Garmin Vivofit-finding the 'burn' too low

Options
Torkelle
Torkelle Posts: 20 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone else think the calorie burn from their Garmin Vivofit is too low? I do the elliptical for 50 minutes every morning, and walk my dogs for 1.25-1.5 hours every afternoon, on top of everything else I do. It is only giving me 330 average exercise calories. Seem low?

Replies

• mamachug
    mamachug Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the vivofit as well. I bought mine with the hrm and I find that if I use the hrm I get a much higher burn count. Their counts without it are very low. Much lower than the fitbits were. Not too sure what you can do though?
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to come in lower than my now dead fitbit one
  • Torkelle
    Options
    I didn't realize you could buy a separate heart rate monitor. Where would one find those? I used to use a Body Media armband, and that tagged the same amount of exercise at about 759-800 calories, so I am short about 500 per day with the Garmin. :(
  • Torkelle
    Options
    Found one on Amazon.ca! :) Thanks for the tip.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If I am doing more than just walking, I do use my HRM. I just use my HRM that came with my forerunner.
  • Torkelle
    Options
    Mine didn't come with a heart rate monitor, so I had to go looking for one czmom. I think it will certainly help make sure I get a better reading though when I get it, thanks for the suggestion mamachug!

Hubby gave this to me for my Birthday (he got it at Costsco), and they come with two colors of wrist bands, but no heart rate monitor.

I understand the Vivofit used to have a problem with the wrist clasp letting go and people losing them, but this one came with a security band to slide over the clasp, so it is very secure.