STARVING!!!! Not always, just today.......

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Because 1200 calories isn't enough! :\

EAT MORE!

And make it with lots of protein to keep you full!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and eat a bit more.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

EAT MORE!

It can be enough for some people. It depends on how you determined that this is your diet. If your BMR is 1190, then 1200 isn't exactly recommended, but it is ok. If you're even smaller, then your BMR could be 800 cals and 1200 would be just fine. If your hunger is coming from not balancing insulin spikes, then you'll easily go over your allotted calories for the day. First step is to verify if 1200 calories is enough for your activity and body. Please don't unilaterally say that you need to eat more. Second step is to eat well balanced snacks and meals so your body doesn't do that insulin spiking and dipping (making your body think it is hungry even when it is not). If you still feel hungry after including fiber and protein into your snacks and meals, then you may have to up your calories a bit.
  • jodiedeakin93
    Options
    Fill up on lean protein such as turkey or chicken. It's filling, tastes good and the protein will work with resistance training.
  • clsalmon
    clsalmon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're supposed to eat back exercise calories. If you're not, well, that's why.

You all had such great advice........ yes, I did have a good workout the day before, and I didn't eat back ALL the calories. By the time I get home from work, change clothes, and do the workout, it's 7:00 pm. I didn't even feel hungry then, but I forced myself to eat some leftover stir fry.
  • clsalmon
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »

EAT MORE!

It can be enough for some people. It depends on how you determined that this is your diet. If your BMR is 1190, then 1200 isn't exactly recommended, but it is ok. If you're even smaller, then your BMR could be 800 cals and 1200 would be just fine. If your hunger is coming from not balancing insulin spikes, then you'll easily go over your allotted calories for the day. First step is to verify if 1200 calories is enough for your activity and body. Please don't unilaterally say that you need to eat more. Second step is to eat well balanced snacks and meals so your body doesn't do that insulin spiking and dipping (making your body think it is hungry even when it is not). If you still feel hungry after including fiber and protein into your snacks and meals, then you may have to up your calories a bit.

wkwebby - I don't even remember how 1200 calories became my "amount"..... it seems that MFP did the calculation for me based on my current weight, goal weight and the 8 months in which I'd like to hit that goal. It ends up averaging about 1.5# per week for a loss. You clearly have more knowledge than I do about what to do - would you be okay if I friend you for some additional advice?
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have days like that too. My solution is TONS of fresh veggies. I bring a baggie or tuperware to work with cherry tomatoes, raw green beans, carrot slices, baby cucumber slices, maybe raw broccoli or cauliflower--I try to change the mix every day. I measure one cup or 1/2 cup of each thing and snack on that throughout the day. That helps keep my mouth busy, keeps my stomach full of healthy, low cal, high fiber stuff. Mostly I just suck it up and wait for it to pass. I have been at 1200 calories since June 30 and have gone over maybe three times. Those bottomless pit days don't come around much. Also make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As crazy as this sounds, you may not actually need food. You could be dehydrated. Happens to me in the evenings sometimes on leg day. I'll have a very filling dinner then 45-60 mins later I feel like I ate nothing. Then I realize I'm low on my water intake for the day.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Have some food. Consider raising your calorie intake. 1200 calories is such a small amount.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Have some fat. That will carry you thru. Pb 2 tbsp w a banana. Or add coconut oil in w coffee or smoothie. It works! Also u may be eating to low of cals you may need 1400. Or just bump it up 200 or 300 cal and see if theres a difference!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds per week is a lot. It may not be sustainable for you; you might want to aim for a more realistic 1 or 0.8 pounds per week. After all, your body can't lose weight if it doesn't have enough fuel to keep it going.

1200 calories also sounds like your net goal, not your total goal. So you should be compensating for exercise.

And, of course, 1200 calories are not all created equal. If you eat 1200 calories worth of chocolate chip cookies and nothing else, you'll be *starving* all the time. If you eat 1200 calories worth of whole grains, vegetables, high-fibre, nutritional food, you can eat lots more food for the same number of calories and feel much fuller.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is pretty low if you are fairly active. Try using an online calculator to figure what your actual calorie needs are. It will take into consideration your stats. www.iifym.com has alot of calculators. You can also set your calories on custom yourself on here. I have learned to listen to my body also!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So eat.
  • clsalmon
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    So eat.

And, I did! Thanks! ;-) I definitely was treating the 1,200 as my gross calories and wasn't eating the calories that I burned off from exercise. I won't make that mistake again!