Antidepressants and feeling depressed

Hi,

I suppose I never realized that the cause of my weight gain could have been starting a low dose antidepressant. Huh.

Anyway, when it starts to get darker outside towards this time of year my symptoms come back at their worst...the dark triggers something for me and my mind goes back to years ago. I hate the feeling. AND I recently tried decreasing my med slightly due to side effects...but I don't think I should lower it, at least not this time of year when it's worst for me. I also don't care what I eat when I have low episodes although I'm still tracking. Part of it is just not caring about preparing food or cooking when I feel like this. :-(

I just need uplifting words right now and support...

Thx guys.

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    I'm sorry you're experiencing more severe symptoms. sadly, a lot of people have them, so you're not alone! do you do any sort of physical activities such as working out? if not, perhaps you can try(really hard!) to introduce some into your daily routine. doing so will more than likely help alleviate some of your symptoms!

remember, life isn't about dodging the storms... it's about learning to dance in the rain ;)
  • evee7340
    evee7340 Posts: 24 Member
    It's natural to feel down when daylight hours get shorter and the cold weather comes. If you really think it's seasonal, look into a full-spectrum light--I've never used one but have heard they work for some people.

I'm on three pretty high-dose meds, but i still have trouble with motivation. Some days I push myself--I concentrate on how good I'll feel after I go to the gym or how much more I'll be able to eat for dinner if I exercise. :) Other days it's just too tough and I give in to the laziness. On days like that you just have to be kind to yourself. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up when you do a little less than best.

As far as the antidepressants causing weight gain, there are plenty out there that don't--talk to your doctor! I don't know what class of medication you're on, but if it's an SSRI (like Prozac, Paxil, or Zoloft) look into Vybriid or Fetzima. I've taken both and they work well without the weight gain side effects (or the decreased sex drive side effect, if that's a problem for you too).

If you have any questions or just want to chat feel free to add me/message me. I've got a good deal of experience with this stuff. :)
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Hi eves - I would like to add you as I am trying to make a change as I have picked up a large amount of weight over past two years on SSRI and need to try another one. Suppose to see dr. InNovember to get new one.

Julia, I get the same thing but I live somewhere really sunny now most days so even though the days are shorter, I do not get it as bad. However, I do make it a point to try to be outside in the sunshine every day for at least 15 minutes and that also helps tremendously. Have you ever considered using lights to help your hormonal levels stay up dueling winter months? Might be worth considering if you live in a cloudy place.

Hang in there and keep reaching out!
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Hi Julia, i totally understand this on many levels, my naturopath described this too me as 'seasonal depression". The tipping point for me was working nights last winter and never seeing sunlight - i became very near suicidal. My dose for anti depressants had to be doubled during this time. Needles to say i tried to adjust my lifestyle as much as possible to avoid this "seasonal depression" as much as possible. I try and get outside as much as i can especially during the shorter days, i don't work nights and i regularly see my GP in regards to this issue.

Perhaps look into changing your antidepressant completely, it sounds like the one you are on is not suitable.

When you feel especially low talk to someone : http://www.7cupsoftea.com/
  • I feel you. I'm dealing with the same issues. If you ever need someone to talk to or an encouraging word. Just message me. :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    This is not medical advice but just my experience.
    At my heaviest, I was put on various mood medications. I was very depressed and harbored grave doubts about my whole existence. It was just one medication after another. And I thought once this stuff kicked in, then I'd get healthy.
    Long-short...nothing helped, so I quit all medications and just started taking walks and lifting light weights with slight alterations in diet. In 2 months I dropped 30 pounds and realized I had hope for a better tomorrow. Also, I found MFP! My journey was up and down with plenty of weight loss setbacks.
    That is to be expected.
    As the weight dropped and my physical health improved, so too did my mood swings and everything else.
    o2j9lzu2mvs2.jpg

