I want to start low carb!

Options
I've REALLY been wanting to start low carb. I did it back when I was a junior in high school and it worked really well, but it was under my mother's dime. Fast forward a couple years and I'm living on my own, and honestly can only put $20-$30 a week towards food. Even $30 is pushing it. I've got $20 to last me until Thursday (payday), and I need to go grocery shopping. After this week I can start shopping in two week intervals if need be. Is this doable? What should I do about this week? Please help! :(

Replies

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the cheapest to buy ( bread ect)
    Hunny weight loss is math, as long as your at a caloric deficit you can have a KD twinkie diet..
    I'd vouch that you focus on eating carbs for your budget so its not so stressful, make healthy eating or low carb a priority when you can afford it :disappointed_relieved:

however, if you insist, carb cycle to lose lots of weight, buy fresh almonds, or peanut butter / and focus on greens and protein...buy a pack of chicken, boil it, top it with salsa.. buy some cheaper romaine lettuce head and have some eggs
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Perfectly do-able.

Buy a London Broil, a rotisserie chicken, a dozen eggs and some cheese.
    Spend the rest of the cash on veggies.

Done.

ETA: use up the last of your carbs in the house (pasta, wraps etc.) to get you through till the following payday. Keep track of the supermarket circulars, shop when sales start, around here, it's Wednesday.

Lunches/Dinners can be sliced london broil with veggies a-la-fajita style (with a wrap)
    a bit of sliced bell pepper & onion and you've got stir fry
    egg salad on a bed of lettuce with cheese
    chicken salad served with veggies
    chicken parm, a handful of chicken dressed with marinara & melted mozz
    (london broil) steak & eggs

I could go on and on =D

• hookilau
    Options
    For the shopping list the following week, I would include ground beef to make meatballs for meatball marinara and or meatball soup (lunch or dinner) or mini meatloaves.

Wait till plum tomatoes (or any tomatoes really) are on sale & stock up.
    Buy a few pounds, and quarter them, pop them into a baking tin with a head of garlic, topped with olive oil and wrapped in foil. Add a wee bit of salt, Italian seasonings and roast in the oven covered with foil at 350*F for about 3-4 hours or until browned & tomatoes are very soft. When stone cold, toss into magic bullet (or blender or you can even use a submersible hand blender) with the roasted garlic that you removed from the skin & yum...instant marinara sauce for meatballs, chicken parm etc.

Save the bones from your rotisserie chicken from the previous week in a bag in the freezer, when you have about 2 #'s of bones, it's time to make chicken soup. For this you'll need a crock pot. (check CraigsList or maybe a friend has one you can borrow). This can also be done in an oven with a large stock pot or dutch oven but for this post, I'll discuss the crock pot method.

Toss bones into crock pot, add celery, carrots, whole head of garlic, onion and a few pepper corns. Fill the rest of the pot with water & let 'er rip @ low setting for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

Drain through strainer when done & discard all solids. Put a pot on the stove & add your fresh chicken stock. Add chopped celery, onion, carrot, parsley, bay leaf and salt to taste.

When veggies are tender, add chopped chicken & maybe some shirataki noodles. Portion out into pint containers & freeze for later use.

I also make a version of this with teeny meatballs instead of chopped chicken.

• Catvocado
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses.

Daynerz- I know and I was doing so great for a while just watching what I was eating but my boyfriend got extremely sick and had to quit his job and has been basically bedridden for the last six months so then I had to take a higher paying job overnights because I'm paying for all the bills now and between the night shifts, the stress and my depression flaring up I cannot control my eating when it comes to carbs. Binge binge binge. I've put on 20 pounds alone in the last couple months pretty much from bread and rice and potatoes and my skin is so out of whack so I'm so desperate. I've been slowly losing weight now but its losing then gaining then losing then gaining. I swear my weight shifts faster than my moods! hahaha

Cutting out carbs not only curbs my appetite but it makes it to where I don't have to think about what I'm eating all the time because my options are more sparse. Eventually I will work my way back to into a healthy regimen of eating a little bit of everything but I need to get to a better place mentally for me to be successful.

hookilau- Great ideas! One question, how would you suggest cooking a London Broil? I'm not the most experienced in cooking cow :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    hookilau wrote: »
    Perfectly do-able.

Buy a London Broil, a rotisserie chicken, a dozen eggs and some cheese.
    Spend the rest of the cash on veggies.

Done.

Depends on where you live. There would be no $ left for veggies if I bought all that.
  • Catvocado
    Options
    At Target I've seen what I call "baby steaks". a 10 pack for $11. Maybe I'll get that payday and spread it out over two weeks instead of the broil.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    London broil is typically the cheapest cut of beef and on sale quite often. It's also the toughest and not the best tasting IMHO (tastes liver-y to me). However, I have had it cooked one was that was pretty good...slow and low, like in a crockpot, with a can of cream of mushroom and an envelope of onion soup mix. Chuck is typically cheaper as well.

I'd just recommend checking out the fliers for your local grocery stores online to see what's on sale. My local market has had pork sirloin chips on sale quite a bit lately, like $3 a pound! Pair that with some store brand stove-top stuffing and green beans and you've put a meal together for very little money.

Some fish can be pretty cheap too.

