Snacks for my hubby

Options
So my man has decided he wants to eat better and asked that I pack food to eat during the day rather than eating fast food or hitting wawa. I make him breakfast in the morning, pack him a sandwich on whole grain for lunch and we eat dinner together. He asked for more snacks to eat during the day to keep from getting ravenous between meals. I've been giving him fruit, nuts, no sugar applesauce but he's getting bored. FYI - He gets very dirty at work and likes things he doesn't have to touch with his hands to eat. Any suggestions to keep him on track and avoid boredom?

Replies

• liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear some of these ideas too. My husband is in the same boat.
  • sek92
    sek92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cliff bars, trail mix , healthy muffins, fruit, some wraps, string cheese; this is what my husband has on hand in his office
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    protein mix, sugar free pudding
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Granola Bars, there are many different varietys,
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    lowfat cottage cheese
    lowfat/light yogurt
    Clif bars
    string cheese
    hardboiled eggs, already peeled
    grilled chicken breast, cut into strips

He wouldn't necessarily have to handle anything you put in a ziploc bag. He could use the bag as kind of a glove around his hand and eat directly out of the bag.
  • nezeray
    nezeray Posts: 34
    Options
    Here's my list for work. I eat during the day and work on a computer so sticky stuff like Apples and Oranges don't work.

Almonds, cashews, dried pineapple and raisins can all be eaten with a spoon. I keep a spoon in my HUGE container of raisins.

Fruit cups with Splenda are good and low cal.

Healthy granola bars, like Aldi Fit & Active bars are good, hold onto the wrapper.

Coolaid with splenda gives you the flavor of something more than water so it helps.

Hope that helps!

James the Picky Eater
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    [/quote]
    He wouldn't necessarily have to handle anything you put in a ziploc bag. He could use the bag as kind of a glove around his hand and eat directly out of the bag.
    [/quote]

LOL this is what he does, thats why he can do the sandwich.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i make wasabi covered almonds its super easy and has a nice kick its pretty tasty i also make sweet and spicy ones too
    Wasabi Almonds

Ingredients
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon water
    1 pound (3 cups) whole natural almonds
    2 tablespoons wasabi powder
    2 teaspoons coarse salt
    2 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions
    Preheat oven to 275°F. Line a sided baking sheet with greased foil or parchment paper. Whisk egg white and water together until foamy. Add almonds and toss to coat. Transfer to a sieve; toss gently and let drain.

Stir together wasabi powder, salt and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add almonds and toss to coat. Spread almonds on baking sheet in a single layer, and bake 30 minutes. Gently stir, reduce temperature to 200°F and continue baking 20 more minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Serve, or store airtight for up to a week.

Nutritional Analysis
    Per serving for 16 servings:

Calories 157
    Fat 13g
    Saturated 1.3g
    Monounsaturated 8.7g
    Polyunsaturated 2.8g
    Carb 7g
    Protein 4g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Fiber 4g
    Calcium 73mg
    Magnesium 79mg
    Sodium 225mg
    Potassium 202mg
    Vitamin E 1.4mg
  • megansmom311
    Options
    My hubby usually takes strawberry yogurt, a banana, and some 100 calorie white chocolate pretzels. :flowerforyou:
  • mlrtym44
    mlrtym44 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well I think if you are trying to lose the weight, you should stay away from a bunch of fruits. 2 bananas’ and I am all ready pretty much at my daily sugar. Popcorn isn't bad in moderation. Again stay away from this if lots of other carbs. Tuna pouches are very good. You can spice those up with a little Lawry’s or Cajun spices. Nuts are good in moderation, but can be high on fats, even though they are good fats. Veggies, veggies, veggies, veggies. Even they I get burnt out on carrots and stuff too. Drinking lots of water really helps curb hunger too. I have been trying to limit my carbs, so I have really raised my protein intake and fat a bit. So most of my meals are planned around more protein type foods. You just have to get creative. I can be very picky so it is hard for me. I tried eating boiled eggs, just the egg white, with either Texas Pete or salsa. It was very difficult for me to swallow, so I stopped that. If he likes boiled eggs then that is a great snack. You have to just get creative.
    Try this as a sweet tooth snack.
    One sweet potato cooked.
    One scoop of your favorite protein powder (anything chocolate works great here)
    Blend that all together for like a chocolate pudding type thing. After time add things like cinnamon, peanut butter, nutmeg. It can be very good and curve that sweet tooth. A bit high in carbs, but has added protein to help.