C25K, what are your thoughts?

Options
I really want to get into running, would using the C25K app help me get into it, or would I be better off going out and free running? I figured if I done C25K that it would have a good standard for me to go by. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I felt it helped me meet progressive goals in smaller chunks. It also set things up in such a way that I was going to let my body (tendons, ligaments, muscles, etc.) adapt gradually to running so I wouldn't injure myself. It got me to my first 5K a couple years ago.
  • CiciRoscoe
    CiciRoscoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I loved this program! For the first time I was able to maintain running/jogging without stopping totally excellent choice if you are looking to start running regularly.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am not done but I don't think I would have been able to stick with a running program without C25K. I would have either gotten overwhelmed or even possibly injured without the structure of this program.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you are already in reasonable shape it will probably be a little slow but some people just skip ahead a few weeks. I was part of the Cool Running community around the time it became popular but I've never actually tried it. My sister did it and loved it but she wasn't in great shape.

You can always give it a try or just start running for a mile or so and see how you feel as you go. If you can run a mile straight you probably don't need the program but you never know till you try.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I used it in 2009 to get started, got up to 7 miles, then slowly lost my running in the last 2 years for many reasons. I am back on it, because even as an experienced runner I find I don't progress well without that external "push" telling me I must and I CAN!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I found that it helped me to start running without injuring myself. In the past I'd gone out, overdone it and injured myself. So by limiting the progress it prevented me overdoing it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7. I could actually run about 2 miles before starting, but I think the program set-up of run/walk intervals in the early weeks helped me focus on pacing a bit more. And it kept me motivated since I knew it was only going to be X minutes at a time, which is much more manageable mentally, at least for me.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm on week 4 right now. I never thought I'd be able to run for 5 whole minutes.

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You could probably do it every other day and get through it quicker. At 18 with only 20 pounds to lose I think youll be fine.