what workout routine helped you best?

Options
i started my journey at 180, im now at 145,(for some reason i cant get below that) my height is 5'2 .. but my question is what workout routine or what exercise helped you tone up? if it was a full body routine, what helped you, how many reps etc... if it was one exercise per body part, what is the best for inner thighs, hanging tummy, and arms? im going on a cruise dec 7th and would like to either drop 5-10 more pounds or notice some toning...

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can start lifting and upping your cals to build muscle. A lot of lifting groups here on MFP if you want to check them out.

In regards to working out, fat reduction is all about overall reduction; can't tone up or lose from a specific spot. I've found that the exercise bike is an awesome workout for me. I can do anywhere from 20-45 minutes on it, it's an awesome calorie burn (depending if it's a light workout day or heavy workout day, I can burn anywhere from 150-250+ calories from it), and gets me to break a sweat.

If you aren't losing anymore, reconfigure your calorie goal, have your goal set to .5lb/week since you have 10lbs or less to lose, and make sure your activity level and weekly exercise goal is correct in MFP.

(Edited due to typos)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Look I to a begining lifting program like starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or new rules of lifting for women.

I ran strong lifts while still on a deficit and loved the changes I saw!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yoga - full body workout, increased flexibility, and fabulous complement to strength training and / or running.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I liked the workouts offered by Neila Rey, You can tailor them to your fitness level and or time available.
    neilarey.com
  • FacingFifty
    FacingFifty Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The best workout is the one you will stick with.
    I'm currently doing xbx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBX), runtastic squats, sit ups, push ups & pull ups as well as micoach lose weight & micoach find your groove. They work for me because the apps are one my phone (except for the xbx) which functions as a reminder.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You might like Jillian Michaels. I've been doing her workouts since June and am more toned than I've ever been in my life. Excellent results! I can't believe how different my arms, hips, and thighs look.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, DDP Yoga. I've done a bunch of different things and I've been a trainer for almost 15 years and DDP Yoga really made a difference.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i started my journey at 180, im now at 145,(for some reason i cant get below that) my height is 5'2 .. but my question is what workout routine or what exercise helped you tone up? if it was a full body routine, what helped you, how many reps etc... if it was one exercise per body part, what is the best for inner thighs, hanging tummy, and arms? im going on a cruise dec 7th and would like to either drop 5-10 more pounds or notice some toning...
    For me it was running, hiking, biking, swimming and tennis. For strength calisthenics was key, because I could perform them any time or place. I just did basic exercises to failure.
    guvp36jel2j4.jpg

• boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another up vote for Jillian Michaels workouts. 30 Day Shred is a very good workout Gateway Drug, I mean DVD. You can get the workouts on Youtube for free I believe. Check Amazon for reviews. She is annoying but you will love her workouts for the changes they make to your body if you are wanting to build strength and get some muscle definition ie tone up. These days Jillian recommends rest days between full body workouts - it was her marketing people that pushed for the '30 Day straight' angle.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    boxfish100 wrote: »
    Another up vote for Jillian Michaels workouts. 30 Day Shred is a very good workout Gateway Drug, I mean DVD. You can get the workouts on Youtube for free I believe. Check Amazon for reviews. She is annoying but you will love her workouts for the changes they make to your body if you are wanting to build strength and get some muscle definition ie tone up. These days Jillian recommends rest days between full body workouts - it was her marketing people that pushed for the '30 Day straight' angle.
    My wife loves her material.
  • Objection7722
    Objection7722 Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    At my university, I went to an early morning group fitness workout known as E-90X (EKU's play on P90X). What that consisted of on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays is 30 minutes of high cardio intervals, then 30 minutes of weight training intervals, followed by 30 minutes of core intervals. yes! 90 full minutes each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning. For Tuesdays and Thursdays, I usually used the indoor track at the gym to get at least 5 miles fast jogging in. I took weekends off to take it easy.

yeah....I considered Thursday and Tuesday "Cardio day"