What to do?

Options
I'm at my daily limit of caloric intake but I'm hungry. I'm pretty sure it's physical hunger and not desire. What to do? Go exercise to earn calories? Community says it give the wrong signal. Or just stay hungry and accept I can't eat more? I ate some really fatty meals today and now my body is protesting. Oh what to do?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat. One day over your limit isn't the end of the world.
  • Xuluwuki
    Xuluwuki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG I couldn't resist and now I'm having a bowl of pumpkin soup. I'm so bad :(
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When you do eat make sure it's low cal and healthy. Don't let yourself get over hungry or you risk a binge.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If I am still feeling hungry after I have reached my calorie goal, I usually drink more water, exercise to gain some extra calories, eat low calorie foods like fruits, veggies, and maybe some jerky, drink some more water, if I am still hungry and I am an hour or so from going to bed I ignore being hungry and go to bed at bed time. If all that fails and I am getting sick because I am still hungry, I will go over my calories by a couple hundred to eat some more. I then try to exercise more the next day to cover my overage. I also try to use it as a learning experience, that I need to make smarter food decisions to avoid this problem again. I hate being hungry and still have hours to go for the day!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for the day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are a 21 year old male and should be eating when you're hungry. How many calories are you eating a day? If you're hungry, it's probably not enough.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. :)

Start eating less junk food and more healthy food. It's very, very difficult to be hungry when you eat lots of fruits and veggies.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You are not bad for eating the pumpkin soup. Make better choices and plan your food throughout the day better. It take a little practice but you will get the hang. Have you looked up a TDEE calculator or a BMR calculator? Google the calculators, enter your info and find a realistic calorie amount.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    nadiabear1 wrote: »
    Xuluwuki wrote: »

Next time just eat something healthy it doesn't matter.

An apple is healthy, maybe 90 cals. 2 peanut butter cups are also around 90 cals. Are you saying that in this case, if OP ate the 90 calorie chocolate he would have more problems than if he ate 90 calories of apple?

As others said, eating above calorie goal or even at maintenance is fine, even ideal sometimes. But weight loss is all about cals in vs out, not about healthy vs not healthy food, so to say that if you eat healthy it doesn't matter is not the best advice, as someone could easily eat healthy but maintain or gain due to over-eating.

Although OP is probably not going to have a good time losing weight if she feels bad over one night of over-eating, probably not even by that much. Especially since he's most likely eating like 1200 cals or whatever MFP tells males to eat to lost 2lbs/week.

Also it is pretty easy to still be hungry while eating fruits and veggies. I used to eat large bowls of e.g. cherries, peas, grapes, berries, a few apples, in a single day. Honestly, I probably ate 500-1000 calories of fruit and veggies in a day, on top of other foods. I could easily eat an entire bag of cherries in one day, itself probably 400-600 calories. And then throw in a big bowl of snap peas, maybe some carrots, 6 large strawberries, a quarter of a full, large watermelon.... so basically, just because something is healthy doesn't mean you automatically wind up eating less. Fruits and veggies are pretty much just carbs, which are not all that filling for most, so unless you eat very nutrient-dense ones only (e..g bowls upon bowls of spinach will get you maybe 100-200 cals) you can easily wind up over-eating. It's all. about. calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Xuluwuki wrote: »
    One of my coworkers loves pumpkin soup, as well as squash soup.

Was yours good?

If you hungry, it's okay to eat over sometimes. What counts is the end of the week calorie balance.
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    Drink 2 glasses of water sometimes we mistake dehydration for hunger then wait 20 min if hungry still eat a small bowl of oatmeal with 1/3 cup of oats and 2/3 cups of milk