I need motivation help...

Options
This always seems to happen. I go for awhile and I do really well, then right when I think that I am going to get to one of my goals, I lose all motivation. Right now I am stressed out. I am a terrible stress eater, but mostly, I am suffering from a case of rationalizing all my bad choices.

I'm dealing with a serious case of "don't worry about today, get back on the wagon tomorrow." Only, tomorrow never comes. Help me get back on track because I seem to have all the excuses in the world... I don't want to undo all that I have done!

I am still being really good about exercising. I run 5K 2-3 days per week, I take an hour-long spin class 3-4 days a week, and I walk to the park with my toddler every chance we get (40 minutes round-trip). It's my eating that is bad. I know it's bad (4 slices of pepperoni pizza for dinner last night, WHAT??). Someone motivate me to get back on track! Words of wisdom, words of encouragement, some good old fashioned yelling. I am open to anything!

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Start fresh today! Forget the past, and just look towards your goal! It sounds like you're already really active (having a toddler seems to be an incredible workout!)...so you just need to focus on eating better foods!! When you're stressed, try a glass of water first, and then think if you REALLY want to eat something. I've also heard that 3 bites of a food will get rid of any craving!

Good luck!! You CAN do this!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You've worked too hard to drop those 16 lbs to give up now. You're almost halfway in your journey, don't quit on yourself now!!!
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First you are not the only one who goes through this so do not feel like you are alone. We are all on here battling our weight and each of us has our own issues that we deal with. Know that someone is always here to encourage you day or night there is usually someone on here. When I'm feeling unmotivated I just log on here and look to see what others are saying and most times it helps to keep me motivated too.

Unfortunately other than that this journey is really up to you. Only you can make the choice within yourself to make the changes you need to make. I am also a stress eater and usually what I will do is log on and put what I WANT to eat into my food page to see what the calories will be, then I try to think of alternates that will still allow me to eat like a pig without all the calories because I refuse to go over my calories and have that posted for everyone to see.

Your exercise is great; I got tired just looking at it. You can do this and you are already well on your way.

Debbie
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Remember the reasons you started this!!!!! Are they still important? For me exercise relieves stress oh and kissing :)
    let go of yesterday and start fresh. Make a lot of friends here that you can count on for support. and blog or journal. That is a stress reducer too.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    also REWARDS are great. You have 4 pounds to go for your next goal to be met! Try to do something wonderful for you! You have came a long way
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest things with stress eating is finding alternative ways of coping! I know I'm a big stress eater - and also a procrastination eater. When I have a lot of work piling up I go through the fridge first to try and reduce my anxiety! It's great that you are still exercising - when I stop eating well exercise usually goes as well.

Maybe you could make a list of things to do instead of eating out of stress? Things like calling a friend, taking a walk, taking a bath or a shower, whatever it is - find something else! Even writing an MFP blog or reading someone else's can help - I know that really keeps me motivated.

Also - no idea what your eating is like so I might be totally off here but is there a chance that you're not eating enough earlier in the day? I know that when I don't eat enough during the day and am ravenous by dinner time it gets really hard to remember why I shouldn't have a second helping.
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Options
    Also - no idea what your eating is like so I might be totally off here but is there a chance that you're not eating enough earlier in the day? I know that when I don't eat enough during the day and am ravenous by dinner time it gets really hard to remember why I shouldn't have a second helping.

I am on a snacking all day binge. It usually is started by impending big family gatherings (this time it was PMS, and then Easter) and it takes me a long time to get that binge mentality out of my head. I have been doing really well with my meals/snacks during the day. I had my diary public, but then I tend to make it private when I slip up. I need to stop doing that. Closet binging is why I am battling these last 24 lbs to begin with.

I also just put away all my size 10/12 pants (I am comfortably in an 8 right now) and the lingering articles of maternity clothing. I layed out all the 8s and 6s (my ultimate goal) so that I have a visual of what I am trying to do here. I have stacks and stacks of neatly folded size 6 jeans, pants, capris, and shorts just staring me in the face. Previously, they were put away in storage. If that doesn't motivate me to shed the last 24 lbs, nothing will! I am ready. Thanks for the Advice.
    I am also a stress eater and usually what I will do is log on and put what I WANT to eat into my food page to see what the calories will be, then I try to think of alternates that will still allow me to eat like a pig without all the calories because I refuse to go over my calories and have that posted for everyone to see.

Debbie, this is wonderful advice. I am going to do this from now on! Thanks for the support, everyone! I needed it.
  • 201sam
    201sam Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to remember that the stress you are feeling right now is out of your hands. Food is the one thing you can control. Sometimes remembering the areas where you can control your life can remind you that you do have power within yourself. You can do it. You already have shown yourself that you are able and everyone here is so proud of you. Remember the happiness you felt when you saw that you had lost ten pounds. Remind yourself of the feeling of empowerment that you had. Please stay on track. You can do it. I know you can!!