Plateau Help? Please?

Options
Hi!! While I have been on Myfitnesspal for a while, I haven't ever posted here. I am down 36-37 pounds and am now stuck at 159. I am 50 yrs old and want to get to 145. Anyone have any advice to get over this month old + Hump? I got as low as 157 but the dietician said it was only water weight gone..so I was still at 159....I'm so frustrated.

Replies

• ladystarr
    Options
    Hmm...I dread the day I hit my own plateau. Maybe you can try a different work out to shift things? I don't want to say eat less, since you maybe already do. I hope you can over come it.
  • morganblythe
    Options
    yeah I tried eating less and that didn't do a darn thing! Thanks for the support. I tried jumping rope and it was fun but I have a bad back and it really hurt the next day :disappointed_relieved:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you've been stuck, it's possible you're eating more than you think. Can you open your diary up?
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have had plateaus that lasted 7 weeks! But I just kept tracking and exercising and then lost a bit more before plateauing again.

When I was younger I could just eat less exercise more and lose weight. In my experience that is NOT the case after 50. I have to be sure eat back most of my exercise calories and I have to have the patience of a saint.

So: KEEP TRACKING KEEP EXERCISING and EVENTUALLY we will lose the weight!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to increase your water consumption if your dietician thinks you are retaining water, then losing it. Also, be mindful of salty carbs and condiments (soy sauce got me last weekend).

If you know you are eating at a deficit, the weight will eventually come off. If you are not positive you are at a deficit maybe be more careful weighing all your foods and logging as accurately as possible.

55835802.png
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your diet. Eat more protein, less carbs, or vice versa depending on how you already eat. Change up your exercise routine too. If you've been mostly focusing on cardio, try doing a bit more strength training instead. Try changing your calories too. Maybe increasing by a 100 or 200. I've heard upping calories has helped people move past platues.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy to help in anyway I can. You actually might need to up your calories a bit to get past this... Feel free to friend me if you would like to; ankdworak
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ankdworak wrote: »
    Happy to help in anyway I can. You actually might need to up your calories a bit to get past this... Feel free to friend me if you would like to; ankdworak
    Just NO!

OP-Have you adjusted your goals to incorporate your loss? When you get down to the wire, logging becomes more critical.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since it has been a month, it seems you are eating too much. If you don't use one, get a food scale.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ankdworak wrote: »

If you are eating at what appears to be maintenance, UPPING your calories is not going to help you. Make sure you are logging correctly will be a help.

Perhaps if everything is being logged, you could try slightly lowering to see if that creates a bigger deficit and gets you moving again :)
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Every time I have hit a plateau I have managed to bust through it by adding to my exercise routine. I am a walker so I changed routes to include more hills and added just 5 min to my walk. It worked on all 3 plateaus. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck!