I have to do this, I have no choice

Options
I am currently 5'6 and about 320lb. Not only am I just sick of being this fat but I just feel bad all the time, my hips hurt, my feet kill me and did I mention that I am the mother of a set of 7 year old twins.. But that's still not the #1 reason I want/have to lose this weight. My daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia back last year and we are planning to take her make a wish trip in March 2015. She wished to go to Disney World. When I think about how this trip is suppose to be a week away from all her usual worries and woe's and just a week to be a normal kid and not worry about any doctors appt. or chemo treatments, pokes, or spinal taps. Just worry about what to do next on the list of endless fun things to do, and then I think about me and how I have a hard time walking up a flight of stairs and from what I've read the average person walks anywhere between 10-15 miles a day at Disney.. Plus how many of the rides am I not going to fit in. I CAN'T be the one that makes this trip less then what it should be and that spectacular. I want to at least try to loose 5lbs a week- and yes I already read how that's not a healthy amount to lose, but I can focus more on the healthier way to do this after Mar. I desperately need to shed this weight. I'm going to try as hard as I can and I just pray that I am so super proud of myself come March. The downfall- I can't start my weight loss journey until Thursday due to a stress fracture.. So I'm going to spend the next few days getting super motivated, scanning the internet for any tips and tricks I think may help and then Thurs. I'm going to start what I hope will be a successful journey.. Wish me luck.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I do wish you luck.

But I also think you need to reassess some things if you are going to have best chance of success.
    Aim for at most 2lb per week - although you may have higher weekly losses on the beginning.

Also no need to scan the Internet for tips and tricks and no need to postpone starting until Thursday - that's almost a week away, don't wait, start now.

Also, not trying to be rude, but huge slabs of text without paragraphs and spacings are very hard to read.
    Try to break it up next time please. :)
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My best wishes are with you. I know how important my children are to me and I know where you are coming from.... I would, however and honestly, start now with what you can do. You can change your intake to something healthy and comfortable for you that will help with your weight loss. I am not sure what your stress fracture limits you to, but if you can be more active even with the fracture and work yourself up to those 10-15 miles you would like to be at for your trip.... go slow, do not overwork yourself or under eat. If your main focus is this trip for your daughter then you need to take it slow. You could risk yourself further injury and illness going about weight loss the wrong way and that would be unfair to you and your daughter. Work gradually towards your goal. Walking more every day and eating better as well.
  • Bulbmore4
    Bulbmore4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you and your daughter. I hope for you both you are taking better care of yourself which will be the success. The number coming down will happen when you take care of yourself. Be careful and smart. Getting worse would not be cool so don't hurt your body by going to intense to soon with exercise. So and steady and hope that wins the race towards health. We can do it together.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You CAN start today! Do not wait and don't make excuses... I've been there and done that for nearly fifty years. TOO LONG!
    The perfect time to start is NOW! You don't have to exercise - all you have to do is eat at a deficit every single day! Just do that and you will start losing weight.
    I have a joint disease so I do not exercise like everyone else on here - I just eat at a deficit and have consistently lost about 1 pound a week. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it's sustainable and I'm now down over 55 lbs in less than 9 months. I feel so much better and you will too.
    Please...Just get started....
    And BTW, I'm sorry that your child is having to suffer with this horrible disease and all the crap that goes along with fighting it. I know you are hurting for her (Every parent's nightmare) but don't make it worse by not taking care of your health issues.
    You can do this and everyone on MFP is here to cheer you on.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You have 33 weeks till March 1 if you start a calorie deficit now.
    The only thing that I can say about aiming for 5lbs per week until March, is that I hope you don't make yourself sick in the process. Please be careful.

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease"

Reference:
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/

9055.gif
  • johnnybrook
    Options
    if i was you i would go for 2lb aweek and not five. good luck
  • shanehollanduk
    shanehollanduk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Visit your doctor. I did, and I wasn't as heavy as you.

Even though I was (and am) aiming for 2lb a week, I shed 12lbs (7 then 5) in the first two weeks. When we are big, we often hold on to a lot of water, and also we lose our glycogen stores which are heavy. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw an even bigger drop initially. Now I am losing 2lb week in week out.

Listen to your doctor if s/he says 2lb, then go for that. If s/he says 5lb is fine, do that. What your poorly daughter doesn't need is a poorly mother too. I do however think it's fantastic you are doing this, and your own health will get much, much better too.

Good luck!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I hope you live where you can walk outside all winter long, otherwise you may need to mall walk in order to build up the stamina to be on your feet all day at Disney World. But, since you are going to lose weight before then, you will feel better and just by being lighter you will be able to do more.

I agree with the other posters who said don't wait til Thursday to start eating less. Start today.

I'm very concerned that you imagine you must do a tremendous amount of exercise to lose weight, which is why you mention the stress fracture. That worries me because I picture you wearing yourself out then coming home starving and over-eating. Instead, why not start this process with a reasonable calorie deficit each day, and doing just a bit of normal-paced walking? You will be more likely to stick with it if you don't stress yourself.

55835802.png