running incorrectly?

Options
Over the last couple months I've gone from being able to run .2 miles (yes that decimal point is in the right spot...less than a quarter mile!) to last week jogging 6.25 without stopping. But the last couple times I've run, the outside part of my left foot (it feels like maybe the bone running up to my pinky toe) has hurt pretty badly. It's worse after I actually stop running and try to walk. Feels like the outside of my foot is bruised or something, but there's no discoloration. A friend said maybe I roll my foot somehow when I run, but if I consciously try to put more pressure on my instep my foot just cramps up and feels worse. I'm really bummed about this...I was finally getting to the point where I enjoyed running and wanted to go further. Any ideas about what's going on or how to fix it?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted professionally for proper running shoes?

If not, I'd start there.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr., I'd consult one if I were you. But, it's possible it's nothing or you may have some sort of fracture. Maybe a tarsal or metatarsal? (Little bones that make up your toes.) I know a lot or runners that get hairline or stress fractures from overuse.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Yes a stress fracture or tendinitis maybe
  • jenls215
    jenls215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go to a podiatrist. You might need some orthotics.
  • brigbug
    brigbug Posts: 34
    Options
    I had the same injury recently after running since November. It's a tendon that runs up your leg all the way down to your foot. I forget the name of it, starts with an I. I will tell you I iced and rested and now I have no problems. I was running some different paths that made my foot twist differently than running on a track. Try to rest for a few days. Like you I too was bummed, but after taking advice to take it easy for a couple of weeks, I was back to running again.
    Hope this helps.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running store that will do an analysis of your running, usually on a treadmill with a video camera recording your footfalls. They will help you learn how you place your foot when you step and that can help you - they can also recommend which shoes work best for the type of running you do and how you place your foot. Many places will do the analysis for free and let you try on the shoes they have recommended to see how differently your foot feels in stride. Also, many places require an appointment for this service, but check with your running store (usually not your average sporting goods store!!!!)

Another thing might be strain on the tendons or possibly a stress fracture - check with a podiatrist!
  • riverkit
    riverkit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try stretching the muscles on the medial side of your lower leg. They could be tight (which is probably why you are cramping when you focus on running with more force on the inside of your foot). Have someone go through the ROM (range of motion) on that ankle to pinpoint the tightness and then stretch based on what you find. :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    1. See your doctor to rule out any problems.
    2. Get fitted at a top-notch running shoe store (many now use treadmill video taping techniques). This can make a world of difference.
    3. Consult a running coach (they'll have a list of them at a good running shoe store) to get help with your form. It can make a huge difference, too.

:flowerforyou:
  • ria20782
    ria20782 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a underpronator, which means that you put pressure on the outside of your foot while running. I have the same problem (due to my high arches). Proper running shoes would help if that is the problem. I swear by Mizuno's - - they are very light and they have extra support on your arches.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    If you have increased that much in just a few months then I would say SLOW DOWN.(great determination though :smile: !) I know it's hard, running is addicting. Trust me I know! :smile: But your body ie muscles AND bones/joints need time to heal and adapt. When you run, over time your bones actually become more dense from the constant pounding. This takes time and adequate rest while slowly increasing distance. As a rule of thumb it is recommended that one doesn't increase distance more than 30% a week. I totally second the others that have said getting fitted for a good running shoe is VITAL. It may cost you a small amount more in money but will prevent you from injury which can cost you your running future and the overall health of your bone and joints. :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    When it comes to your feet go to the doctor, it may be tendonitis or fracture it could be that your individual foot structure needs some support or better shoes, shoes can make all the difference!
  • rcassizzi
    Options
    If you have increased that much in just a few months then I would say SLOW DOWN.(great determination though :smile: !) I know it's hard, running is addicting. Trust me I know! :smile: But your body ie muscles AND bones/joints need time to heal and adapt. When you run, over time your bones actually become more dense from the constant pounding. This takes time and adequate rest while slowly increasing distance. As a rule of thumb it is recommended that one doesn't increase distance more than 30% a week. I totally second the others that have said getting fitted for a good running shoe is VITAL. It may cost you a small amount more in money but will prevent you from injury which can cost you your running future and the overall health of your bone and joints. :flowerforyou:

x2

I went from barely running down the block to 15 miles at a time in the matter of 4 months. Just recently starting having leg pains, went to the doctor and found out that I had developed multiple stress fractures in my tibia. So now I'm forced to take at least 2 months off to let it heal. Running can be very addicting, but you have to take it slow with your distance increases.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    1.See a doc! You have to rule out any serious injuries or strains
    2.Don’t forget stretching and rest (yes you can stretch even those tiny muscles. Had a friend that did marathons and taught me all kinds
    3.Get proper running shoes. 6 miles is a pretty long run for the average person. Once you are up in those numbers, you should be fitted and wearing running shoes that match your feet. And replace them based on the number of miles you run per year. The stores that sell running shoes around here also do fittings. Where they watch you run and analyze your run then recommend the right shoes based on that.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I had the same injury recently after running since November. It's a tendon that runs up your leg all the way down to your foot. I forget the name of it, starts with an I. I will tell you I iced and rested and now I have no problems. I was running some different paths that made my foot twist differently than running on a track. Try to rest for a few days. Like you I too was bummed, but after taking advice to take it easy for a couple of weeks, I was back to running again.
    Hope this helps.

Actually it starts with a "P" -- the Peroneal tendon. I've had tendonitis in that tendon before and it can hurt pretty bad. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, and NSAIDs are my recipe for healing. Take it easy for a little bit and see if it gets better. Otherwise, yeah, go see a doc, and make sure you're in the right shoes.
  • sociable15
    Options
    1) chiming in with "see a doctor". Especially if you have pain there when walking during the day outside of exercise.
    2) Is it swollen? If so: RICE- rest, ice, compression, and elevation. take a break from running for a bit. Ice it 10 minutes on 10 minutes off after exercise. Use a compression bandage. Elevate it (pillow under while propped on the couch works for me) to reduce swelling. See a doctor. Advil/Ibruprofen works wonders.
    3) Get fitted at a running specialty store for new shoes. They'll judge your gait. The shoes you have may be shot or may be the wrong shoes for your foot/gait.
    4) SLOW DOWN. Increasing too much too fast, either distance or speed or both simutaneously, is one of the BIGGEST causes of running injuries. Level out at where you are if you're able to continue (again see a doctor) and stay in a holding pattern for a few weeks to a month.

good luck. I've had plenty of running pains over the past 18 years of being a distance runner. They suck.
  • carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like rest, better shoes, and maybe doctor are the main points of consensus--now I feel dumb for buying "nice" (meaning more expensive than I'm used to) running shoes at DSW somewhat recently. Maybe "nice" doesn't mean best for the way I actually run. It makes sense though...I've noticed this past week with the foot hurting that my Chaco sandals (with really high arches) feel best. Also the comments about slowly increasing time/distance made me go back to my exercise log...it's barely been over 2 months since starting out. No wonder my body is rebelling!

Thanks once again. Definitely still new to this!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Good idea! You will heal fine and I see a very long future of running for you! You obviously have taken the bull by the horns! Good luck!