Before you buy rotisserie, see if buying a whole chicken would be cheaper (per pound). While you have to put more work into it, you can also get a lot more meals out of it. Either way, boil the carcass with some veggies for a yummy broth for soup.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    On the rotisserie front, if you have a Fred Meyer near you go there at about 9pm and usually they'll have marked down the prepared chicken for super cheap.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Before you buy rotisserie, see if buying a whole chicken would be cheaper (per pound). While you have to put more work into it, you can also get a lot more meals out of it. Either way, boil the carcass with some veggies for a yummy broth for soup.

I agree with this. Also, save what you trim from vegetables - tops, onion or garlic skins, peels, etc. - for the broth. They will add flavor and you can just strain them out. I add trimmings to a large ziploc in the freezer until I'm ready to make broth.

Also, frozen vegetables are much cheaper than fresh, so when you are planning to the cook the vegetable anyway, go with frozen.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and I watch the flyers for multiple stores every week. I've learned over time what is a good deal, what is a REALLY good deal, and when I should only buy if I REALLY need it. I've been making alot of chicken based dinners lately because they've had some really good sales.

As with any way of eating, stretching a dollar is best when you buy the items on sale. I'm not sure how much space you have available, but buy the really good deals and freeze them.
    The good thing is you can buy the cheapest ground beef because its the higher fat content but thats GOOD for low carbers. Eggs are also pretty cheap.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a staple for me. Cheapest proteins to get would be canned tuna and chicken. I have that with mayo plus a veggie side for lunch a lot. I usually buy my vegetables frozen when they go on sale. I get spinach, mushrooms, and squash fresh. Frozen Tilapia and chicken breast bags go on sale frequently, as well. Look for coupons for cottage cheese and the bagged shredded or cubed cheeses too.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Also, save what you trim from vegetables - tops, onion or garlic skins, peels, etc. - for the broth.

Escoffier wept.

Put garbage in your stock and you get a garbage stock.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am low income, and I think counting calories is far cheaper than following a diet. My own way of eating is high carb, if anything. And I lost nearly 60lbs, been in maintenance for 5 months.

if you are a diabetic or something, Id consider it.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i go to the grocery outlet and buy sausage, cheese, hummus, vegetables and berries.. eggs i would buy if i didnt have chickens, i also buy things but dont necessarily eat the rice.. i buy seaweed, almonds.
    The 99 cent store has a lot of things for a dollar.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    with 20 or 30 bucks a week to spend on food, I'd be eating a lot of staple foods, like oatmeal, rice, bread, potatoes, pasta. They store well, give good calories per dollar.

Anyways, my diary is open, feel free to check it out if you'd like to see a more low cost way of eating.
  • Catvocado
    Options
    I suppose I'll use what foods I have left for the week and supplement some fruits and veggies with my last $20. I'll concentrate on sticking to healthy eating and track everything and see if I at least feel better doing this than the free-for-all I've been having. If I'm not satisfied I could always try low carb later on!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Catvocado wrote: »
    I suppose I'll use what foods I have left for the week and supplement some fruits and veggies with my last $20. I'll concentrate on sticking to healthy eating and track everything and see if I at least feel better doing this than the free-for-all I've been having. If I'm not satisfied I could always try low carb later on!

I understand you may not be able to eat low carb or exactly what you want right now, but to keep yourself from a free-for-all, think of ways to supplement your carbs to keep yourself more full. You need protein and fat, and thats what helps keep you full.

• Catvocado
    Options
    I'm going to go to the store right now. I think I'm going to get some more frozen veg, milk (I already have oats), tuna and eggs. I'll mix the tuna or eggs with some rice and veggies and sriracha or seasonings. If I can swing it I want to get a container of cottage cheese. I've got a couple cans of pineapple and peaches (in juice not syrup) that I bet would taste amazing mixed in. Thanks guys! Keep posting ideas though, please! :)
  • hookilau
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here in NY, Costco has rotisserie chickens for $4.99 each. It's cheaper than the Perdue oven stuffer roasters, they are usually .99/# on sale to 1.20/#

I buy 3 of them every Friday night & strip them of the meat. Bones go into the deep freeze & meat gets split up into different containers. I use it during the week to mix into veggie casseroles, soups, salads & much of the above mentioned recipes.

You can look up your local supermarket online to check their weekly circular.

What might be a better option for you is to look through the circular, choose foods that you like & can work with.

Then post again for ideas for using recipes with those ingredients.

For example:
    Skinless boneless chicken breast is on sale at my local supermarket at 1.99/#
    I can make 3#'s of chicken breast go a looong way.

chicken cutlets
    chicken marinara
    lemon chicken
    chicken salad
    grilled chicken salad

• Catvocado
    Options
    Good idea (: I'll be sure to post for suggestions based off what's on sale next week!

I think I'm going to be alright this week.

Based off of what I got and what I already had my options looks like:
    • Deviled Egg Salad on a bed of Baby Spinach
    • Ground Turkey/Tuna/Eggs with rice and veggies (this will be my dinner staple)
    • Hard Boiled Eggs on Toast
    • Cottage Cheese with Pineapple/Peaches
    • Oatmeal with half milk/half water (to stretch milk), Earthbalance, Splenda
    • I have a couple Yoplait lights, sweet potatoes (maybe topped with beans/salsa?) and some cheese left that I can use for snacks

Pretty sure a few of these things will only last the next 3-4 days but that's okay! I can rice fast for a couple days if need be haha