Weight lost BUT body fat(%) increased, Help!!!

Options
Hi all,

I've just weigh in this morning at Boots so I measured my body fat and BMI as well.

Here is my records.

First was: 9st 11lb (62.5kg) BMI : 22.4 Body Fat: 26.4% Body Fat Mass: 16.5 kg

(Second weigh in that I didn't check in on my profile)
Second was: 9st 8lb (61.2kg) BMI : 21.9 Body Fat 25.5% Body Fat Mass: 15.6 kg

Today is : 9st 8lb (60.9 kg) BMI : 21.8 Body Fat: 27% Body Fat Mass: 16.4 kg

To compare, my doubt is why the second weigh in has the lowest fat rate 25.5 % and Fat Mass (15.6 kg) but now it comes back to 27% (16.4 kg)

Why everything's lost but body fat (%) increased?

What should I do?

Exercise harder or avoid fat at all?

Please help!!!

Thanks to all in advance !!

Replies

• EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You need to start lifting weights.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How was your body fat measured at Boots? If it was done by the scale that weighed you, I would not be overly concerned. Those scales use electrical impedance and are pretty inaccurate. Even your relative level of hydration will change the body fat reading.
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I agree with pp, if it was just the scale or even a hande held body fat/bmi thing, my trainer told me they could be off by up to 3% either way (MORE or less!). With them being that inaccurate I wouldn't even bother putting stock in the results! body measurements, the scale, and how you feel are always better ways to measure success!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Ditto... build your muscle while burning the fat :wink:
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I was just reading in the forums that in order to burn fat you need to do a cardio warm up 5-10 min, 20-30 min. Of weight to burn through sugar and THEN minimum of 30 min. cardio to burn fat. Worth a try?
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    This may sound kind of weird but its true I tell ya! Yea if it is a scale that reads your feet which I have here at home. Mine will read differently on body fat % and weight before and after I take a shower. I usually only use the numbers I get from mine after shower time. They seem to be the most accurate. Maybe because the feet are warm or something who knows. Unless you can lose a pound of weight and 2% body fat in the shower...if so I am gonna start selling those!! ha!

So yea dont freak out to much...best to have calipers done if you have someone that can for you.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Body Fat measurements are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate. Depending on the method, measurements can fluctuate wildly (even if done consecutively on the same day).

For instance, if you measured using the caliper method and a different person did the measurement each time, that would easily account for the variance all by itself.

Also, when were these measurements taken?

IF, in fact, you have been losing weight but gaining net body fat, you should be concerned. It is most likely dietary, and you can easily correct that. If you are not eating enough carbohydrates, your body may be catabolizing muscle tissue to create energy, and/or if you are not eating enough protein, your body may be catabolizing muscle tissue to gain its constituent amino acids.

Bottom line, do you have a healthy diet? If not, you can easily lose weight while gaining (or maintaining the same) body fat. However, it's probably just a failure in measurement precision.
  • pakky
    pakky Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh dear, thank you everyone. :wink:
  • pakky
    Options
    Hi HartJames,

You mean I have to run all the time for 60 mins +, I think I really cannot at this beginning but I'll try. Is it fine to jog 5 min walk 5 min and then jog again?

Hi Chessronin

Im afraid I've lost my muscle tissue too. I do have healthier foods but I tried keep eating less than suggestion. My goal is 1350 Kcal daily but I would eat around 1200 or less. Does this cause the problem?

Thanks
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options

Genius.

Look up "Mountain Man" from bodybuilding.com. This dude has a 8% BF and doesn't do cardio. Abs, body fat, the cut look... it all comes from diet.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also, if you just did excersize and then measured the fat% its different then when you measured it before you did the excersize. So maybe that can account for the difference in measurements.

I would forget the weird measurement, and keep looking at the first and the last measurement
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Some Body Fat monitors measure water content. Muscles will hold water, the more water you have then the more muscle you have thus less fat; so the BFM thinks. If you have lost water, the BFM will think you have less muscle therefore more fat. Its not partcularly accurate so dont worry. As others have said, use weights to build more muscle and drink plenty of water.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    1. definately start lifting weights.

2. Bodyfat measurements could have been off. Most are.

3. up your protein.
  • pakky
    Options
    Thank you again everyone. I've learned more from MFP friends here.

Hi bmontgomery87,

In my case, if I want to loss weight and fat, how many % of protein I need daily / how about carb and fat? Should I follow what MFP sets for me?

Now im 60.9 kg and my goal is 55 kg.

Thanks
  • lynnie07
    lynnie07 Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi,
    I would recommend doing at least 3 days of weight training per week. If I were you, do a lot of core exercises while doing weights. If you have no idea what I mean and can't afford a trainer there are a lot of DVDs to help. Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper are great to start with then, you can move to P90X or insanity workouts. Cardio, they are great. Did you know that too much cardio and little weights can actually burn your muscle tissues. If you do cardio for over an hour at moderate levels your body will keep fat rather than burn it why, it needs fuel. You will be burning muscle tissue. if you have ever looked at people that do cardio all the time and are slim, they do not have a lot of muscle mass. The trick is to balance your training.
    When doing cardio, it's better to do quality rather than quantity. Do interval training rather than same pace during the whole duration and 30 to 40 min is enough. If you are wondering if it works well it does. I am training a few people on weight lost including myself and we all are having results. Your nutrition is another factor to consider. Make sure you are eating your calories because if you are under you will retain your fat and your fat % will go up. You can add me as a friend if you need support!
  • pakky
    Options
    You are so true lynnie07, I kept running or if I felt tired I walked in order to reach an hour exercise only. And I eat less than I should.

These were all wrong for me.

Thanks a lot for your advice !!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi HartJames,

You mean I have to run all the time for 60 mins +, I think I really cannot at this beginning but I'll try. Is it fine to jog 5 min walk 5 min and then jog again?

Hi Chessronin

Im afraid I've lost my muscle tissue too. I do have healthier foods but I tried keep eating less than suggestion. My goal is 1350 Kcal daily but I would eat around 1200 or less. Does this cause the problem?

Thanks

Yes; if you deprive your body of the nutrients that it needs, it will cannibalize from sources already in your body; namely, muscle tissue for amino acids (the most expendable tissue) and bones for calcium (not expendable at all but the only internal source)!

You MUST give your body what it needs, which means NOT starving yourself. If MFP tells you to eat 1350 calories, and a certain amount of protein/carbs/fat, then you should do so.

Better yet, consult a registered dietitian; you should learn some basics about nutrition before attempting any "dieting."

In the meantime. Do some reading about basic nutrition and food health here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/MY00431