Sick of my body.

Options
I'm sick of my love handles, sick of my fat abs and fat stomach. Thing is, I don't have the determination to put in all the hard work, because in the end my family gets mcdonald's or something and my healthy eating goes down the drain. And I just cannot say no to mcdonald's. I'm 144lb, 163cm. I am thin. But not thin enough to get my body fat percentage lower. I have to be about 8 stone to have a better stomach and abs. Which is what I am trying to do. Although by that point I'll probably look like a skeleton with my bone structure. I just feel like such a pig when I see my muffin top. It is not extremely bad, but it's not flat.. I've come far, lost about 30lb over a few years. But I'm not satisfied. I think if I could fix my posture, which I've tried before, it would make me feel a bit better but I always forget. I just need help. Including a photo.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you need to get in the gym and lift weights and eat more... including McDonalds

check this out: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Simply getting thinner/lighter and thinner/lighter does not give you the body that you want... you have to get in the gym and also change your mindset from how much you weigh to what your body fat percentage is..... if you're just getting lighter and lighter, your body fat percentage probably isn't changing much, hence the love handles and other flabby bits you don't like........ to improve your body fat percentage you need to build up your muscles (don't worry, you won't get bulky... does Staci in that article look bulky?... you'll firm up your body and lose fat).... also ignore scale weight because you may get heavier doing this (strong muscles and bones are heavier than weak ones) but you'll end up smaller, due to losing the stubborn fat. Once you're in a healthy weight range, weight does not really matter any more.... body fat percentage does. And you'll feel a lot fitter and more energetic for it, plus you'll have the spare calories to eat McDonalds in moderation. Did I mention that this method also involves eating more food?

There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" - read it, because it tells you how to achieve this.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

check this out: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Simply getting thinner/lighter and thinner/lighter does not give you the body that you want... you have to get in the gym and also change your mindset from how much you weigh to what your body fat percentage is..... if you're just getting lighter and lighter, your body fat percentage probably isn't changing much, hence the love handles and other flabby bits you don't like........ to improve your body fat percentage you need to build up your muscles (don't worry, you won't get bulky... does Staci in that article look bulky?... you'll firm up your body and lose fat).... also ignore scale weight because you may get heavier doing this (strong muscles and bones are heavier than weak ones) but you'll end up smaller, due to losing the stubborn fat. Once you're in a healthy weight range, weight does not really matter any more.... body fat percentage does. And you'll feel a lot fitter and more energetic for it, plus you'll have the spare calories to eat McDonalds in moderation. Did I mention that this method also involves eating more food?

There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" - read it, because it tells you how to achieve this.

Seems ideal. Will have to find a gym. Thanks.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Seems ideal. Will have to find a gym. Thanks.

Find a friend that is really fit and goes to the gym often, ask them if you can tag along and get the hang of what they do on a day to day basis. It's also fun going to the gym with somebody else! :)
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    bump
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    (...) Although by that point I'll probably look like a skeleton with my bone structure.

I don't understand: why do you say that? What makes you think that you will not lose fat around the waist and on the stomach until your reach 8 stones (or 112 lbs) ?

It is true that bodies don't shed the weight evenly. Some carry the weight around the waist; others in the face, chest and back; most women will carry it in the thighs and bums, etc.

I do carry most of my weight in my legs and arms. They are the last to slim down ! But, they DO get slimmer as a lose weight.

I'd be very surprised if your stomach did not reduce significantly if you lost, say, another 10 pounds. It's not that easy ... but doable !

Don't just give up because you think it is not "perfect". At some point between your current weight and your "ideal" weight, you will find yourself MUCH more comfortable with your body. Who knows, that comfortable zone is maybe just 5 pounds away.

Maybe if you gave yourself a reachable goal, it would be easier to resist the junk food temptation?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ... I don't have the determination to put in all the hard work....
    You must hate your fat more than you love junky food...and you must love your body more than you hate hard work.
    That's it.
    Our bodies remain the one area of life where most people can affect the most control. Our bodies reflect who we are inside, and obesity denotes certain traits just like a fit, healthy body projects vitality, discipline and resolve.
    Just decide for yourself.
    How bad do you want it?
    You've already come this far with your success, so take it all the way.
    Good Luck!
    <3

• Maddallynn
    Options
    Just so you know, McDonalds once a week or so is okay, its okay to have faults and weaknesses, we're human, we can only put ourselves through too much, try not to be so hard on yourself and you'll make it no problem. :)
    Set smaller goals so you don't feel so pressured and aren't so hard on yourself. You didn't put all the weight on in a single day, so you won't lose it in a day either.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    (...) Although by that point I'll probably look like a skeleton with my bone structure.

