Fruit is amazing!

Replies

• LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Well... nothing too fancy. Just apples, pears, bananas, tangerines and oranges. Oh... And starfruit, but since it's exotic here, we only get it for like two months a year. Melon and watermelon are yummy too, but too hard to chop (I'm lazy). I also like to try whatever exotic fruit the produce shop has in store.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    seasonal fruits ftw!! and then anything frozen. i no like grapefruit or just eating a fig.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    I have always loved fruit. I don't have any new discoveries. Some of my faves are blueberries, raspberries, oranges, melon, apples and figs.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    A few years ago I stumbled on Aurora Golden Gala apples and they've been my favorite apple ever since. They usually hit the stores around here in late October and are only available for a couple months. They are very sweet with a really thin skin.

j4i1784u1c0n.jpg
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    The more I cut out processed sugar, the better fruit gets! I've been really enjoying fresh blueberries this summer. They are going out of season now... boohoo! Apple slices with peanut butter or apples in Waldorf salad, strawberries, blackberries and bananas in my smoothies, apricots, ruby grapefruit! It's all amazingly good!
  • skr00b
    skr00b Posts: 4
    cherirana wrote: »
    I love fruit some favorites are yellow Rainier cherries,star fruit, bananas, white grapes, summer strawberries, local N.Carolina peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, mango and kiwi

So much yes on the rainier cherries. I was in Seattle during cherry season this year and got a few at a stand @ Pike place market. Insanely good!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    persimmons- the sweet and NOT mouth drying kind! lol
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    If I had my druthers, fruit is all I would eat.

Though I love them, I can go days without strawberries, grapes, oranges...but something I absolutely must have on hand at all times are apples. I mainly eat golden delicious but there aren't many varieties that I won't eat. Honeycrisp are a special treat (they are the best tasting to me, but they are pretty expensive when in season).

I love blackberries but those I have to pick myself or get from a roadside stand. The packaged ones in a supermarket just don't taste the same.

I am not a huge fan of really sweet fruits like melons. Mango's and watermelon are pretty much my threshold. Cantaloupe and honeydew just taste too sweet to me.
  • socalkay wrote: »
    The more I cut out processed sugar, the better fruit gets! I've been really enjoying fresh blueberries this summer. They are going out of season now... boohoo! Apple slices with peanut butter or apples in Waldorf salad, strawberries, blackberries and bananas in my smoothies, apricots, ruby grapefruit! It's all amazingly good!

Couldn't agree more! Within a couple of weeks of counting calories and therefore needing to drastically reduce the amount of refined carbs I was eating and drinking suddenly fruit started tasting amazing!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Soon pomelos will be out and I can't wait! Nothing compares to handling a giant cross between an orange and a grapefruit the size of your head. It takes literally more than an hour to eat, which makes the process even more enjoyable.
    Pomelo.jpg
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    skr00b wrote: »
    So I've eaten horribly most of my adult life, I know this, this is why I'm here. But now, something amazing has happened. I've discovered strange and miraculous fruits that I never knew existed, and oh boy I've been missing out. Honeycrisp apples - AMAZING. Comice pears - AMAZING. Cotton Candy grapes? Seriously? AMAZING! The list goes on and on. Where did all of these candies of the heavens come from? When I was a kid we had red or gold apples, purple or green grapes, and tiny little bartlett pears.

This eating better thing is still hard, but not as hard as I thought it'd be!

Let's hear it, what is your favorite fruit that you've discovered?

I don't know about the pears, but the honeycrisp apples and cotton candy grapes are both human engineered (selective breeding I think). You have SCIENCE to thank for this. :-p
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Pomegranates! They were always too expensive to get when I was a kid. The place I'm living now grows many varieties. They're in season right now. ZOMG.. I just got four pomegranates for 1 Dinar.. that's about 60 cents for FOUR pomegranates.

Plums! As a kid, I always got kind of sour red plums or mushy purple plums. This summer I ate ALL the plums. Red, green, yellow, purple, black, large, small. ZOMG there were so many delicious varieties and what a difference when they're fresh and tree-ripened.

The last fruit I discovered is this:xnac294ziq5w.jpg
    It's called bousaa. I have no idea what it is in english but it's delicious. Sadly it has a REALLY short growing season.
  • amusedmonkey
    Pomegranates! They were always too expensive to get when I was a kid. The place I'm living now grows many varieties. They're in season right now. ZOMG.. I just got four pomegranates for 1 Dinar.. that's about 60 cents for FOUR pomegranates.

Plums! As a kid, I always got kind of sour red plums or mushy purple plums. This summer I ate ALL the plums. Red, green, yellow, purple, black, large, small. ZOMG there were so many delicious varieties and what a difference when they're fresh and tree-ripened.

The last fruit I discovered is this:xnac294ziq5w.jpg
    It's called bousaa. I have no idea what it is in english but it's delicious. Sadly it has a REALLY short growing season.

That's a loquat. I too hate that they are only available for a short while. I remember we had a young loquat tree when I was little and we used to wait for the fruits every year impatiently.
  • mygnsac
    I have a kumquat tree in my backyard. Just wished I like the yucky things!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    My daughter isn't too big on fruits. She says her favorite is pumpkin.

I like all kinds. Plums, nectarines and berries are my favorites
  • amusedmonkey
    mygnsac wrote: »
    We have two, only more lemony and the other more like oranges. They make the best preserves, try it.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac wrote: »
    We have two, only more lemony and the other more like oranges. They make the best preserves, try it.

I did, but didn't like it (I also don't like orange marmalade, so that's probably why I didn't like it). I usually just wind up taking them to co-workers. One came up with a kumquat cream pie that was really good, but I'd never make that for myself.

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Last week I found Dragon Fruit. I had never heard of it but I really liked it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I also love fruit, my favorite apples are pink ladies and galas. I love "the grapery" grapes, they make those cotton candy ones, witch fingers too.

Also love calcium fortified orange juice, and bananas, and dried fruits too!

Pretty much all fruit is full of win for me, and I always make room in my calories for 2 or 3 servings a day.