Help me! Pretty Please :o)

Options
Ok I am getting married in August and I feel bad for my fiance. I cook the same things over and over. Chicken breast, veggies, salad, hamburger helper etc. Its not that its easy stuff, its because I havent learned how to cook :O) I dont want to get a divorce before I even get married ha ha - do yall have any good quick ideas for dinner?!

Replies

• nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Get a slow cooker!
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com
    dlife.com---- this one is a diabetic site but is really good for low calorie and low carb foods. They have easy intermediate and hard recipes ;)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    my hubbys fav ingredient is cilantro so i found a yummy recipe whit that (black bean burritos on all recipes.com) and my fav ingredient is mushrooms so I make a dish with that (101cookbooks.com mushroom casserole)...we just pick new recipes and I cook 4 of 5 of them a week. It gives us something to look forward to after work and also allows me to have left overs to take for lunch during the week. We make yummy breakfasts on Saturday mornings too...its great together-time!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Take a cooking class at your local community college
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just buy a good, simple cookbook with inspiring pictures AND nutritional data at the end of each recipe.
    If you can read, you can cook. Just be sure to read the entire recipe first, then go back and start your new meal.
    You can cook beautiful, healthful foods that will impress your hubby ... and everyone else!

Go for it, girl!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    try e-mealz.com. They give you a weekly meal plan based on your needs and a grocery list to go with it. You do have to pay for it though.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Get a slow cooker!

I agree; there are SO many things you can make in a slow cooker....the best part is, you throw the stuff in and forget about it for a few hours =)
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    sparkrecipe.com is a good site for good healthy recipes you can stay on track with.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I didn't cook very well when I first got married either. I would suggest watching Food Network to get you inspired and watch the techniques. Get a few good cookbooks...like Joy of Cooking. It's a great book that teaches the basics. Then get some cookbooks from the food network chefs....my fav are Barefoot Contessa and Jamie Oliver books. As soon as you get good at recipes, you can start creating your own!
  • slow2go
    slow2go Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't really have any good advice because I'm really the same way..LOL I ask him for ideas and if I don't know how to cook it I look it up and wing it. Kraftrecipes has alot of good meals on their website.
  • FatBastard6135
    Options
    Well .. if you new hubby can cook, making dinner together is a great way to connect and share the chore of cooking. You both work together as a team, leaning along the way .. cooking class is a great idea as well .. :smile:
  • MissJanay
    MissJanay Posts: 17
    Options
    Great guys! Thank you so much!
  • deal4321
    deal4321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get a slow cooker!

Love my slow cooker and it doesn't heat the kitchen up in the summer time like the stove or oven does.

This site has lots of crock pot / slow cooker recipes....

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/index.html

Not sure of calories or any nutritional value but it sure tastes good...lol

Italian Beef

3 pounds of red meat: rolled roast, pot roast, or brisket
    1 package of Au Jus dry seasoning
    1 package of Good Seasons dry Italian dressing
    1 cup of water

Mix the packages of dry seasoning with water in a crock pot
    Add meat
    cook for 7-8 hours on high.
    or place in oven for 5-6 hours at 300 degrees.

Meat is done when it is very tender and falls apart easily. Shred meat well with fork to make it easy to put on buns.
    Serve on hoagie buns, or hamburger buns can be used.
  • jolyned
    jolyned Posts: 28
    Options
    I started off the same but now I'm a foody who could cook anything under the sun and I love it. What helped me understand cooking and to feel more comfortable with it was watching the Food Network. It's insane how much you can learn from those cooks.

Here is an amazing website with recipe ideas plus, they're all low calorie recipes!
    skinnytaste.com

Enjoy!
  • ladycasper
    ladycasper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is soooo easy and soooo good. Trust me I can't cook ether but my man loved this. :wink:

Salsa Chicken

Ingredients
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
    1 cup salsa (enough to cover chicken half way)
    1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
    Rice (I use side kicks)
    Tostito chips
    2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
    2. Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
    3. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25
    5. Uncover and bake for another 25min
    4. Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
    5. Put rice, chips and top with sour cream if desired, and serve. (scoop some salsa, some rice, and some chicken on the chips)

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 287 | Total Fat: 12.4g | Cholesterol: 101mg
  • leiahc
    leiahc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got a subscription to Cooking Light Magazine. You can try new, healthy recipes every month and there are many very easy recipes in each magazine.