I don't understand: why do you say that? What makes you think that you will not lose fat around the waist and on the stomach until your reach 8 stones (or 112 lbs) ?

It is true that bodies don't shed the weight evenly. Some carry the weight around the waist; others in the face, chest and back; most women will carry it in the thighs and bums, etc.

I do carry most of my weight in my legs and arms. They are the last to slim down ! But, they DO get slimmer as a lose weight.

I'd be very surprised if your stomach did not reduce significantly if you lost, say, another 10 pounds. It's not that easy ... but doable !

Don't just give up because you think it is not "perfect". At some point between your current weight and your "ideal" weight, you will find yourself MUCH more comfortable with your body. Who knows, that comfortable zone is maybe just 5 pounds away.

Maybe if you gave yourself a reachable goal, it would be easier to resist the junk food temptation?

Well last time I checked I was 144lb; 10 stone 4. And it's still here :( I carry my weight on my stomach, abs and lovehandles. Everywhere else is good. I did ask if anyone went to the gym on facebook but no one replied.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    An instant fix to muffin tops: wear clothes that are your size

Muffin tops come from wearing pants that are too small. You will feel better when you look in the mirror and you're not squishing yourself into your clothes.
  • Isabelle_1929
    edited October 2014
    Options

Muffin tops come from wearing pants that are too small. You will feel better when you look in the mirror and you're not squishing yourself into your clothes.

This. Because only bony women can wear low-cut pants one or two sizes too small without any flesh spilling out of it.

Also, OP, 140 pounds for a 5'3 height is slightly overweight. This is why you have excess fat around the waist. it could be elsewhere, but trust me, you wouldn't be happier with fat legs, or arms, or face and chin, or buttocks.

In any case, you have two options: you either try to lose a little more (+ improving your posture and wear clothes that flatter you), or you decide that you are fine like this and accept yourself.

There is no third option I am afraid.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

This. Because only bony women can wear low-cut pants one or two sizes too small without any flesh spilling out of it.

Also, OP, 140 pounds for a 5'3 height is slightly overweight. This is why you have excess fat around the waist. it could be elsewhere, but trust me, you wouldn't be happier with fat legs, or arms, or face and chin, or buttocks.

In any case, you have two options: you either try to lose a little more (+ improving your posture and wear clothes that flatter you), or you decide that you are fine like this and accept yourself.

No, 140 lbs at 5'3" is still in the healthy BMI range. The top end, but still healthy. Best advice for OP is to get to strength training and eat at a slight deficit. Add in a couple of cardio sessions if she can to give her a bit of a buffer calorie-wise and get more fitness benefits.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

No, 140 lbs at 5'3" is still in the healthy BMI range. The top end, but still healthy. Best advice for OP is to get to strength training and eat at a slight deficit. Add in a couple of cardio sessions if she can to give her a bit of a buffer calorie-wise and get more fitness benefits.

I know ...
    But this whole thread is not about health, it's about her look (in OP's opinion). So yes, she can still be in a healthy range, but since she is at the top end of it, there is some room for her to lose weigh. That was my point.

Read her original post: she thinks that the only way to lose the little belly is to become "skeleton-thin". My answer was: no, it is not correct, as there is a happy medium somewhere between where she are right now, and being totally "bony".

So actually your advice is similar to mine: try to lose a little bit of weight, and try to improve your posture (to that end, exercise may help a lot).
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was to pick up weights, weigh all of my food, and I started running. I had belly/hip weight and lifting weights, running, and eating 1400 calories a day has helped.

ivz40m.jpg

I am not at my goal weight, but I am not carrying the weight where I once did.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    ... I don't have the determination to put in all the hard work....
    You must hate your fat more than you love junky food...and you must love your body more than you hate hard work.
    That's it.
    Our bodies remain the one area of life where most people can affect the most control. Our bodies reflect who we are inside, and obesity denotes certain traits just like a fit, healthy body projects vitality, discipline and resolve.
    Just decide for yourself.
    How bad do you want it?
    You've already come this far with your success, so take it all the way.
    Good Luck!
    <3
    I love this! It is so true. This WHOLE process is a mind set. You either want it bad enough or you don't. I am right there with you, sister. I have 14 lbs left to go after losing 50. I am not a fan of my belly, either. I am hoping that lifting heavy (I have to work up to that slowly because I have fibro) and continuing calorie deficit and cardio workouts will get me there. Good luck! You can DO this!