Sick, not eating enough.

Options
Hey friends,

Well I started feeling like I was getting sick on Saturday morning but decided to work out anyways. I managed to reach my max reps on dead lifts at 300lbs but that's besides the point lol.

Anyways now I'm two days into feeling terrible, got a congested chest, constant coughing and I feel tired. I got some medication and what not and it's just a virus passing through, my main problem now is eating. I'm not hungry at all and when I do eat I chart it down and it's sometimes barely above 1000 calories.

Should I worry about it, or just keep eating as much as I can until I feel better? I've been making some progress with weight lifting, and I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and lose my progress.

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think anything goes if you're sick. Nobody eats when they're ill, it's not normal.

Yeah, you might lose some weight and strength but you'll gain it back when you're well.

You'll also get better quicker if you rest and listen to your body
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you can- don't worry about it, and feel better soon!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Please try to get in some calories anything under 1500 for a man is putting you at risk, you are telling your body Hey you are not feeding me, so that means your body will hold on to the fat and not let go.Drink a nutrional protein drink until you get you appetite back. I hopr you feel better soon. Right now you will lose weight with less foods, but sorry to say the weight will come back with more extra pounds.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The same happened to me in Febuary...I ate what I could eat which was not alot...but I DID lose weight....Hope you feel better:)
  • SamyRose04
    Options
    as long as you're eating 850 calories per day your body won't go into starvation mode! Just take it easy & don't stress out :)
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Do what you can and get better soon! 100% juice has a lot of calories in it but it would be great to flush your body with some fresh Vitamin C immunity boost. Sometimes drinking our food is easier than eatting when we feel like crap.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    as long as you're eating 850 calories per day your body won't go into starvation mode! Just take it easy & don't stress out :)

Never heard that. I thought it was 1200 cals...
  • OhSnaps
    OhSnaps Posts: 25
    Options

I always thought it was 1000 cals lol... Well I've been eating lots of fruits today, and will be going to buy some more OJ in a bit.

What sucks is that I rarely get sick, maybe once a year, and now that I was on a streak with my workouts and weight loss I get sick. It's just another hurtle to overcome I guess.
  • SunLove8
    Options

I always thought it was 1000 cals lol... Well I've been eating lots of fruits today, and will be going to buy some more OJ in a bit.

What sucks is that I rarely get sick, maybe once a year, and now that I was on a streak with my workouts and weight loss I get sick. It's just another hurtle to overcome I guess.

LOL, who knows really I guess...I just got over that crap myself. The only positive that came out of it was that I quit smoking, lol. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    I'm sick at the moment and haven't eaten at all in the past 2 days however I'm staying hydrated with 6 glasses of water and 2 cups of green tea. Btw starvation mode is *kitten* my mum's a dietician and said you don't actually go into starvation mode until you get to a really low body fat index and that takes over 3 weeks of practically not eating before you reach that point.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated and eat something if you get hungry. I wouldn't worry about your calorie intake while you feel so lousy. I would make staying in bed and resting the priority. Get better.