How to low carb but not be on Atkins?

Options

Replies

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds and I eat all the carbs I feel like. I eat moderate fat and however much protein I feel like. It's not uncommon for me to eat 200-300g of carbs a day. Works great for me, my husband, and most people I know.

Carbs aren't the problem just like fear mongering carb heads say animal products is the problem... it's not. Getting off your *kitten* and exercising (even walking several times a week is great) and not eating TOO much food. Buy a scale and go with it.

Also - celebrities have liposuction and crazy diet pills and have personal trainers that force them to workout for 4 hours a day because the amount of fat in their butts correlates to their paycheck. In short - they're not normal and don't try to live to those standards.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    All weight loss approaches have the same goal.

That is to get their bodies into a predominantly fat-burning state while running a calorie deficit.

Straight Atkins finds you always in the mode because all you eat is fat and protein- no carbs.

That is NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Atkins has 4 phases. You DO eat carbs, just at a rock-bottom level in the beginning, 20g or less, usually in the form of leafy greens and other green veggies. A small amount of cheese. And protein and fats. After the induction level, you go slowly up the ladder adding in other low-carb foods. Nuts, legumes, berries, and etc, until you reach the last phase, where you add until you figure out your personal carb threshold where you begin to gain.

Check out Atkins website. They have all the food lists for the Phases on there.

Variations on the Atkins approach are plentiful.

The point is that the body is in the fat-burning mode.

By the way, in the fat-burning mode, glucose is MADE from labile non-essential protein.

Carbs are not needed for that purpose.

The Inuit Alaskans eat seal meat and blubber all the time.

Over time in the fat-burning state, the brain can even survive on a 50% mix of ketones-glucose.

Hey experts out there, if you find someone who has maintained their weight loss using ANY sort of Atkins approach five years out, let's here the details.

Bet you can't find anyone.

You do realize that Inuit are NOT in ketosis, right? They eat their meat raw and get glycogen from it as well as other foods in their diets. They have been studied and have not been found to be in ketosis, at least not for long periods of time.

I would like a source for that.

Thanks in advance.

jbc.org/content/80/2/461.full.pdf
    pg 461 is the start and pg 463 gets to the conclusion that they showed no signs of ketosis. However, if I was looking for a population to extol the virtues of a particular diet I think I would avoid the population with probably the lowest life expectancy in the first world. The Canadian Inuit have a life expectancy well below the average at 66.7, rough tied with Egypt ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548761/

And this, boys and girls, is how you properly support your claims by citing your sources.
    Cue his (or some other sock's) reply that it's an article from 1928.... But yes, I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds and I eat all the carbs I feel like. I eat moderate fat and however much protein I feel like. It's not uncommon for me to eat 200-300g of carbs a day. Works great for me, my husband, and most people I know.

Carbs aren't the problem just like fear mongering carb heads say animal products is the problem... it's not. Getting off your *kitten* and exercising (even walking several times a week is great) and not eating TOO much food. Buy a scale and go with it.

Also - celebrities have liposuction and crazy diet pills and have personal trainers that force them to workout for 4 hours a day because the amount of fat in their butts correlates to their paycheck. In short - they're not normal and don't try to live to those standards.
    Congrats on finding what works for you. cheers!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Alyjacck wrote: »
    That makes alot of sense steve.

Except that it's nonsense. He's conflating dietary fat and adipose tissue.

Wrong again. It's all in Guyton's.

OP, don't let these fitness guys steer you in the wrong direction. My original post is spot on should be your touchstone.

giphy.gif
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So I am interested in people who eat low carb to lose weight but are not doing atkins.

How many carbs do you eat?

I see MANY actresses/dancer/whatever saying when they want to get in shape the eat no carb no sugar.

I just wonder if they literally mean no carbs and sugar (like atkins) or something more moderate.

Thank you.

Hi @Alyjacck
    I tried atkins long time ago and was really good for my diabetes but caused me other problems, but I did learn a lot from it.

I now stick to around 100 to 150 carbs per meal, and around 7 to 10 sugars per meal, and i try to keep saturated fats and sodium in check too.

Calories i dont check much, or normal fats, but as it happens most times I seem to be under 1200 cals a day, just luck i guess.

I find that gives me energy most of day so i am able to sleep at night, and with my meds for my diabetes can burn off the sugars over a 5 hour period.

But it be different for everyone, I just do what works best for me.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, so low carb is the first thing that has allowed me to lose weight. It seems to work for a lot of people, whether diabetic or not.

I still eat carbs, and I still eat small amounts of sugar. The goal is to not have your blood sugar spike or dip too much through the day. It's actually very easy to do.

I eat 3 meals a day. A snack if I feel the need.
    I keep my carbs to about 30 per meal. That usually equates to meat and veg. I avoid high glycemic veg (I've dropped potatoes completely.)
    I have dropped most fruits, but I still eat blue and strawberries. I tend to stick to berries.
    I always eat a protein with my carbs.
    Net carbs are carbs minus fibre, that's what I count toward the 30.
    I stick to full fat, typically it's lower in carbs.
    Obviously, calorie restriction is still the order, but I find it's just a lot easier to stay under goal with low carb.

