My little snacking problem

Options
Well I'm new to this website and forum thing, so I decided Id try it out.
I'd just like a little help, and motivation with this little snacking problem I have.
basically, Over the years I've picked up the terrible habit of snacking. I rarely eat big meals, but feed my self with little snacks.
this has led to quite a lot of weight gain and now I just find it impossible not to snack :(
Any help please !
I really want to just eat healthily
Cheers

Replies

• Kaylalovewell
    Options
    snacking is a great thing if it is done with the right foods :) it's better to have 6 small meals (snacks) a day than to eat 3 bigger meals.
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Its all about what you snack on. Ive been on 1310 calories a day for 3 months, and I never eat large meals either. I constantly graze on food in the kitchen, but what ive done is replaced all the bad processed fattening snacks with healthier choices. Smaller meals are supposed to be better for you anyways, and I feel better constantly feeding my body small amounts then trying to jam it all into one meal.

Some of the things I snack on- Hard Boiled Eggs, Yoplait Yogurt, Reduced Fat Triscuts with Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges....I buy a huge veggie tray at the beginning of the month, and pick at it.

Hope this helps!
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When you say snacking do you mean eating junk food? Junk food will need to be cut out if you are trying to lose weight. However, you can eat 5 smaller meals a day instead of the standard 3 meals. It may prevent you from snacking...it keeps your belly satisified. I'm a recovering snacker...if I do it now it's something healthy...almonds, carrot sticks, etc. The calorie counting definitely helps...it will allow you to see how much you are putting in and how much you need for the day. Have you entered all your info...current weight, target weight,etc? MFP will give you your target caloric intake for the day.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think the two best changes to start with are:
    1 - Figure out what you're getting from your snacks now and make the appropriate changes:
    If it's chocolate/sweets, make your snacks fibrous fruit like plums, apples, mangoes, and oranges.
    If it's salty/chips, make your snacks lemon juice over spinach/greens, or citrus fruits like grapefruit and tangerines.
    If it's savories/rich foods, make your snacks a healthier version: veggie burgers for regular burgers, lean turkey meatballs (they are fun to make!) for any kind of bite-size meat snacks, or deli meats with celery. If you don't eat meat, sunflower butter/almond butter with celery and apples is great too. Or hummus :)

Also, if you look at when you snack you will be more aware of snacking before it happens. For me, I always snack when I watch TV so if I'm thinking "I'm likely to snack while Glee is on," I won't eat as much. Maybe write it out and leave yourself little notes. We're not perfect, we all need reminders! :)

Hope this helps!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    nuts are fantastic for snacking on! I just measure out portions and put in baggies and then eat a bag or two every day! Walnuts and Almonds are the best!
    I also replaced cookies with apples and chips with baby carrots.
    I eat 6 smallish meals a day, with dinner being my largest meal usually.
    I am at 1370 cals a day, so the smaller meals make more sense for me too.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I try to keep fruit handy so that I won't choose cheetos or chocolate to snack on.