Fruits and Veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• scarletkitsune
    scarletkitsune Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can get a couple servings into my morning smoothie. Carrots, kale, spinach, and beets are some of my favorites.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone's mentioned this already - I didn't read all of the posts!

My main target when I first started eating healthy was to increase my veggies, as I'm a bit picky about which ones I like. The easiest way is just add one extra vegetable to whatever you're making for dinner - probably easier when you're making something with a sauce e.g. spagetti, chilli, curry, casserole etc - and if you add enough veggies you can get an extra serving or two out of it as well!

Or stirfry a few veggies as a side dish: onions, mushrooms and peppers are my main go to vegetables, but a few peas, some grated carrot or courgette would work in the mix as well. Sometimes I add herbs/spices/a stock cube to add a little flavor or to complement what I'm cooking for dinner.

And try new ones, or even old ones you didnt think you liked! I didn't used to like peppers, but now they're a staple in my diet and I discovered that I like brocolli too... as long as it has some sauce on it or is in strifry!!
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like to make smoothies where you can easily get 2-5 servings a day in. At lunch times I always incorporate salad in some way, lots of places when your eating out will let you switch certain foods for salad options or at least a healthier alternative which will give you 1 of your five a day.

I also tend to keep raw carrot sticks as snacks which I like to dip in humus or guacamole for a bit of extra protein/fibre.
  • erinb419
    Options
    I use mashed up raspberries as a spread on my toast instead of jam.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I like snacking on raw veg dipped in hummous or tzaziki. Raw green beans, snow peas, or sugar snaps if you are too lazy to cut up vegetable sticks.

Nam Prik Ong is an awesome Thai recipe for eating a lot of raw veg with a warm dip. Replace pork mince with beef if you want to reduce fat.
    http://importfood.com/recipes/namprikong.html

Similar dish of raw veg and and warm dip, is Italian Bagna Cauda. Unfortunately not low cal.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/bagna-cauda.html
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to start making smoothies.