What does your at-home yoga routine look like?

Options
Looking for some good sequences. Thanks!!

Replies

• Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So nobody on the boards does yoga at home? I understand; it can be dangerous...

200.gif
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you already familiar with the various asanas? If you have experience with instructor led classes why not just follow the same sort of routine? If you have never done yoga before I would highly recommend not just winging it on your own, it's important to learn proper technique, both to prevent injury and in order to be able to progress your practice.

I've done yoga for about 10 years now, and my at-home practice is more for stretching, relaxation and meditation. I tend to leave the more heavy duty workout-type practices for the studio with someone to guide and push me along. I also really like the feeling of a group practice, even though I am a hard core atheist scientist, I do have to say that there is a certain energy in the room after a session that I just don't feel when i'm at home.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I use the ios app YogaStudio. I intersperse my routines with doyogawithme.com.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have some episodes of Inhale with Steve Ross or I use Fitness Blender (YouTube channel) yoga
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Yes, I've been doing yoga for over a decade now. I just wanted to see if anyone had some great routines they did at home.

I know what you mean about the energy of the room. That's the thing, I just don't seem to focus the same way at home, and yet, making it to classes is not a great option for me right now.

I'll check out doyogawithme.com and Fitness Blender. Thanks!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i use this:
    J0wnAHT.jpg

or this:
    GxwBZy6.jpg
  • harmonmt
    harmonmt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to yogaglo.com for videos. They have a good variety which is searchable by duration, style, etc. I have been doing yoga for less than a year though and don't have my own routines yet.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I usually just make up my own sequence. Sometimes I follow an audio from ihanuman.com, I like the John Schumacher ones, but usually I just work on poses that I like and that need work.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    it kind of depends what i need that day. i found/developed sequences using yoga journal or other websites and made lists of poses for my problem areas: spinal twists, hips, calves, digestion, shoulders, heart openers, etc. this morning my calves were tight, so i did mostly calf and foot stretches. most times i set up my mat, light a candle, and start with seated stretches or sun salutes, and then go wherever the flow takes me.

eta: i do tend to avoid my challenge poses, such as twisted triangle and shoulderstand, even though i know they would be good for me. i usually get those when i go to class.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Looking for some good sequences. Thanks!!

I stepped away from yoga about 8 years ago. I started back a few months ago with a class (just once a week).
    I ran across someone that is doing DDP yoga here on MYP and I decided to try it, as I was not happy with where I was at. My core, arms, legs . . . you name it just wasn't what it used to be. Like you, I wanted a routine for home. I've been doing DDP yoga for about 11 days now and was amazed at the difference it has effected my yoga class. A notable difference in flexibility and I just feel stronger within my core.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I also use yogaglo.com. Love love love love it!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    All of the above posters suggested good websites and DVDs. I'll throw in another good DVD set. It's called Ultimate Yogi with Travis Eliot. Love love love this one!
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also use the Yoga Studio app. It's very inexpensive and has some really great routines. I especially enjoy the 30 minute intermediate flexibility, balance and combination practices, as well as 15 minute intermediate relaxation. I just picked up David Swenson's Short Forms DVD of modified ashtanga practices, and I've gone through the 45 minute one a few times. It's an excellent, vigorous routine, and the only thing I feel is missing is an arm balance or two.

I've also been experimenting more with creating my own sequences. Last night after Brazilian jiu jitsu (a martial art very similar to judo) I did a 30 minute practice pretty much off the cuff targeting hips, hamstrings and groin, as those areas tend to take a beating in BJJ. I've been concentrating on halasana (plow pose) lately and it's coming along nicely. I've started to work on my full wheel, and will also start going for more binds.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All of the above posters suggested good websites and DVDs. I'll throw in another good DVD set. It's called Ultimate Yogi with Travis Eliot. Love love love this one!

I've been thinking about giving this one a shot. How long have you been doing it?
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I also recommend doyogawithme.com and I'm currently doing DDP Yoga which I quite like - but it's not like "regular" yoga.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I've been thinking about giving this one a shot. How long have you been doing it?

I started back in May, kind of slacked off for June when the kids were out of school, and now my husband and I practice 3 or 4 times a week. I really want to do the 108 consecutive days, but there are just days I don't have it in me and I either rest or lift some dumbells.
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Options
    Thanks again for the suggestions! I have the DDP yoga set; it's pretty good. I'll try some of the others, too. :)