Why I Decided to Make A Change

Options
Hi my name is Summer and I just started my journey with MyFitnessPal.

At 33, I am already hypertensive with blood pressure reading ranging from 150/90 to 190/100. I am practically a bomb walking. I had it when I was 27 and doctors are crediting it to my genes. Recently I met with a cardiologist who diagnosed me with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. In layman's terms, my heart's muscle is starting to get thicker because it works double time due to hypertension.

I currently have a BMI of 30.2 which is technically obese. For the past 3 years, I have gained approximately 30 to 40 pounds. Being married to a man who loves life and celebrates it with food is not making it easy for me to stick to a diet plan. He tries but I also get easily swayed when he slacks off.

We got married last May and we are planning to have children soon. I know that pregnancy and delivery increases the health risks for the mother. I have to have a better health to be able to pull through. I want to be there for my family, on my own feet, taking care of them and not the other way around.

I have started pushing it harder in the gym with the guidance of a trainer who knows my health condition, and every time I feel the urge to binge or recklessly eat unhealthy food, I think about being a good mother and being able to travel with my family.

I cleaned our kitchen and threw away all junks. I read articles and success stories to help me with my daily challenges. Most importantly, I went public with my journey. I was embarrassed to even talk about it before but I guess now that I know people are expecting changes from me, I have more accountability to them and to myself.

I hope that we all reach our goals. I know that I will learn a lot from most of you!

Replies

• stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also involved w/a great man who loves food and reaped the negative benefits too! :)

Best of luck to us both!
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm Steve. In January of this year my wife and I went to the doctor. I had been having migraines for over a week. When I stepped on the scale my jaw could have hit the floor. I weighed in at a whopping 341 pounds. I was the biggest that I have ever been in my life. I was on high blood pressure meds, hypertension meds, high cholesterol, and prediabetic. I knew my weight had crept up but I had no idea how high it was. We decided then that something had to change. With a lot of support from my wife and friends I have dropped 110 pounds and transformed myself. I understand where most people are coming from because I have been there. If you are looking for advice, motivation, support, and or want to chat about my journey feel free to add me and send a message. I want to pay it forward and inspire others to reach their goals.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My ex-fiance had the same condition that forced him to have open heart surgery. He was obese, and struggled to lose weight because of the restrictions he was on for the rest of his life because it can always continue to grow. So make sure your trainer is fully trained on the condition. I only say so, not in means to scare you, but because if over-worked, it is a condition that can kill with little warning. Many athletes suddenly pass away during training because of it. So just be sure to follow your doctor's orders as close as possible. However, I have faith that you will be able to do it. I can't imagine how rough it is, even being with someone with the condition for almost 10 years. I bid you good luck! :smiley:
  • forestwitch
    forestwitch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Summer, you have the right motivation and you have taken the correct first steps. Keep your affirmations firm in your mind and you can do this. Sending all positive energy to you and your husband. :)