Opinions on whey powder/ protein shakes

Options
i have been doing low carb but im finding i have no energy which makes it hard to find the motivation to work out. ihat wanna start protein shakes. I was thinking of drinking one for breakfast and another one in the evening after a workout.

is 2 shakes a day too much? Do these whey shakes actually give you energy or are they just good for after a workout?

What other tips or info should i know about whey powder? And whats a good recipe?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You'll hear lots of things. I personally only have them after lifting heavy. I try to mostly do water/ice with a scoop because I'd rather spend my calories on real food. Two a days sounds like a lot...I dunno. Sorry, that was no help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't like to drink my calories either, but I do love a nice quest bar. I couldn't do two a day, my calories wouldn't allow it. Eating enough food gives you more energy.
  • trungalung
    Options
    I'll suggest using protein shakes as a way to hit your daily protein goal (within calorie budget). If you're able to constantly hit the recommended amount everyday with normal food, I see no need for the shakes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I just mix it with water and chug it when I need to supplement my protein macros for the day.
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    trungalung wrote: »
    I'll suggest using protein shakes as a way to hit your daily protein goal (within calorie budget). If you're able to constantly hit the recommended amount everyday with normal food, I see no need for the shakes.

This. Shakes are not necessary if you are eating protein from other sources. (meat.eggs.etc.)
    Also its not ment to give you 'energy' per-say ... Protein helps build&restore muscle.
    If you want energy either have a good meal a few hrs or hr before working out or take some pre-workout.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    If you have no energy from low carb I am not sure protein shakes would be the answer (altho I do have one every day)...you would prolly be better to add some carbs....maybe try some oats