Just say no to Hershey

Options
As I mentioned in my introduction, my husband and I are truck drivers. One of the places we pick up freight from is Hershey. Well, this nice company offers free candy bars to truck drivers when they check in at the gate. It is NOT easy to just say "no" to a handful of candy bars. But I did!!!

Replies

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Well done you.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That is definitely progress :) I don't even like Hershey's chocolate but I wouldn't wanna test my willpower against free chocolate bars.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Would have brought them home to the kids as they would never forgive me otherwise.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yay you! Call that a major victory. I will admit that my first thought upon reading the post's headline was, " ...and say YES to Ghirardelli, DAGOBA, Green & Black, etc..." I do LOVE a good dark chocolate and treat myself to one square or about 1/3 of a portion each and every day!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Way to go. You are strong.

When I first read the title I thought of the old episode of Nanny and the Professor where Fran's mother slaps her hand over her heart and urges Franny to "get my medicine", then Franny grabs a spoon from the drawer and rushes to the fridge where she grabs the bottle of Hersheys syrup, squeezes it into the spoon and hands it to her mom.
  • NaomiNoel21
    NaomiNoel21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a nightmare!
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I will admit that my first thought upon reading the post's headline was, " ...and say YES to Ghirardelli, DAGOBA, Green & Black, etc..." I do LOVE a good dark chocolate and treat myself to one square or about 1/3 of a portion each and every day!

LOL. Yeah, no reason not to eat chocolate if the calories work out for the day. Sometimes that stuff isn't too bad, calorie-wise. But Hershey's would so NOT be worth it :smile: (Although free? Hmmmm ...)

Where I live, in Kathmandu, storekeepers will honest to gosh give change in candy. If you buy something and they owe you a small amount, like 2 or 3 rupees, they keep a drawer full of little candy and give that instead. Mostly I don't take it, but I've been known to give candy back as money. "Well, you gave me this yesterday and said it was three rupees!" They just grin and take it, what can they do?
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Way to go. You are strong.

When I first read the title I thought of the old episode of Nanny and the Professor where Fran's mother slaps her hand over her heart and urges Franny to "get my medicine", then Franny grabs a spoon from the drawer and rushes to the fridge where she grabs the bottle of Hersheys syrup, squeezes it into the spoon and hands it to her mom.

This had me LOLLING... thanks for the image.

And Forestwitch wtg there. I find it very challenging turning Down the occasional free treats as well as all the times we are offered treats at Work.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here's some motivation for not eatting Hershey...

mc1ep1v4eq8e.jpg
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I know if I were to have chocolate, free or otherwise, at my disposal it would be GONE! Best to just say no.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We don't eat hershey's because you can get good imported chocolate for less. Heck the dollar store 1.00 chocolate bars are better. Plus I get Palmer's chocolates that are made here in PA too and aren't run by a giant corporation.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I received a rude PM from someone who thought my post referred to child labour in the US. Cocoa is imported from other countries, into the US where it is manufactured into chocolate. The child labour happens on the cocoa farms (Eg in Africa).
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    metta4 wrote: »
    I received a rude PM from someone who thought my post referred to child labour in the US. Cocoa is imported from other countries, into the US where it is manufactured into chocolate. The child labour happens on the cocoa farms (Eg in Africa).

Thanks so much for posting, Metta. I didn't know about the issues in chocolate -- now I do. But I see child laborers all the time. It's pervasive, and much of it is really modern-day slavery. Fighting child labor is part of what my husband does for a living. It's a complicated issue that I could talk about all day, and it obviously extends to chocolate, in a big way.

Google will tell you a lot. I'm finding it very educational. It seems the bad news is that almost everything you can possibly get now WAS made with child/slave labor. (There are fair trade chocolate options, and that's ideal if you live where it's sold, but that's a tiny drop in the bucket and a niche market.)

The good news is that the handful of chocolate corporations that control the global market almost exclusively -- Hershey's being one -- actually have signed onto agreements to make changes. I know it's slow going and it's probably half b.s., but that's what has to happen to make a difference. (Not all the b.s. is from the corporations, either. Like I said: complicated issue.) Hershey's seems to have a gourmet line (Scharffen Berger, Dagoba and Bliss) that's child labor free, for those who want to support corporations in making change. (And yeah, it's change for a profit, but that's their job.)

Anyhow, it seems that our extra calories and fitness issues can come at the expense of slaves. I'd never looked at it that way. Charming. It seems that trying to be an ethical consumer is at least one way to control a sudden desire to grab some piece of junk off the shelf :smile:

Thanks again for the info!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I could not say no
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't even like Hershey and I wouldn't have been able to do that! Way to go, you rock!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!