Brand spankin' new

Hello! I just started on a ketogenic diet 4 days ago...so would love to chat with some folks that are more experienced! I started mainly due to some low cognitive functions - poor memory, bad mood, increased dyslexia, ect & needed a good brain diet but am also very interested in ketosis for weight loss as I could go down 40-60 lbs. Besides high weight and poor brain functions I am an otherwise happy and healthy woman in my late 20s that enjoys bicycling, hiking, playing with my pup... Since starting the diet I have noticed a very marked increase in energy, memory and better mood already. Just today was my first time experiencing a distaste for the diet....so.much.fat. I really wanted some toast, noodles, white potatoes....spring rolls with rice noodles...whatever carb I could get my hands on (all of which exist within my house....roommates make the out of sight/out of mind thing impossible) I did eat one newman O cookie (10g carbs) And it was the first time I experienced hunger on this diet so far...every other day I've felt completely content eating extremely high fat & low carb. I'm wondering the best/healthiest way to approach this. A little more protein? More vitamins? More veggies? I also tried Stevia extract for the first time - a few drops in my coffee this morning....perhaps that is the source of the sudden cravings & I should skip any sugar subs.
Well I appreciate this forum! & thank anyone that takes the time to read/respond/offer advice!

Replies

• Dezzie1180
    Dezzie1180 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi, I'm on keto as well. It took me about 2 weeks to stop craving carbs. Try drinking lemon ginger water. I think that's what made me stop wanting nachos. I'm on it for brain function and weight loss too. Good luck and keep pushing forward. :)
  • Sunnyfloweraz
    Sunnyfloweraz Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Hi! I need to lose 70lbs (more if I can but that is my goal right now) I am severely Insulin resistant, tried everything under the sun the last 1.5 years to lose, nothing is working. Signed up for the Gastric Sleeve but was told my Insurance won't cover it... My Dr. feels bad since there is nothing she can do for me my blood work is all good (not complaining about that trust me!) My Dr. thinks my thyroid # was not optimal so I am on a small dose of Armour Thyroid.
    So, in addition to logging on here, continuing with my fitbit I am doing 25 days of Medifast (to kick-start myself) then switch to a Ketogenic diet monitored by my Dr. of course. 2 weeks ago I joined the Y and have only missed 1 day and put in 2 hours of classes, cardio and weights! (so far I am LOVING PILATES!)
    I am glad to see others on Keto! I am excited to give it a try!
    Lemon Ginger water sounds AMAZING!!!
    That is me in a nutshell!
  • jennyrol
    jennyrol Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks so much for the responses, Dezzie & sunnyflower! Im going to try some lemon ginger water - that does sound amazing! I appreciate the encouraging words immensely! If you'd like we can keep in touch to pass on tips & tricks!