Kind of "new" here- The Benefit of Friends?

Options
jennjenn1216
jennjenn1216 Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2014 in Introduce Yourself
I've been using MFP for a little over two months now, so I'm not 'exactly' new... but I am curious about something. I see people in the message boards asking for friends, but what does it mean to have friends on here? How do they motivate each other? What can they see? Does it help with motivation and accountability?

Replies

• loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    it's great, up to each individual as to what the others can see, but if your profile and diary are open to friends you get better advice. you get to see the things people have done and what they eat and it's inspiring :P
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've recently signed up to the site to keep a journal of the food I consume, I wasn't aware there was a social aspect at first. I've slowly added people / they added me and seeing their posts daily about their own food journals / exercises helps me remain focused and dedicated. If I'm struggling with anything I'm receiving such great support from friends I've met on here. In particular one friend recently said that they were reading a certain fitness magazine, I bought a copy of it and have now subscribed to it. Other peoples knowledge / advice is helping me and am thankful for the support I receive and people saying well done may seem like a small thing but it helps my mindset in that it keeps driving me on. I'm also interested in other peoples stories and what their goals area, what they're doing to work towards their goals and if there was any support that I could offer them. :smiley:
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Unless you are part of a weight loss group, you probably know how everyone in your "real life" gets tired of hearing about your weight loss, exercise efforts, and other struggles? Well, that's what MFP friends are for! We are intensely interested in the fact that you could fit into that old favorite pair of jeans from your college days. We love hearing the ideas you have on recipes and quick breakfasts. We are here for you in the ways that people in your regular life might not be. In my life, my boyfriend eats 3 homemade burgers while I eat a salad. My coworkers eat whole boxes of doughnuts. n MFP, I know that everyone here is in the same battle, though their battlefield may be laid out a bit different. We all are on the same road. I've met people on here that I have seen transform in amazing ways, both mentally and physically. I don't think I could do this without my little support group! And most studies on the matter have shown that weight loss programs benefit heavily on having support groups and people to confide in and vent to. We need our MFP friends and they need us.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a little over two months now, so I'm not 'exactly' new... but I am curious about something. I see people in the message boards asking for friends, but what does it mean to have friends on here? How do they motivate each other? What can they see? Does it help with motivation and accountability?

Some need that emotional support & camaraderie. While others prefer to be the lone wolf. It all depends on your personality and what will be helpful to your journey.

When you add a MFP friend their activities will show up in your HOME news feed. ie. Jane Doe completed her food diary. Then you have the opportunity to 'LIKE' the status and/or comment on it ie. Good job. And vice versa - your info will show up in their HOME news feed.

Another potential benefit is that if your food diary is opened then some may look at it & give you feedback if you are struggling & asking for help.

But it boils down to what kind of support you are in need of & looking for.

Word of Caution: I do feel some has a bit of the Facebook-Friend-Hoarding Syndrome (my own name for them ;) ). I can hardly keep up with 50 MFP friends much less a couple of hundred. So if you add, pick wisely.
    Some also tend to use MFP as their social media or a dating website where they disclose everything & anything or try to pick someone up via PM. I block those people because I don't want to read about anyone's sex life (in detail) on my Exercise & Fitness tracker nor am I here to find romance.

Best of luck to you!
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm Steve. In January of this year my wife and I went to the doctor. I had been having migraines for over a week. When I stepped on the scale my jaw could have hit the floor. I weighed in at a whopping 341 pounds. I was the biggest that I have ever been in my life. I was on high blood pressure meds, hypertension meds, high cholesterol, and prediabetic. I knew my weight had crept up but I had no idea how high it was. We decided then that something had to change. With a lot of support from my wife and friends I have dropped 110 pounds and transformed myself. I understand where most people are coming from because I have been there. If you are looking for advice, motivation, support, and or want to chat about my journey feel free to add me and send a message. I want to pay it forward and inspire others to reach their goals.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Having a great, active, open diary friends list has been a HUGE help getting me off my feet with this journey! I stalk diaries for great food ideas - when I am debating plans, etc - I ask questions, and when I'm not checking in - many of them are reminding me to do so - and 'checking in' keeps me accountable and actively working towards my goals!
  • jennjenn1216
    jennjenn1216 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! I think I'll go find some friends. :)
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I find it great to compare diaries and get ideas of what to eat from others. Also it keeps you more accountable as don't like talking about losing lbs with my friends or coworkers. Also I like the banter with people with similar goals but all at different stages and from different places.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No...my friends take my lunch money :(