I eventually reached my weight loss goals and look back on that dark era of my life with sorrow and regret.
    Not once did my doctor ever tell me my real problem was that my wrecked physical health was also reflected in my mental health. It seems so obvious now.
    I do not know your situation, so again, this is not medical advice.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Hi beautiful! Please add me as a friend, I will be more than happy to be your a member of your cheer tem. Let me explain a few things (I don't normally talk about on here, but I feel it's needed).
    I have been treated for depression most of my adult life. The diagnosis has ranged from mild depression to bi-polar to the current status of anxiety disorder w/depression. The best thing I EVER did for my depression was lose the weight. Yes it was hard, it was hard as hell, but I did it and I am literally a new person for it. In 2005 I was diagnosed w/ BP, I cried I know for a week straight just over the diagnosis, I felt like a failure, like it was my fault, and everyone knows it isn't. I'd hid in closets and cry to avoid my husband seeing me when what I really needed was him to help me thru it. Anyway, it took me until 2011 to realize it was up to me to do something.
    Just as 50lb said, this is not medical advice, this is my story. My p-doc never once advised me to lose weight. At 5-9 and at my heaviest (while seeing her) at 265. Not once was my weight mentioned as a reason or ever a contributor to my severe unhappiness. This particular doc, I believe, wished to keep me very heavily medicated. Anti-psychotics, anxiety pills, anti-depressants. I used to drive after taking 8 mg of Xanax, some mornings I didn't remember the drive. I had to apply for FMLA to protect my job that I was laid off of anyway.
    If you have p-doc, maybe you need to seek help from a different one? Don't be afraid to change doctors. Their first goal is to HELP you and if they are not, ask why or find another, this is your life, your health, no one controls it but you! Once I finally got that thru MY thick head, I started my diet (not going to say which one, everyone is different and I don't want bashing on your thread) and while I have had ups and downs in my weight I weighted in at 187 this morning and it's a great feeling.
    I am not looking forward to winter either. I am on migraine meds that affect my vision and I can't drive at night right now, it's night almost all the friggin time, lol.

ps. I am working on my motivation right now, I have none, lol. My co-worker and I have a squat challenge going. Do you have any close by friends/family to come get you out of the house during the daylight, get some Vit D!

Best of luck to you! And please remember that this will pass, nothing is forever and we control our own destiny!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I definitely understand. I have been on antidepressants for 12 years and tried to go off a couple of years ago but the depression got so bad I had all of my affairs in order (to the point where I had baskets of little things already divided up for my nieces and nephew). I was ready to go and planned on it for a week later (then I got some good news and put it off). I went back on a brand new one and right now feel better than I have in 15 years.

Regarding the seasonal part, have you discussed vitamin D with your doctor? Higher doses of that seem to help the mood, especially in winter, and many depressed people don't get enough in general. Evidence is still more anecdotal but there is a definite correlation.

I also put on a lot of weight since starting the SSRI but I don't blame the meds. I blame the fact that the depression made me not care as to whether I was eating well. I didn't want to fix regular meals; I did not want to go grocery shopping; I wouldn't do the dishes for days; you get the idea. I am on a normal dose and am dropping weight at a regular pace.

Psychotropic drugs ARE overprescribed, but they are also a necessary part of life for some and we need to work within their limitations to get the life we want. You can lose weight and keep it off while taking them. You just have to be even more self aware and know your triggers better than other people because there tends to be more triggers, some related to the meds and some to the depression.

Good luck on your journey!

58841349.png
  • lavagirlangie
    lavagirlangie Posts: 19 Member
    It sounds like you are describing the symptoms of S.A.D. or seasonal affective disorder. People that have that problem need to spend more time in bright daylight or in full range artificial lighting.
  • lolwtfisthis
    lolwtfisthis Posts: 7 Member
    A (not so) fun fact about antidepressants; very common side effects of many are depression and weight gain.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    While antidepressants tend to encourage weight gain, it tends to be because they can dull the decision making process and limit self-control with certain compulsive orders. It is not common that they increase weight simply for themselves alone, like by causing water retention past 10 pounds or the like.

If you feel you need medication, then you should take it. Don't decrease without a doctor's input. Remember, not all depression comes from the chemicals in the head. It can be generated by adrenal hormones, vitamin deficiencies and more as well. Get your vitamins checked, make sure you get enough vitamin D, regularly work out regardless of whether you "feel like it," and make conscious food choices. Care is an active choice... some days that choice is easier than others.

I was on heavy meds for about 5 years before I transitioned off around a year ago. I've successfully stayed off meds, despite being diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and autism, eating disorders and PTSD, by simply paying attention to myself and responding at the first signs of any symptoms with activity, sleep or whatever else I might need. Meds are not meant to erase your depression... Frankly, if they did that, they'd erase your other emotions too. They are meant to make it easier for you to feel normal.

You are strong enough and powerful enough to conquer these changes. I promise!!!