Exercise Calories

Options
Does anyone use the estimate of calories for exercise on here? I am getting a totally different amount off of my treadmill. Should I use the site or the treadmills calculations? I am new on here and would like others opinions on this. Thanks!

Replies

• Lacey34
    Lacey34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way is to get a heart rate monitor. When I used to try to estimate, or use the treadmill, it was always different. I think scales with perceived exertion also vary greatly.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I use my Nike+ monitor that connects to my ipod with a chip in my shoe when I am running outside or on a treadmill. That seems to be pretty accurate I think. When I do my insanity workouts I use my heart rate monitor watch and check my heart rate every "breaK"
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just got a hrm today, I am amazed at the difference between mfp , the equipment, and my hrm. I am definitely going with the hrm reading because I would rather be under than way overestimating. There are some very expensive hrm's but I got mine a walmart for $50 and it came with the chest strap and pedometer. It is a great investment. :smile:
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I use what my elliptical tells me. I have had bad experiences with HRMs and the estimates on here seem to be low. When I just get on my elliptical and go at a low level of resistence, I ge the same numbers that are on here, but if I get on the elliptical and do a preset workout, I work a lot harder and the elliptical indicates that I burn a lot more (which makes sense to me). I know that my elliptical can tell when I am working harder though, because it monitors heart rate for calorie burn, and I don't always get the same number for calorie burns. When I go slow I get less and when I really push I get more. I trust it enough. It may not be the most accurate, but it hasn't been a problem yet.