Worst charley horse ever

Options
So there's something I forgot about when it comes to exercise: charley horses.

I was just sleeping peacefully last night when I tried to stretch my calf. Big mistake. Immediately I felt the fiery pain start and by the time I sat up it was too late for me to press my foot against the wall and try to stop it. The pain hit full force and it spread through my whole leg up to my butt. All I could do for the next two minutes was lie there and curse. By the time it was over I was drenched in sweat, and for the rest of the night my leg felt totally stiff.

Today I can barely walk because it hurts every time I try to flatten my foot. My muscles are stiff and hard as a rock, and it cramped so hard that it actually left a bruise. A hot bath and some gentle stretching helped, but I can still barely walk, so the gym is out of the question.

I used to get these all the time when I was a kid and I just sort of hoped I would grow out of them. I'm allergic to bananas so I'll have to find another source of potassium. But from now on I'm going to make sure that I have some potassium before exercise and stay extra hydrated and stretch really well afterward because I can't deal with this on a regular basis, ugh. Screw this, screw this so much.

Replies

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Drink more fluids! Seriously, if you are at all dehydrated the charlie horse are killer!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get those if I'm not getting enough potassium in my diet. It's awful and often leaves me sore the next day.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The first time I got a charley horse, I thought my calf muscle was gonna snap and roll up my leg. Awful feeling - and always when I'm sleeping!!
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had these too...finally stopped when I started taking magnesium for headaches. Didn't help the headaches, but the charley horses are gone. No amount of water or potassium helped.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, poor thing! I used to get them all of the time when I was younger. It was either my foot or my calf and always in the depth of sleep. I have always heard that it was not enough potassium or water. I am not really sure if it was true but I would eat bananas, potatoes and drink tons of water.
  • SyzygyX
    Options
    macybean wrote: »
    I had these too...finally stopped when I started taking magnesium for headaches. Didn't help the headaches, but the charley horses are gone. No amount of water or potassium helped.

Magnesium actually has a significant connection with potassium in a lot of ways, including being able to raise potassium blood levels. Some studies show that magnesium alone improves natural potassium levels, and taking magnesium while taking potassium can speed up the potassium's uptake. (Much of the same info applies with magnesium and calcium.)
  • SyzygyX
    Options
    yvQ3nmc.gif
  • GLORIAGEAN
    GLORIAGEAN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have severe feet and leg cramps and there is a place on line at www.StopLegCramps.com
    this stuff really works and is and Old Amish Formula that has only 3 natural ingredients in it. I works in about 1 to 2 minutes after you take it. This is the only thing that I have found that truly works and is not full of chemicals. This is all natural. I have tried taking extra potassium and I drink a lot of water, but feel like the Pravastatin they put me on has caused me to have the leg cramps so bad. This truly does work. Please take the time to go to the website and read about it and the reviews that go with it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bananas, there's a fair amount of potassium in low-sodium V8 juice, and in other low-sodium foods where potassium chloride is substituted for sodium chloride.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have learnt a new phrase today. Charlie horse. Who knew?

I used to get these badly as a kid and was told I needed more salt in my diet (never had added salt in anything or much processed stuff). One packet of crisps and I was fine (and happy....)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for foods other than bananas, here's a few that I eat:

- potatoes (sweet and regular)
    - bell peppers
    - milk
    - almonds (I prefer mine coated with chocolate, lol)
    - cashews

Charley horses while sleeping are very evil.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I get severe muscle knotting and cramping if I let my electrolytes get out of hand. Potassium is the one which is most commonly mentioned, but in reality, if muscle cramping and knotting is something you struggle with, you need to be monitoring ALL your electrolytes; potassium, magnesium, calcium etc. This is why salts are recommended.

Try adding sea salts to your food, and electrolyte mixes to your water. I use mio fit as it has a mild electrolyte mix in it. I almost never drink just pure water.

Other than that, as others have mentioned, stay hydrated and well stretched.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Glass of ecodrink daily works for me
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    So there's something I forgot about when it comes to exercise: charley horses.

I was just sleeping peacefully last night when I tried to stretch my calf. Big mistake. Immediately I felt the fiery pain start and by the time I sat up it was too late for me to press my foot against the wall and try to stop it. The pain hit full force and it spread through my whole leg up to my butt. All I could do for the next two minutes was lie there and curse. By the time it was over I was drenched in sweat, and for the rest of the night my leg felt totally stiff.

Today I can barely walk because it hurts every time I try to flatten my foot. My muscles are stiff and hard as a rock, and it cramped so hard that it actually left a bruise. A hot bath and some gentle stretching helped, but I can still barely walk, so the gym is out of the question.

I used to get these all the time when I was a kid and I just sort of hoped I would grow out of them. I'm allergic to bananas so I'll have to find another source of potassium. But from now on I'm going to make sure that I have some potassium before exercise and stay extra hydrated and stretch really well afterward because I can't deal with this on a regular basis, ugh. Screw this, screw this so much.

Oh my, you have my sympathy. I've suffered from these types of leg cramps periodically for about 10 years. Truly, I've never found a correlation between the spasms and my diet or fluid intake. They. Just. Happen.

The pain is terribly more significant than a normal 'Charley horse'. The area I get the spasms is the long muscle on my inner thigh. The pain begins immediately and worsens for about 7 to 10 minutes. The cramp will extend down to behind my knee and upwards to the hip. Sitting, standing, stretching...NOTHING will help abate it. I've actually vomited from the pain. The muscle will be sore and achy for two to three days afterwards. They would go in spells- none for months and then several nights a week. Some nights I was dreading going to bed, worrying about the cramp starting. I've not had any since I began my weight loss journey and exercise...but I know one is always lurking around the corner. Again..you have my sympathy. The only way I can accurately describe the pain is like saying I'm having a heart attack in my leg. Crushing pain. Worse than any I've ever experienced in my life.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try drinking "a shot" of straight lemon juice. You can leave a small bottle next to you bed. I have also read that tonic water helps.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    macybean wrote: »

Magnesium actually has a significant connection with potassium in a lot of ways, including being able to raise potassium blood levels. Some studies show that magnesium alone improves natural potassium levels, and taking magnesium while taking potassium can speed up the potassium's uptake. (Much of the same info applies with magnesium and calcium.)

I didn't mean to imply that potassium couldn't be the culprit, and I do understand the relationship between magnesium and potassium. I only wanted to point out that I tried increasing potassium intake and got no where until I started taking magnesium. Charley horses are miserable...you do feel as though your leg will snap off!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Kiwi is high in potassium as well. I had to gag down bananas when pregnant with my eldest due to severe leg cramps. Avocados have more potassium than bananas.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-potassium-fruits.php
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the quinine in the tonic water.... I forgot about that one. That always used to work for me.
  • jklavenga
    Options
    Suffering from same thing. Thank you for input. Hoping it helps.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few nights ago too. I am glad you posted this. Thanks for all the advice everyone!