Protein bars

Options
So I've been having Vector bars (chocolate) as a protein bar. Probably not the best choice I know. I was looking for something higher in protein with not as much calories... Only issue is is that I also need something that is nut free... Majority of what I've come across has nuts. Any suggestions??

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Nut free may be difficult to find in the bars. I use the Pure-Protein bars because they are high in protein and easily purchased through Walmart. They are also less expensive than some of the other high protein choices. I also use the Robert Irvine sometimes but then again -- nuts.

You may benefit from protein shakes... These can be less expensive if used in powder form. In the more expensive pre-formulated forms, the Core Power is pretty good 20-26gr protein each and the Oh Yeah! are good... 32 gr per 220 k/cal bottle. A bit pricey at the gym but I like them chilled.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's really difficult to do. My roommate is allergic to nuts and we have searched everywhere for a protein bar without nuts. So far we haven't found any in stores, only through online searches, they are; Detour chocolate chip caramel and Clif chocolate chip builder's bar. The Detour bar is 170 calories with 15 g of protein, and the Clif bar is 270 calories and 20 g of protein. Between the two I think the Clif is better, and I'll eat them for lunch or for a light meal.

But as kdeaux mentioned, protein shakes would be the way to go. A lot of the times we'll get either Pure Protein or Six Star Whey Protein powder and mix it with milk because it's cheaper per serving. But sometimes we'll treat ourselves and get Muscle Milk, I really like that because it's 200-220 calories pure serving and high in protein.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a bar or shake? I eat Egg Beaters to get low calorie protein. I generally make 6 servings & eat them in little bits all morning long (they microwave well)--150 cal, 6 carb, 30 protein.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome for protein and fiber, but don't know about nuts.
  • ShockDoc
    ShockDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Optifast bars?

18881921.png
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are not nut-free. I've not come across any, but I'm following to see if anything pops up.
  • pdandy
    pdandy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Usually it's for a snack when I'm on the go... I'm on the road quite a bit during the day for work and I like to have something I can grab and throw in my bag... Egg beaters might be good for an evening snack tho!
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    Does it have to be a bar or shake? I eat Egg Beaters to get low calorie protein. I generally make 6 servings & eat them in little bits all morning long (they microwave well)--150 cal, 6 carb, 30 protein.

• pdandy
    Options
    Most mornings I'll have a shake for breakfast with whey in it... I also throw in kale, spinach, soy, blueberries and yogurt. Which pretty much is an entire meal

kdeaux1959 wrote: »
    Nut free may be difficult to find in the bars. I use the Pure-Protein bars because they are high in protein and easily purchased through Walmart. They are also less expensive than some of the other high protein choices. I also use the Robert Irvine sometimes but then again -- nuts.

You may benefit from protein shakes... These can be less expensive if used in powder form. In the more expensive pre-formulated forms, the Core Power is pretty good 20-26gr protein each and the Oh Yeah! are good... 32 gr per 220 k/cal bottle. A bit pricey at the gym but I like them chilled.

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have been having Clif bars twice a week before my spin class and then boot camp to kick me through those back to back workouts. They do provide me with the needed energy but they are high calorie and would prefer something not so heavy. The other day I only ate half and it seemed to do the job so maybe that's what I will do.
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    QUEST BARS!!!!!!!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    What makes Vector bars a bad choice? What is the nutritional information? 200-300 calories should be standard for a protein bar, ideally 20-30g of protein. if this is fulfilled with the Vector bar then... keep eating them?
  • pdandy
    Options
    They're 230 calories, 32g carbs, 19g sugar and 9g protein... I've been grabbing then because they're easy to find and the chocolate ones are nut free... Hoping for more protein... I'm not sure how the carbs and sugar measures up to any other protein bar tho...?
    ana3067 wrote: »
    What makes Vector bars a bad choice? What is the nutritional information? 200-300 calories should be standard for a protein bar, ideally 20-30g of protein. if this is fulfilled with the Vector bar then... keep eating them?

• pdandy
    Options
    I'll check them out, hopefully they're the ones that will work for me! Thanks!
    QUEST BARS!!!!!!!!

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think almost all flavours of Quest bars contain nuts.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    pdandy wrote: »
    They're 230 calories, 32g carbs, 19g sugar and 9g protein... I've been grabbing then because they're easy to find and the chocolate ones are nut free... Hoping for more protein... I'm not sure how the carbs and sugar measures up to any other protein bar tho...?
    ana3067 wrote: »

oh I see. If it's an actual protein bar, it will usually have closer to 30g protein, as you'd see in most protein powders. If salt isn't too much of an issue, I'd recommend stocking up on beef jerky. You can also hardboil eggs ahead of time and grab them on the go.
    Otherwise browse here:
    ca.bodybuilding.com/store/bars.htm
    iherb.com/search?sug=protein%20bars&kw=protein%20bar&rank=2#cid=2853&p=1

or make your own (sunflower butter should be fine if you need a butter?)
    fitnesstreats.com/2014/04/homemade-vegan-quest-bars/
    fitnesstreats.com/2014/01/more-homemade-quest-like-protein-bars/
  • PotentiallyCrazy
    PotentiallyCrazy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could check out Luna bars? I know only some of them are actually labeled "protein bars," but there are some that are not nut-flavored, such as lemon or blueberry
  • pdandy
    Options
    I looked up quest bars. All Quest bars have almonds

QUEST BARS!!!!!!!!

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    the simply bar , the simply whey bar, 150 calories , 15 gram protein
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You could try making your own and substituting some fat for the nuts. I think No Meat Athlete has a recipe builder for a protein bar, but I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there.
  • pdandy
    Options
    Thanks I may end up doing that
    Maitria wrote: »
    You could try making your own and substituting some fat for the nuts. I think No Meat Athlete has a recipe builder for a protein bar, but I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there.