Boiling Eggs

Options
I came across this tip from a website I refer to frequently: http://cleananddelicious.com/

Place your eggs in pot and add enough water to cover the eggs about an 1" above them. Bring water and eggs to a rapid boil. Cover the pot, turn off the heat and let them sit for 11 minutes.

I've done this twice so far and they came out perfect.

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I learned from Ina Garten aka Barefoot Contessa.

Now, I always have some eggs ready to eat when I need a snack.
  • tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    thanks for the tip!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    See, when I do that they boil fine, yes, but they're hard to peel. I find that if I put them in cold water, covered 1", and let them boil hard for 10 mins then IMMEDIATELY put them in cold water with ice, they come out just as well and they're easier to peel.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i do mine for 20 minutes after the water starts to boil.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My kids cook theirs for exactly 18 minutes on an electric stove. Drain the pot and fill with cool water and peel. They come out perfect.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    See, when I do that they boil fine, yes, but they're hard to peel. I find that if I put them in cold water, covered 1", and let them boil hard for 10 mins then IMMEDIATELY put them in cold water with ice, they come out just as well and they're easier to peel.

Don't use fresh eggs and they'll peel easier
  • ladonne73
    ladonne73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I'm gonna try this. It's always hit or miss when I boil eggs. :frown:
  • Jlynb1109
    Jlynb1109 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was just leaving a tip for people who have struggled with boiling eggs. Didn't think it would start a debate.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I was just leaving a tip for people who have struggled with boiling eggs. Didn't think it would start a debate.
    Its not really starting a debate, we are just stating the different ways we boil eggs as well.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Yep! I remember hearing about this a long time ago, maybe on the food network? Anyways, I always hated when the yolks were overcooked (grey) and this way they come put PERFECT! :smile:

Also, not sure where I heard this, but if you add salt to the water it helps peel the shell easy.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Place your eggs in pot and add enough water to cover the eggs about an 1" above them. Bring water and eggs to a rapid boil. Cover the pot, turn off the heat and let them sit for 11 minutes.

I do exactly the same but add a splash of white vinegar to the water (not sure where I learned that from). Come out perfect everytime, no green ring around the yolk!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    no need for salt or vinegar in the water, just a quick cooldown loosens the shells nicely. Our timing is: drop the room temp eggs into the already boiling water, leave on for 14 minutes, then they go straight into a icewater bath.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    its funny how everyone has their trick to boiling eggs!!! sound so easy but takes a lot of practice to get right!!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the pot, bring to a boil, and then let them boil on medium heat for 10 minutes before taking them off and rinsing in cool water. No rubbery green/grey ring! And they peel easily. I do salt my water a little :smile:
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Very True! that is how i boil my eggs :)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Usually the reason they are hard to peel is because the eggs are too fresh. If you buy a dzn eggs before you're out and use them 4-5 days later then they should peel just fine
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    yep!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I put the eggs in the pot with enough cold water to cover with around an inch of water. Bring to a boil...and just when you can hear the eggs start to shake or jump in the pan-shut it off, cover, and let sit 13 min. Drain and run under cold water immediately. Always a perfect yellow yolk! So easy!
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    All of these are great tips! The original post is how I do it, plus I use week old eggs and a trick I learned online is to peel the egg under cold running water. It seems to help with the peeling and it washes off the access in the process...
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'll give a tip on what not to do. Don't set them on the stove in the boiling water, then go watch TV & fall asleep. You'll awake to a popping noise, your kitchen will stink, & you'll have a fun mess to clean up.

I've done it a few times. :sick: