Lifting in a crowded gym?

Options
I typically try to fit both lifting and cardio in during my morning gym trips. I would like to lift later in the evening instead, but the gym is so crowded. Does anyone have advice on how to fit in a workout during peak gym hours?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Get a home gym. (My dream :heart_eyes: )
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workout at home
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I go once in awhile when it's crowded but even with only 3 squat racks, I usually don't have to wait or at least wait long. Is it the equipment being in use that you're worried about or just the volume of people you find annoying?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    ear buds, a fair amount of glaring; snort a little, say a little, lift a lot, go home.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Don't do chest on a Monday or biceps on a Friday. You'll be in a long queue!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Legs on Monday.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    ^^^This! :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I hit a smaller less popular gym now a days just for that reason.

It starts getting busy this time of year into the new year reso-peeps.

When its busy, I make my rounds and find out a general time they will be done with equipment & most guys/gals know of me and either let me know when they are going to be done with the squat rack or whatever, or if its really elbow-city I just work in sets with dude/chic.

Other alternative is go at earlier/later time when its less busy.
  • alejandrameraz1
    alejandrameraz1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've notice that monday is chest day, wednesday is shoulder day and friday is biceps/triceps day at my gym. So I try to do my workout for those muscles in a different day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't "do" crowded gym, thus I go at 5 a.m.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my lifting gym is quiet most of the time. Most sessions have max of 8 people, some sessions 15.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    i normally go first thing in the morning or last thing at night, the kids gets off school at around 4 here so the gyms packed until like 7
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just go in and workout... *shrug*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    > Go in with a lose plan- be willing to adjust- wait or shift around other people.
    > Wait 45 min to let the after work crowd trickle out.
    > do legs on monday
    > do programs that only require one barbell and the squat rack and don't give it up once you have it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Stand uncomfortably close and stare at people while licking your lips. They usually give you some space after that. :D

Might not work for you though.