Day 1 - Not a success

Options
Today was my first day using MFP. Although I did track everything I ate, I ended up going way over my calories :( I did great up until about 4pm and then I was so hungry I ended up over eating. Hopefully this will get easier as I learn news tips !!

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Actually day 1 was a success. You learned alot about your eating habits, that you have to figure out what your best eating schedule is. You also had a wakeup call about how much you eat. See what you can learn on day 2.
  • rdfhunter
    rdfhunter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When starting just get used to tracking & eat normally. Make small changes over the next month to get where you want to be...
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    the only failure is not learning from your mistakes.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eat the exact way you normally do for a few days. ignore your calorie goal, which is only a guideline that may not apply to you. once you have a firm grasp on your normal daily eating habits, you can successfully cut 500 calories per day, which will be easier to maintain and should help you lose a pound a week. then go from there.

i cut my calories without doing this, and since i was determined not to eat more than my self-imposed daily calorie goal, i ended up very weak and dizzy - actually almost went to the emergency room, i felt that bad. after that, i added calories till i was losing weight gently and still felt okay.
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been looking over the various boards to find good, filling snack and meal options. Definitely making a trip to the grocery store tomorrow!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Actually day 1 was a success. You learned alot about your eating habits, that you have to figure out what your best eating schedule is. You also had a wakeup call about how much you eat. See what you can learn on day 2.

I completely agree with this. I think most of us probably had similar experiences -- I'd had no idea just how many calories I was eating each day. You'll get better and better at this!
  • ruby_p4
    Options
    You should have seen my first day!!! Eye opening for sure, I thought I was being so good too! lol I'm only a couple of weeks into this and I have learned small changes make a huge difference! Also try adding a food before you eat it so you will know the impact, I ate about 1/2 a cup of mixed roasted nuts and just about fell over when I put that in and saw the calories.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I recommend people don't try to hit the target on the first few days. Just log the food and let the urge to improve start to happen naturally. Within a short time, you'll have that first day under the calorie goal ... and then several days in a row ... and then some improvements on the scale.

You did fine. Welcome! We're glad you're here.
  • romachel1978
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear others had the same struggle. I thought it was only me!
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello have sent you a FR
    Catrina x
  • lexie62208
    lexie62208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know for me that it took a while to get into the habit of eating less, but I've been here a month now and it has become a LOT easier, so don't lose hope!
  • romachel1978
    Options
    Thank you Calliope for the links! I will read those tonight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Read the links Calliope posted. Especially the sexypants one. If you feel comfortable, open your diary, even for just a few days. We may be able to make some suggestions that may make it easier. We'd also ask you what your stats are (height, weight, goal weight, etc.)

Day one was a success. You're still here.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I only logged my food for the first two weeks and then got serious about limiting the calories. You are doing it right. Learn to be accurate in logging first. The rest will follow. Good luck!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's only a failure if no day 2 follows day 1.

It will get easier as the weeks go by. Just have patience and do your research.

+1. The only failure is giving up because you had a bad day yesterday. Consistent logging is always a success.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont worry. Tomorrow is another day.... and you could mess that one up too.....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 for the success. A good start is just learning to log consistently and accurately. As said its vital for you to understand and get an idea of what you are consuming.

Look at your friends diaries and see what they are eating.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just try to do better on day 2----it will get easier--I'm on week 3 and it has gotten easier. Sunday's are always my worst day. I am usually at home more and want to eat everything in site. I grab peanut butter, and fruit to help with my hunger. I did gain a pound this week because of Sunday, but I am back with it today.