Low carb is not a fad. Just because you don't do something does not make it a fad. But...people will spout their opinions because...well...internet. Give it an honest effort, and if it doesn't work, try something else.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So I am interested in people who eat low carb to lose weight but are not doing atkins.

How many carbs do you eat?

I see MANY actresses/dancer/whatever saying when they want to get in shape the eat no carb no sugar.

I just wonder if they literally mean no carbs and sugar (like atkins) or something more moderate.

Thank you.

I am on a "low" carb diet under the direction of my Dr. She considers low to be 150 grams daily or less. I am pre-diabetic, with both glucose intolerance and insulin resistant. Ideally I try to stay at 100 grams or less per day. The guidelines I was given were to eat about 30 grams per meal and 10-15 grams per snack but to not go over 150 grams daily intake.

I avoid foods like; rice, corn, oats, potatoes, pasta, wheat, all tropical fruits, melons, pears, juices, starchy vegetables, breads, pastries, cereals, and candies. I read labels and don't eat a lot of boxed, or prepared foods (casseroles, frozen dinners, etc) I don't worry about fat intake but I do try to get enough protein in.

Many of the "low carb" folks will say what I am doing is not low carb, that low carb is <50 grams of carbs daily. There really is not a good measure for this but since most people eat in excess of 300 carbs a day, reducing by 50% is low carb. I forget where I read or heard that factoid so I may be off on that number.

I do cheat from time to time, maybe every 2 weeks or so. If you need to be gluten free I would look at paleo type diets - ignore the philosophical basis it's cherry picked anthropology and is utter BS but the actual food plan is not a bad diet.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that everyone has a different idea when they say low carb or no carb. No carb would be very unhealthy since vegetables should be the larger component of anyone's diet and they are mostly carbs. Also fruit is very good for you, particularly berries, with regard to antitoxins and micronutrients. Netting out fibre doesn't mean you didn't eat a carb it just means you ate a carb with fibre! I think that keeping junk carbs (pastries, white bread, white pasta, bagels) to a small part of your diet (calorie dense, nutritional poor) is a good idea but eating these as a treat isn't going to kill you either. Carbs are essential for energy, how much you need depends on your workout schedule and lifestyle. It is simply not true that they aren't an essential part of a diet. The comment "don't let the fitness guys steer you in the wrong direction" is really offensive. They are promoting fitness which it universally accepted as a good thing - they aren't standing on corners trying to sell weird stuff to your children. Me - I just had some steel cut oatmeal with berries and greek yogurt. I'm now off to the gym to lift some heavy stuff (for me anyway).
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Netting out fibre doesn't mean you didn't eat a carb it just means you ate a carb with fibre!

Fibre, and sugar alcohols have very little effect on blood sugar. Which is why diabetics subtract them. There is a formula for it (erythritol has 0 effect, things like stevia and xylitol have slightly higher effect) but most people don't need to worry about that stuff.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »

And for people who do go low carb, the amount of carbs they eat is largely personal.

I don't see anything wrong with going low carb as long as it's sustainable for the person trying it; it wouldn't work for me. As a generality, I'd guess low carb is probably 50-100g per day or lower, with people having their own personal definitions.

It should be noted that you still need to be in a caloric deficit, regardless of how you distribute your macronutrients.

This is right. You need to decide what level you want to be at as far as carbs. Steer clear from table sugar, corn syrups, or refined flour and it's ilk. Low-carb diets are all about budgeting your carbs, so picking stuff with a responsible gylcemic load and better nutrients are priority. Generally speaking, of course.

150-100g is mostly the diabetic/medical low-carb level, though many low carbers are comfortable with this level. It is the higher of the low-carb diets and gives you more leeway.
    Many go as far as 50g-100g.
    The ketosis crowd generally hangs out under 50g.

For me, I currently stay under 30g daily, eat high fat, moderate protein, and use my carbs on green veggies, salad greens, and low-carb dairy (like heavy cream, sour cream, and cheese.) And I keep my calories under my calorie goal.

HTH. Most importantly, do some research on low-carb diets, as you obviously can't believe certain people on here... And check out the low-carb groups on here.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

what is wrong with table sugar???

Obviously nothing if you are talking about an IIFYM diet or a standard calorie deficit plan. :smile: But that's not what we are talking about. And you know that.

Added sugars->higher carbs->takes up all your budget->you're a VERY hungry monkey
    Choose lower carb foods->eat greater volume of food->you're a full monkey

Sure you can eat higher-carb things in a low-carb diet to spend your carbs, but you will run out PDQ and spend the rest of the day not eating carbs. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... If that's how you want to run the ball, it's your game.

Low-carb plan-wise, if you are wanting to stay on your plan, staying away from higher-carb foods is ideal, because food volume. Added sugars naturally have higher carbs. Ipso facto...well I think I've made my point.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The Inuit were eating their traditional diet then as now. But feel free to post any studies you have. The rest is not relevant to my post.
  • Paper_Diva
    Paper_Diva Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is a misconception that Atkins is no carbs. It is not. It starts out very low but then gradually adds carbs back in a certain order. When you reach your goal weight you also find what amount of carbs keeps you at your goal weight. So it is an individual number. It is not zero carbs.

