Question about additional calories for exercise

Options
billr9mm
billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
Is it just me or does it seem MFP allows for alot more calories based on exercise?

I am very new at this, and I understand the concept of adding calories based on physical activity but sometimes it seems the amount is excessive.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the additional food but sometimes it confuses me because isn't the intent to use exercise to burn additional calories to aid in weight lose? I understand needing and requiring additional calories for nutrition and support but I just think MFP's allowances seem high.

Replies

• arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your deficit based on your base metabolic rate, which is the number of calories you burn every day without exercise. for example, if your BMR is 2000 calories a day and you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need a daily deficit of 500 calories. So, MFP will tell you to eat 1500 calories a day. If you then go to the gym and burn an additional 500 calories, you can eat those calories back and still be at a 500 calorie deficit for the day. So, you can eat 2000 calories and still be on track to lose a pound a week.

When I work out, I want to make it worth my while so I usually burn a lot. I don't always eat every single one of my exercise calories back but I know that I can if I feel like my body needs (or I just want pizza) it and still be on track to meet my goals.

Hope this helps!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is known to be rather high. I find what it estimates my running at to be the most accurate, but I think that's because there are simply more studies done on the relationship between running/calorie burn at different body sizes and levels of cardiovascular fitness.

Don't forget, MFP's numbers are all estimates - there's no technology that 100% knows how many calories you've actually burned. That being said, a heart-rate-monitor that you wear will probably be more accurate, because it goes directly by heart rate. The relationship between heart-rate and calorie burn is not linear, but your heart rate provides a guideline to how much effort you are putting in to that activity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Depends on what exercise.

Walking and running with very specific speeds, if you actually did that speed the WHOLE time you logged, is more accurate than HRM.

Biking is rather wide ranges, and again avg for the whole time, as long as up/down hill cancel each other out, and head/tail wind do to. But you'll usually burn more than given if you had lots of stops lowering your average speed.

Other stuff with no description of intensity - who knows if you are doing it the same level as the studies that gave those burns.

Strength training is actually pretty good estimate - seems low but that is true.

And strong concept to get down, which MFP supports.

Diet is for weight loss - done right just fat loss, done wrong includes muscle mass loss. Bummer.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements - done right can support fat loss, done wrong can help muscle loss. Body improvements is usually weight gain, water mostly.

Only thing exercise helps with weight loss is causing your daily burn to be higher, so that when you eat less than that higher amount, you'll hopefully adhere to the diet.

Would you be more apt to adhere to eating 2000 if you burned 2500 daily which includes exercise, or eat 1500 with burning 2000 with no exercise?

Both are 500 cal deficit, both lead to 1 lb weekly loss if done daily.

Don't think bigger deficit is better, it's not. Especially not for exercise you want improvements from. And why else do the workout if no payoff.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I usually swim for exercise, and have found MFP to be quite accurate. I'm not sure about the others because I haven't used them. I usually only eat back about 75% of mine.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat back my exercise calories. Only when I feel I need to. I find those estimates to be wildly inaccurate. Even the heart rate monitor ones. I had a friend hop on my stationary bike for 50 minutes and her HRM said she burned 1200 calories.... And she insisted on eating back all 1200. :noway:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat back my exercise calories. Only when I feel I need to. I find those estimates to be wildly inaccurate. Even the heart rate monitor ones. I had a friend hop on my stationary bike for 50 minutes and her HRM said she burned 1200 calories.... And she insisted on eating back all 1200. :noway:

Wow! My HRM said I burned about 350 calories in 45 mins of spinning. I might be fitter than your friend, but 1200 calories is mad!

I rarely eat back any of my exercise calories. I honestly don't think I'd lose weight if I did. I increased calories when I was pregnant, so I guess effectively eating my exercise calories, and I gained weight. Of course, I may have done anyway.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all your input and knowledge sharing. It is very helpful, I'm glad I asked the question!!

I agree, the calories for weight training seems to be spot on, I know weight training is not meant for calorie burn. I will plan to consume those additional calories with something that contains higher protein content.

TY!!
  • heybales
    Options

See it tells me i burn WAY more than my bike tells me i have. So just to be safe I do not eat it back. But i do not know if i should because the IIFYM tells me to eat over 1600 hundred calories but i want to get the fat off so i eat only 1200. Might be shooting myself in the foot.

Shooting your body in the metabolism.

IIFYM is using different method than MFP.
    Did you tell that site your hours of exercise weekly? Honestly too?
    Then deficit is taken off what you on average will burn each day. But you better do the workout - this is where the confusion comes that exercise is required for weight loss - when it was included in the estimate of what you burn daily.

But MFP assumes none done, and provides weight loss on non-exercise days.
    Same on exercise days by eating more, what you burned in the workout.

Read my post above.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my exercise calories, there is no way to know how many you have burned since there are so many variables. It is very easy to overestimate, especially by methods like MFP. I have read a lot of posts from people who are not being successful and a lot of times is from overestimating their calories and being on actual surplus when they think they are at a deficit.

What I suggest is upping your daily calories by a few hundred or adding about 200 on days you do exercise. What I did while cutting was to have an extra protein shake after my workouts. You get the protein you need to build and restore muscle while adding additional calories.

By the way burning 1,000+ calories is hard to do, I see so many people log that almost on a daily basis, there is no way they are burning that many calories. They would be pretty burned out after a week or two.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I log exercise like the gym I manually half the calorie burn before entering it

The rest of my activity is picked up by my fitbit and on a non gym day I will take 350-500 calories for that as during the day the fitbit extrapolated estimates are too high (I tend to take longer dog walks first thing) I will only complete my journal the next day when fitbit burn is accurate for the previous day

It's working so far but to be honest I've generally under-eaten by about 1000 cals per week to date ...this week I have started eating much closer to the actual allowance so I'm interested to see if I drop a lb or not
  • heybales
    Options
    When I log exercise like the gym I manually half the calorie burn before entering it

The rest of my activity is picked up by my fitbit and on a non gym day I will take 350-500 calories for that as during the day the fitbit extrapolated estimates are too high (I tend to take longer dog walks first thing) I will only complete my journal the next day when fitbit burn is accurate for the previous day

It's working so far but to be honest I've generally under-eaten by about 1000 cals per week to date ...this week I have started eating much closer to the actual allowance so I'm interested to see if I drop a lb or not

Why don't you just turn off the Setting option for Calorie Estimation, so you don't get those inflated daily calories?

Start's your eating goal based on sedentary, and then only increases it when you actually burn more.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yes, the exercise calories are all over the place. It tries to tell me that I burn 600 calories for an hour of Aikido. If I went at it at 100% for the entire hour, then maybe. But a class isn't like that. There is sitting around while a technique is demonstrated, then you try to do it and fluff it for the first few goes. Then you get it and get into a rhythm and the instructor stops the class to show another technique. So I always divide the class time by at least 3 depending on what we actually did.

My point is, as has been said, there is no definitive count - every one is different!! The important bit is are you losing??? If the answer is yes, then carry on. If not, look for what could be wrong and change it a bit. Then stick with the change for a few weeks and reassess.

I see so many people get hung up on numbers here. I believe that people get lost in the detail and miss the big picture. KISS!!
  • kf5nd
    kf5nd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I divide Aikido time by 2, personally. We get pretty tired in our Dojo. Soaked in sweat.