Fruit is amazing!

Options
So I've eaten horribly most of my adult life, I know this, this is why I'm here. But now, something amazing has happened. I've discovered strange and miraculous fruits that I never knew existed, and oh boy I've been missing out. Honeycrisp apples - AMAZING. Comice pears - AMAZING. Cotton Candy grapes? Seriously? AMAZING! The list goes on and on. Where did all of these candies of the heavens come from? When I was a kid we had red or gold apples, purple or green grapes, and tiny little bartlett pears.

This eating better thing is still hard, but not as hard as I thought it'd be!

Let's hear it, what is your favorite fruit that you've discovered?

Replies

• khambo49
    Options
    Bananas are my fave. And grapefruit. Nothing too exotic.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not a new discovery for me since my grandparents have grown them since long before I was born, but FIGS! If you haven't had one...... try one! My favorite. Excellent fresh, frozen, preserved, whatever. And make for a great creamy addition to any smoothie. A more recent discovery- honeydew nectarine. Wow! Super sweet and delicious, though I don't often see them. I totally agree with the honeycrisp apples too.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I love love loveee watermelon, pineapple, and mango :D
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree on the honeycrisps! Divine! Also a newer apple variety - sweet tango! I'm experimenting with mixing different fruits for my morning smoothies, and one combo I love is pineapple, banana, and blueberry! Now if I could only keep the bananas in my house long enough.... :p
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not a great fruit eater before, but they offer tremendous value for calories as a snack. Bananas are excellent for the carb boost, Strawberries, small oranges and Pink Lady apples. I have access to a market so its interesting to see what's in season and fresh.

The donit nectraines were my discovery of the year. If you havent tried them you should. the ones with the white flesh are just so sweet and juicy.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I love Mangoes, bananas, grapes, guava, watermelon, jackfruit to start with
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love fruit :yum:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i love strawberries, blueberries, bananas. OMG! LOVE THEM! i will pretty much eat any fruit, but those are the ones i crave. i don't think i've had anything to exotic except for grapples which are apples that taste like grape. YUM! oh, yes, add grilled pineapple to my list!
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I agree on the honeycrisps! Divine! Also a newer apple variety - sweet tango! I'm experimenting with mixing different fruits for my morning smoothies, and one combo I love is pineapple, banana, and blueberry! Now if I could only keep the bananas in my house long enough.... :p
    - Yep, all of this. Love the honeycrisps and an apple we got at Walmart this week called Ambrosia which I haven't had before. I bought a mixed fozen fruit bag at Costco and have been making some amazing smoothies. We picked 40lbs of blueberries this year so blueberries go into everything. Love fruit!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    And nothing is better than well prepared vegetables.
    Well, except pizza. But still, well prepared vegetables are awesome.
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you all are from but have you discovered Tajin yet? It's a chili/lime/salt mix that you sprinkle on fruit. I know some people who put it on a lot more but I save it for my mangos, pineapple, green apples, and watermelon.

http://www.amazon.com/Tajin-Fruit-Snack-Seasoning-5-0/dp/B0000GL6RK
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on discovering the amazing deliciousness of fresh fruits, skr00b! That is a fantastic start to becoming healthier and fitter!

My favorite ways to eat fruit are in my morning oatmeal (I usually add a few different fruits, but use this site to keep my breakfast calorie total, including coffee, down to 300 calories), by itself, in a mixed bowl of fruits, or in a crisp. Fruit pies are super delicious, but I save those for holidays due to the calories from the crust and added sugars.

I seem to love almost all fruits, and I'm sure I'll miss some, but here goes an attempt to list them, not according to season or favorite, but as they pop into my head, so you have an idea of what else might be out there.

*apples (honeycrisp, pink lady, fugi and gala are delicious to me)

*bananas

*pears (bosc are the least gritty inside)

*"apple" pears (also called Asian pears, and my newest favorite fall fruit! They crunch like an apple but taste like a pear, and are super delicious in my morning oatmeal combined with Craisins and pomegranate seeds)

*peaches

*nectarines (hairless peaches! Ha ha)

*oranges (navel, mandarin...they are all good!)

*grapefruits (I prefer the pink fleshed kind as they aren't so sour)

*grapes (champagne grapes are to DIE for! They taste like candy and look so cute being so teensy weensy)

*plums

*pluots

*apricots

*berries (ALL the berries! blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, STRAWBERRIES!!, marionberries, and my local favorite, huckleberries! Yummy!)

*figs

*mango

*pineapple

*melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew (the sweetest one of the smaller melons))

I'm sure there are others I love and forgot to mention. Fruits I like but not necessarily LOVE, are:
    *papaya
    *prickly pear (from a cactus plant--sweet, juicy, pink, beautiful, and full of edible seeds, but boy, can it poke you back!)
    *lemons
    *limes

I love that there is always fruit available in the markets in the States, no matter the time of year, for our enjoyment. I hope you continue to enjoy discovering new and delicious healthy foods as you learn the joys of healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. Welcome aboard!!
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, apples, pears mostly. I ate an entire "family pack" of sliced apples today LOL
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    My favorite fruits are mango, pineapple, bananas (frozen & added to a smoothie), cherries (yum), blueberries, raspberries, & watermelon.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do we have to worry about the high calorie count in most fruits?
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I love fruit some favorites are yellow Rainier cherries,star fruit, bananas, white grapes, summer strawberries, local N.Carolina peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, mango and kiwi
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the calories unless it's causing you to go over your daily or weekly goals.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp, sweet tango and zestar apples were developed at the University of Minnesota. They do not taste the same grown in other regions. This is a fact. The growing conditions here are directly linked to the taste. While the flavor and taste is still good grown in other areas, they are not the same, as our Minnesota grown apples. Ask anyone who lives here. There is a taste, and many times, a texture difference.
  • 165LadyBug
    Options
    Watermelon - can be cut up, frozen and eaten in smoothies during the winter months! Also, like apple pears - so crunchy and juicy.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cotton candy grapes? Never heard of those!

My favorite are still peaches and yellow plums, but the latter are pretty much impossible to find here :(