I wouldn't pay attention to what fad anyone in the media is using.

You need to look at your own diet and fitness goals and make changes that you can live with and op do for the rest of your life.

You just posted that you have not been working out very much. Exercise is an important part of weight loss and staying healthy in the long run. You might have answered your own question!

Good luck!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of still having fruits and vegetables because I'm not really wanting to eat meat. Only eggs and cheese I'm ok with..

I don't know maybe low carb is not for me.

I low carb, try to keep it under 50 grams a day. I stay under my calorie goal and lose weight faster than if I just ate 1200 calories of cereal, whatever, etc. the carbs I do eat are from veggies.

BUT you have to LIKE meat! If you don't, you are going to be sick of eggs in a month, constipated from too much cheese, and probably dizzy like you described. If you don't like meat than paleo or low carb are NOT for you!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of still having fruits and vegetables because I'm not really wanting to eat meat. Only eggs and cheese I'm ok with..

I don't know maybe low carb is not for me.

I low carb, try to keep it under 50 grams a day. I stay under my calorie goal and lose weight faster than if I just ate 1200 calories of cereal, whatever, etc. the carbs I do eat are from veggies.

BUT you have to LIKE meat! If you don't, you are going to be sick of eggs in a month, constipated from too much cheese, and probably dizzy like you described. If you don't like meat than paleo or low carb are NOT for you!

Low-carb is great for a lot of people, but not everyone. It needs to be something you can sustain. It isn't about making yourself miserable, it's about effecting positive habits on your life that will get you to where you want to be, while living a full happy life. :smiley:

Although, there are some vegetarian and vegan low-carbers out there who do well. You might want to research what they do to help you decide, OP.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

That is to get their bodies into a predominantly fat-burning state while running a calorie deficit.

Straight Atkins finds you always in the mode because all you eat is fat and protein- no carbs.

That is NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Atkins has 4 phases. You DO eat carbs, just at a rock-bottom level in the beginning, 20g or less, usually in the form of leafy greens and other green veggies. A small amount of cheese. And protein and fats. After the induction level, you go slowly up the ladder adding in other low-carb foods. Nuts, legumes, berries, and etc, until you reach the last phase, where you add until you figure out your personal carb threshold where you begin to gain.

By the way, in the fat-burning mode, glucose is MADE from labile non-essential protein.

Over time in the fat-burning state, the brain can even survive on a 50% mix of ketones-glucose.

Hey experts out there, if you find someone who has maintained their weight loss using ANY sort of Atkins approach five years out, let's here the details.

You do realize that Inuit are NOT in ketosis, right? They eat their meat raw and get glycogen from it as well as other foods in their diets. They have been studied and have not been found to be in ketosis, at least not for long periods of time.

Thanks in advance.

PSA - this user is a known fraudulent account. Also uses a fake profile picture, do not engage.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

That is NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Thanks in advance.

jbc.org/content/80/2/461.full.pdf
    pg 461 is the start and pg 463 gets to the conclusion that they showed no signs of ketosis. However, if I was looking for a population to extol the virtues of a particular diet I think I would avoid the population with probably the lowest life expectancy in the first world. The Canadian Inuit have a life expectancy well below the average at 66.7, rough tied with Egypt ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548761/

Well, I was all settled in to get into the article you provided. I see, though, that it was from 1928!!!

So much for that. How about something less than 80 years old?

Why do you think this matters in this case?

Which diet do you think is more representative of the traditional Inuit diet? The one studied 80 yrs ago or one studied today?

• leicesteralex
    Options
    For me low-carb is a lifestyle. I do a ketogenic diet 98% of the time. If you are interested in the science behind it I suggest you google Dr Peter Atta.
    I eat less than 50g of carbs a day, My protein intake is moderate at 60 to 90g a day and the rest is fat. That is about 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat.
    It's not a diet lifestyle for everyone but it's for me. So I do a ketogenic what is like the first stage of atkins but lower in protein I think.
    When it comes to diet I always say you have to find your way. What is your lifestyle? What do you want achieve? Do you love carbs or can you go without? A diet is for life and not only for christmas.
    There is no one fits all
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why do you think this matters in this case?

Which diet do you think is more representative of the traditional Inuit diet? The one studied 80 yrs ago or one studied today?

The lack of analytical facilities in the old study isn't helpful, I remain confused as to what they measured in blood and how in order to determine the level of ketosis. I can see how fresh meat eaten while warm and fresh organs would be a carbohydrate source.

We had an interesting TV documentary on some remote Arctic community - in Russia I think - where one guy had a noticeably different cholesterol profile to the others, turned out his wife made cakes and he was eating a lot of "Western" or "modern" foods rather than the traditional hunter diet.

It would be fair to assume that we've screwed over the traditional diet of many communities in the last 100+ years.