I heard......

Options
Scary thought! I heard the average person consumes at least 3000 calories on Thanksgiving day! Just thought I'd share that info! Who does these studies anyway!?:huh:

Replies

• genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Scary thought! I heard the average person consumes at least 3000 calories on Thanksgiving day! Just thought I'd share that info! Who does these studies anyway!?:huh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    The gravy companies. :laugh: That's a scary statistic & makes me really want to watch everything that goes into my mouth that day! Yikes!
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! You have got to be kidding..... that is a lot of food. Portions people, portions! :wink:
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    UGH, I better get up a few hours early to work out, because once that turkey hits my mouth, I know my body is gonna go into lazy mode!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Eh, it's one day. :smile: Enjoy it. I'm surely not going to gorge myself this year, and I know I'll eat better than before, but I won't be counting calories at my Thanksgiving gatherings this year.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Of all the days for the gyms to be closed too! :sick:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes...I have heard that the average person consumes between 3500 and 4500 calories on Thanksgiving day. And I don't doubt it. We tend to use butter to cook with since it is Thanksgiving. If you cook the dressing inside the turkey, the dressing is soaking up all the fat from the turkey, gravy = more fat, veggies are often cook with cream sauce or butter, dessert & lots of it (and don't forget topping off your dessert with lots of whipped cream), not to mention the snacks while cooking or watching football...chips and dip along with a couple of beers, and then a couple glasses of wine with dinner and the all important turkey sandwich before going to bed.

If you think about it, it is very possible to eat over 3000 calories on Thanksgiving.

Remember one word: RESIST

As for me, this year I think I'll let someone else cook Thanksgiving, that way I won't have a lot of high fat leftovers to eat in the days to come. And it will allow me to stay out of the kitchen and go hiking in the morning to kick start my metabolism and burn about 1000 calories.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE :drinker:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

My gym's open. :happy: My dad and I are gonna go to a spin class before we go to my grandparents to eat. And it is just one holiday. Enjoy it while you have a reason to. As long as you get back on track the next day then it will be easily forgotten weight loss wise.
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My local Golds Gym is open Turkey day from 6a to 2p . And they are doing a 'trukey run' basically tons of classes all morning long so you can come in and get the matabolism cranking before you ever put that first bite of turkey in your mouth.

I intend to be there bright and early and am going to participate in the 90 minute long cycle (spin) class. Then I go home and eat (still in moderation) but none the less quilt free. I am so excited, this is apparently something this gym has done every year. This is the first holiday season of my new life so I'm super excited that I get to start the day out at the gym! :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

My gym's open. :happy: My dad and I are gonna go to a spin class before we go to my grandparents to eat. And it is just one holiday. Enjoy it while you have a reason to. As long as you get back on track the next day then it will be easily forgotten weight loss wise.

Good for you! I'm too chicken to try a spin class! :laugh:

I'll go for a run (weather permitting) then try a little restraint at dinner. :bigsmile:
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    In our family I think that is a low average lol.
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Good for you! I'm too chicken to try a spin class! :laugh:

I'll go for a run (weather permitting) then try a little restraint at dinner. :bigsmile:

I love the cycle classes You gotta give them a try! Talk about burning some cal's!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Our Y isn't open on Thanksgiving, but the day after, they are having a "Day after buffet". It's 30 minutes of spin, 30 minutes of strong bodies, and 30 minutes of something else. lol