Breakfast and lunch no cooking ?

Options
Romyarts2014
Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
I usually do one hot meal a day with my roomates for dinner. Usually in the morning I am on the run and skip breakfast. But I really want to get used to eating breakfast to give my self energy for the day. Lunch time I usually do a sandwich. It gets boreing. I do my groceries now once a week at the beggining of the week. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated *I am in college so no fancy salmon and stuff haha *

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, salad, wraps, bagels, cereal+milk, fruit+nut butter, smoothie, fruit+nuts+cheese?
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    basically what that comment says haha! I'm the same as you, I do one cooked meal in the evening. Breakfast is usually greek yoghurt with some cereal, chia seeds, frozen fruit (berries, bananas etc), some prunes, figs and sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder, melted dark chocolate, cinnamon or pb2 sprinkled on top :) this has over half of my rda of fiber, some protein and healthy fats !:)
    Lunch is usually large crackers (i cannot eat bread;() with cottage cheese, spices, tuna, avocado and tomatoes or if I'm running back to lectures, a salad pot with cottage cheese, precooked chicken or tuna and a sliced banana :) followed by some fruit or yoghurt.
    I'm in university too so I snack on healthy fruit and nut bars, dark chocolate, milk and trail mix throughout the day to keep my energy up!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mason Jar meals might be a good idea for you. There are tons of recipes and ideas out there for breakfast and lunch. You can prepare ahead of time and grab a jar to go.

Refrigerator Oatmeal
    Mason Jar Yogurt Parfaits

Mason Jar Salads
    Mason Jar Rice or Quinoa

http://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry/incredible-meals-you-can-make-in-a-mason-jar#2r51z5b
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    Mason Jar meals might be a good idea for you. There are tons of recipes and ideas out there for breakfast and lunch. You can prepare ahead of time and grab a jar to go.

Refrigerator Oatmeal
    Mason Jar Yogurt Parfaits

Mason Jar Salads
    Mason Jar Rice or Quinoa

http://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry/incredible-meals-you-can-make-in-a-mason-jar#2r51z5b

Ive never heard of this, but I will be starting grad school in the winter so I am going to check this out because if I don't have the time nor energy to cook now I know it will be extremely worse then.
  • MarkThompson1981
    MarkThompson1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and chocolate protein powder, perfect for breakfast on the go. Trader Joe's has great vanilla almond milk.
  • SaintTawny
    SaintTawny Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't count out salmon just because you're in college. The groceries stores in this college town once in a while put salmon on sale for $4.99/lb at the seafood counter. Spritz with lemon juice, sprinkle with old bay, and toss it on a hot pan for a few minutes. Delicious.

Anyway, no-cook options: I've been doing protein powder mixed with my morning coffee for a while now but I'm trying to lean away from that crutch. Instant oatmeal, a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, chia seeds in slightly diluted juice, apple slices or carrots/broccoli and hummus, etcetera.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Pre boiled eggs. If you care a bit more about fuelling rather than exciting. I boil a big batch of eggs and put it in the fridge. 1 whole and 1 egg white for brekky with a banana and protein shake and the same again for lunch with an apple and nuts and seeds. Hits the right macros.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    And it's v cheap..
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hormel precooked bacon at sams club 72 slices for $11. 4 slices 30 sec in micro on folded towel. 70 calories. Latte made with kroger carbmaster vanilla milk. 60 cal and 11 G protein.
    For lunch Canned tuna/chicken/salmon mixed with skim ricotta, nonfat greek yogurt and tsp of Dijon. Hummus or any puréed bean mixed with ricotta and yogurt also makes a great creamy dip that eats like a meal.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sandwiches don't get too boring for me if I get a different kind, or mix in wraps/burritos. Are you ok with making your lunches way in advance or having leftovers from dinner?

Tunafish sandwich. Get fancy with it by adding in dried cranberries, apple, herbs, cucumber, carrot, etc

BLT w/ cucumber (seriously, try it... it makes a BLT 20% cooler). Bacon can be cooked the night before.

