Recovery aids

Hi everyone

I am determined to lose 1 stone before December as well as tone up (starting at around 11.5 stones). I don't have long, so I am combining a low calorie diet and exercise. I have not exercised at all for the last 1.5 years (I know, I'm bad) and before that I wasn't that great at regular exercise.

My chosen form of strength/toning exercise will be 25 min power plate work outs 3 times a week. I have done this before, and I got fantastic results (alternating with cardio days and a rest day, and combining with low cal diet).

I am under no illusions that this is going to HURT. I remember the first time I did a power plate class I hurt A LOT for days afterwards.

What I would like to know is, what works for you to aid a quick recovery? I want to avoid walking like John Wayne for the next 7 weeks and also be able to get out of my bed without having to haul myself up with rope - yes I am joking ... a bit ...

Supplements, drinks, topical muscle creams, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Epsom salt baths can help.
    Personally, I go for the 'hair of the dog that bit you' and do a little more exercise of the same nature.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    work out more often, and ignore DOMS. However, that would require you to know the difference between DOMS and injuries.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    You can minimize the soreness by keeping the initial workouts short.. like 5-10 minutes for the 1st workout, 10-15 for the 2nd, etc.

Also avoid going more than 4-5 days without working the same muscles.
    My chosen form of strength/toning exercise will be 25 min power plate work outs 3 times a week. I have done this before, and I got fantastic results (alternating with cardio days and a rest day, and combining with low cal diet).

Yes, a calorie deficit works for fat loss. :p

• maltimoo
    maltimoo Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks all - given that I am going to basically do power plate every other day I think the hair of the dog thing should be sorted. I will try and do some yoga as well as cardio on the alternate days as the yoga should work the same muscles as power plate, but more gently.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    what are you doing on the power plate in class? I wasn't aware that these classes existed
  • maltimoo
    maltimoo Posts: 11 Member
    what are you doing on the power plate in class? I wasn't aware that these classes existed

Squats, lunges, sit ups etc. all for about 1 min each on the power plate. Have a look at this video from the studio I go to ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860bAPec3lQ
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    walk, ice, baths, sleep, food