Binging in recovery - please help

Options
I'm trying to adopt a normal plan of eating so I can recover from an ED, but I keep binging every time I start eating.

It's nearly 1 PM where I'm at and I've already eaten over 2,000 calories - I don't know what's wrong with me.

I know I'm underweight (5'5.5" 107 lbs) and I know that triggers binges but I'm not restricting anymore. I don't know why my body keeps asking for more.

I'm trying to do things the right way. I'm getting into lifting so not all of the weight I gain back will be fat. But I can already see some fat beginning to accumulate on my stomach because yesterday I was over 2,000 and the day before that I managed to hit 3,500! Granted I've been exercising quite a bit, but I know I'm gaining because no amount of exercise outdoes a bad diet.

I'm trying to eat a healthy amount, but now I'mm eating too much and I can't stop. Please help.

Replies

• mo624
    mo624 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm also recovering from an ed . I only have one piece of advice for you and it's that you have to want to recover and eat right badly . I believe you can do it . Did your doctors give you a meal plan ? Follow that and don't exercise to much because then you'd be burning too many calories and you'll lose more weight which is not good
  • mo624
    mo624 Posts: 15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Omg :D I just remembered something that's helping me .. I buy my food for the day daily so I don't have a whole bunch of food in my house , which prevents binges
  • campiee4
    campiee4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have much specific advice to share...
    but I want to say that you can do this. It sounds so hard, but each day is a new day and you can do this.
    Following what Mo624 said, can you shop daily? Or portion out your food for each day?
    If being at home is triggering your bingeing, get out of the house. Preferably to somewhere like a park where there wouldn't be a lot of temptation.

Good luck to you and be strong.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    My therapist and I made one, but I always end up overeating around the same time of day (11 to 3 PM)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Can you try moving to less calorie-dense foods, or is that a risk to your recovery? Soups are really filling, and broth based soups tend to be low in calories.

It's a lot harder to go over your calorie target when you eat a lot of high fiber veggies and lean protein. I find eating at least a bit of protein with any between meal snacks helps keep my blood sugar more stable and reduces my "snacky" cravings. Switching to whole grains will also add fiber, and in many cases, a little bit if protein as well.

I think making sure you are getting adequate vitamins and minerals would also help curb your appetite. I try to eat at least one serving of produce from each of the colour groups daily. The theory is the colours are usually correlated with a particular set of phytonutrients, so a variety of colour will tend to mean a variety of nutrients. (google "eat the rainbow" for more details.)