Egg salad sandwich (again, you can find some exceptional recipes for this).

Deli sandwich (once in a while is ok right?).

Sweet potato and bean burritos. I sub out vegetable oil for olive oil and don't use cheese. I make a double batch and then keep them in the freezer and a few in the fridge, they reheat well and can be eaten cold.

Green salads with quinoa. Lots of variations on this, quinoa can be cooked the night before and refrigerated. Salad toppings that are awesome: nuts, cheeses, avacado, tomato, fresh or dried fruits, egg, beans, herbs... it can definitely be a whole meal, and if you have all the ingredients prepared ahead of time it's fast to assemble.

• sherri30170
    sherri30170 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work at a University. ;) However, I am an on-the-run type breakfast person. I love oatmeal (there is instant, frozen, with fruit). I also eat half a bagel, spread and usually a banana. Something I can toss together the night before.

Lunch - I love white tuna (in water/drained) mixed with a Tablespn of lite mayo and chopped golden delicious apple. Plus about 8 crackers (which is 2 servings of the kind I like). I also eat in our Dining Halls because I can have a unlimited salad bar, a meat with good veggies (green beans, squash, black eyed peas, broccoli) - yogurt/fruit for 'dessert'. I love the idea suggested of jar salads. You can always put in turkey for protein. I eat turkey sandwiches with honey mustard.

Snacks - I usually have a few good snacks too. There are some great 'bars' that are low cal/fat; cereal w/o the milk, easy fruit (bananas, grapes, apples).
  • PGierman
    Options
    I eat fruit for breakfast most of the time and salads for lunch. You can prepare your salad the night before and just carry a tiny container for the dressing. Also you can make extra dinner the night before and take left overs.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I work at a University. ;) However, I am an on-the-run type breakfast person. I love oatmeal (there is instant, frozen, with fruit). I also eat half a bagel, spread and usually a banana. Something I can toss together the night before.

Lunch - I love white tuna (in water/drained) mixed with a Tablespn of lite mayo and chopped golden delicious apple. Plus about 8 crackers (which is 2 servings of the kind I like). I also eat in our Dining Halls because I can have a unlimited salad bar, a meat with good veggies (green beans, squash, black eyed peas, broccoli) - yogurt/fruit for 'dessert'. I love the idea suggested of jar salads. You can always put in turkey for protein. I eat turkey sandwiches with honey mustard.

Snacks - I usually have a few good snacks too. There are some great 'bars' that are low cal/fat; cereal w/o the milk, easy fruit (bananas, grapes, apples).

I like your taste. B)

• helpimfalling
    Options
    For breakfast, I have a little container I got form Target that is meant to cook 1-2 eggs in the microwave in a minute. Very good on an english muffin and very quick. You can add meat or veggies into the container to cook along with the egg.

For lunch, I make tuna or egg salad sometimes. You could make those ahead if you want.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    YUM YUM YUM thanks for the tips guys !!! sounds so good. Love the tuna idea. I live in Europe so alot of the foods I was used to in America is different from here.
    Alot more natural ingredients.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, if you don't have time for cereals or a sit down, you can always go for a smoothie packed with all the fruits you like.
    In regards to lunch, be creative, as others have said don't just use bread there are plenty of other options out there. Lots of pastas and soups you can do in a cup if you can get some boiling water from somewhere, or make some pasta the night before and have it cold with chicken/tuna/bacon with a little mayo or something.
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, it does not get much easier than overnight oats. And without sacrificing proper nutrition.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    for breakfast instant oats microwaved, mix in 2/3 scoop protein powder, tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter, top with berries.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do the Fiber One brownies for breakfast, either with tea or G2. Easy to grab and go, and I don't worry about pigging out on them because that is a mistake you will only make once!
  • johjeff
    johjeff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof Coffee does it for me when I don't have time to cook. Just coffee, kerry gold unsalted butter, and coconut oil. I usually also add a half a scoop of vanilla protein powder.