Eating Fat

Options
Hey there

I always tend to be within my calorie allowance but over on the fat allowance. Should I be concerned? What are people's views on fat consumption?

:)

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Go ahead. :D
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of fat it is really. From natural sources such as avocados, nuts, dairy etc is great. The ketogenic diet is built on the high consumption of these sorts of fats. Although i no longer subscribe to that diet i saw benefits from the high consumption.

But if it is the other kind of fats just watch your intake :)
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of fat it is really.

You would also gain fat from eating too much healthy fat - so it does not necessarily matter for body composition.
  • MetalGearSeefy
    MetalGearSeefy Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options

You would also gain fat from eating too much healthy fat - so it does not necessarily matter for body composition.

No, eating too much fat will not make you gain fat. Eating too much calories will make you gain fat. Fats are important, they are a major energy source and also helps you absorb certain vitamins and nutrients.

If you're not meeting your daily fat targets, try adding a few spoons of olive/coconut oil to your food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can set your macros as you please, so - no.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i only watch my saturated fat, which i not worried if it goes a bit over, as i'd rather have a bit more saturated fat than go over on my sugar, i tend to use olive oils to get the mono-unsaturates to increase my good fats to compensate. Doc is always happy with my blood work. :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    I remember the fat-free era, and all that did was leave our nation fatter with unbalanced hormones. You need fat to survive, so remember: fat = good - so long as you govern the source.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I treat my fat as a minimum. Excess calories cause weight gain, not too much of one macro over the other.

However, I tend to make sure I'm getting my 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein first, then fats, followed by fiber, letting my carbs go wherever I like. Macros do aid in body comp but calories are the ruling factor in weight gain.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Very true.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't worry much about my fat. Some days I'm over and some days I'm under. I don't much concern myself with saturated, poly, mono, etc, though I do naturally eat a number of things that give me the mono and poly. The only thing I try to avoid is trans fat and as I don't often eat out or eat processed foods much, it's pretty easy to avoid. Pre "diet" I had cholesterol issues. Last blood tests my cholesterol was good,
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat a low fat, high fiber diet to help with my reflux disease. So, I try to watch my intake of fat/foods that bother my reflux pretty closely.

However even on my meager fat intake there is still room for salad dressing, and other high fat items (in small amounts)

If fatty food doesnt affect you like it does me, I would not worry about it.
  • YeehooiMama
    Options
    It's mostly cheese, lol. I'm a vegetarian so I often eat a fair amount of cheese!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my saturated fat low.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    As long as I have met my protein for the day, I don't pay any attention to my fat.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite nutritional sayings is fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does! As long as its from nuts etc all ok its the trans fats you need to worry about. Abd dont be scared of some saturated fats either
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's mostly cheese, lol. I'm a vegetarian so I often eat a fair amount of cheese!
    Cheese is good! !
  • YeehooiMama
    Options
    Haha SO GOOD
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Roony02 wrote: »
    One of my favourite nutritional sayings is fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does! As long as its from nuts etc all ok its the trans fats you need to worry about. Abd dont be scared of some saturated fats either

Except....this saying is wrong too.

My favorite saying is....A calorie surplus makes me fat.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how much you are over and what percent you have fat set at in your diary. In other words, it would likely only be a problem if you are nutritionally deficient elsewhere because of it.