Am I running really slowly?

Options
catpea33
catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey,

I'm fairly new to running (or rather, I've only just got back into it) and I run about 12 minutes/mile for my speed. I can run faster but can't maintain a faster speed for any great distance because my endurance isn't there. In the past when I was running fairly regularly but was still relatively new (<6 months), I was running at about 10 minutes/mile but, again, it wasn't something I could maintain for very long. A guy today told me that I am 'super slow' and so now I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I mean, I love running and will continue regardless but it's definitely dented my self-confidence a little. Does anyone else run this slowly? Did you get faster?

I guess I should mention as well that I used to be a competitive swimmer and middle distances were more of my thing. I wasn't much of a sprinter. Do you think that would translate into running too, i.e. I'd be better at the longer distances where you get to plod a little more?

Cat

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. The main thing is to be able to run for a sustained period, and with that comes speed.

12 minute mile is pretty reasonable for a new runner.
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like most things in life I think this is relative. To me you are running very fast! See this series of posts from me:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000439/beginning-runner-using-c25k#latest

I would love to be doing 12/min miles, my last pace was 17:24 for a 5k, which is the fastest I have ever done it. I am using the C25k program so I run and walk, and the above is an aggregate over the 3.1 miles. When I run, I am usually around 15 min/mile, but I only maintain that for about 90 seconds at a time currently.

I am getting faster. My Week 1 Day 1 pace was 18:45. So, in 9 days or so I have cut a minute per mile off the pace of a 5k.

My recommendation is to listen to your body. As you progress you will get faster and your endurance will increase. There is a saying lately I have learned to embrace, no matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping the guy (or girl) on the couch.

Keep at it!
  • cray64
    cray64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone says about how fast you run. You do what works for you! As you continue, you will surely have more endurance at an increased speed if that is what your goal is. Unless you are in a race or running from the cops, speed isn't the most important thing. Keep it up and you will see the results you are looking for, but don't let anyone else judge how you do it.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Just keep with it if you enjoy it. I'm a slow runner and ran a few halfs at about 10 min a mile. I got faster as I kept with it but not by much. Just run at a pace & distance that you enjoy :smile:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't worry just run. (*)
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    12 minute mile is very good, and like someone above said, very normal pace for a new runner. That was my go-to treadmill speed for quite awhile when I started. I have been running now for a little over 2 years consistently and my long-run pace is still around 11-11:30 pace. I was thrilled when my mile average for my last half was 11:16. Keep on keepin on!
  • fibbersteve
    fibbersteve Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cat,

I started running (more like jogging) in April this year and I'm a fairly big person (I was 323 lbs in April). Back then I could barely run for more than 2 minutes before I had to stop and catch my breath. I did 1.5 miles in about 26 minutes jogging and walking. I've been jogging for as much as I can (I try to go every day) and I've been at it for the 6th month now.

I now weigh 281 lbs and I tested myself in my 4 mile jog route. I did 4 miles in 57 minutes which translated to 13:43 mph. To get a more accurate time the next day I decided to do a 1.5 mile run and I finished it in 17:30 minutes. I improved by almost 9 minutes from my initial 1.5 mile time in April in the next 6 months.

I'm getting better and I finally found my comfort zone in jogging pace where I can keep going without stopping. Since August I've been alternating between two routes, a 3 mile route and a 4 mile route, so I try to make it my goal to do at least 40-50 miles per month. I do feel like I am going slow, and you're still faster than me, but I do feel like I am getting stronger and building up my endurance by quite a lot.

Track your progress and see how you compare between the months because I do believe our bodies are getting more and more adjusted to the running routine and the longer we keep it up the better we will perform.

The #1 thing that I always think about is trying to improve my best times. I did that this month and I felt really really happy with myself, so next month I'll try to beat that time.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I'm slow as heck. It's cooler so it's a bit better. Took me 43 minutes to run 3 miles without any stops. The first mile was a little over 13 minutes then slowed after that. I don't try to rush it, I just need to get thru it and to one day think hey that was easy. I was doing it in 45 minutes so I'll take the 2 minutes of better time. I just don't want to walk in my 3 miles so I go slow so that I can finish it. Don't worry about what anyone else says, just run for you not for them
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    That guy is an idiot. I am glad you will keep running. I walk about 20 minute miles so I think you are a speed demon. :) it's all relative
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    cray64 wrote: »
    Don't worry about what anyone says about how fast you run. You do what works for you! As you continue, you will surely have more endurance at an increased speed if that is what your goal is. Unless you are in a race or running from the cops, speed isn't the most important thing. Keep it up and you will see the results you are looking for, but don't let anyone else judge how you do it.

I like this advice a lot. I started running in December and because I'm built like a gnome, run for time, not for speed. I built up endurance by adding a minute or so every week at the same speed. I'm now to the point where I can run a little faster and a lot longer. NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That guy. Pshaw! Tell him: "Shut UP dude!"
    God, we all run at our own pace. We all tend to get faster if we keep at it and work. That is what it is all about.
    I could run about 300 yards when I started. Now, I can run miles and miles.
    Forget that idiot. Why would someone say such a thing?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. Tell that guy to piss off, in whatever nice, or not nice fashion you wish.

I don't care how fast someone runs. I just like seeing people running!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    When I began walking/running every day my BMI was at 28, 2 points below Obese Level 1. That was July 2013. I ran a 1.75 mile loop with a 12:40 pace. I caught my breath and power walked the same loop with a 14:40 pace.

Fast forward to now, age 52, 50 lbs. lighter with a BMI under 21. I average running a 9:40 pace and average power walking a 13:10 pace.

All of these paces are what I could comfortably sustain for my weight and fitness level for up to 60 minutes without having to stop to rest.

You are doing great running at a 12:00 pace. Just keep moving, either running or walking.
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your pace sounds like a good one to me, and the comment you got deserves the response "did you mean to be rude?"

I too used to swim for a club before I went to college. I started C25k on the first of May, so I've been straight running/jogging for a couple of months. This evening I managed to do my standard 2.5 miles (recently shifted to the treadmill because evening darkness + no street lights) at 12:00 pace for the first time. I have a healthy BMI, and I'm really pleased with hitting this pace!

Your middle distance swimming was, I'm guessing, 200s or 400s at a push? So the race is still a fairly short one by running standards, but the training you put in to get there was probably long time-wise compared to your current runs. I have no idea whether you'd find longer runs more fun, but enjoyment and hitting your goals should be your target, and not seeking approval of foolish people commenting on your pace.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started running at 242lbs and my miles were about 14 min miles when i could finally run a whole mile at a time. I started running one minute at a time =) I've been running outside for over two years now and my endurance has improved which also translates to a faster mile. I ran 13.33 miles on monday and my avg pace was 10.20 min miles according to my garmin forerunner. I know that doesn't seem that fast but i run a lot slower for my long runs. I wouldn't worry about your mile time unless you plan on running competitively. Enjoy your runs, don't let others get you down on yourself. Your runs will get longer and faster w time =)
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I heart this whole thread.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I finished C25K I was about 13 min per mile so 12 min sounds great to me. That was last summer. When I run I always just run the 5K program so I run for 30 minutes and I am around 10:30. That is with missing weeks of running at a time. You do get better as time goes along.

That guy is a jerk to say that to you.
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    catpea33 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm fairly new to running (or rather, I've only just got back into it) and I run about 12 minutes/mile for my speed. I can run faster but can't maintain a faster speed for any great distance because my endurance isn't there. In the past when I was running fairly regularly but was still relatively new (<6 months), I was running at about 10 minutes/mile but, again, it wasn't something I could maintain for very long. A guy today told me that I am 'super slow' and so now I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I mean, I love running and will continue regardless but it's definitely dented my self-confidence a little. Does anyone else run this slowly? Did you get faster?

I guess I should mention as well that I used to be a competitive swimmer and middle distances were more of my thing. I wasn't much of a sprinter. Do you think that would translate into running too, i.e. I'd be better at the longer distances where you get to plod a little more?

Cat

Go by heart rate. Who cares if a guy runs faster.
    Sounds like an idiot anyway because speed does not mean anything unless your racing. I do 23 minute miles sometimes on 7% incline and get great results. Just ignore the morons that would say dumb stuff like that. Focus on yourself and don't be so self conscious. It's not about impressing other people it's about being happy with yourself. If you let others dictate your self worth and happiness where does that lead you? Think about it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are pushing yourself, then it does not matter how fast you are. You're actually sprinting compared to me. I jog a 16 minute mile and I can't do it any faster without stopping every couple of minutes. I do feel I'm pushing myself so that's all that matters.

I'm currently gradually increasing time before I start working on speed. If you are content with your time and want to work on your speed you may want to try to run ever so slightly faster, to make a mile in 11.5 minutes and go from there. That's what I will be doing once I can run 45 minutes nonstop without walking breaks.

Just decide what your goal is and gradually work on it. Personally I don't think sprints or marathons are my thing. I'm more of a 5k person.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Tell him to JOG ON !! Your speed is just fine and will continue at your own pace and get better or stay the same it doesn't matter. He is probably jealous because he cant run.
    I started at 18 mm now doing 13 mm so you are faster than me so if he wants to tell me im slow send him my way ill give him a response he deserves.

Keep going hunny you are awesome! xx