Finishing 5k training too early?

Options
lizm223
lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm nearing the end of week 5 of an 8 week 5k training plan. I'd previously planned on signing up for a 5k within a week or so of the finish date, but due to scheduling issues I'm now planning on running my 5k about 3 1/2 weeks after I finish the plan. My question is, what do I do in those 3 1/2 weeks? I'm obviously going to keep running, but how much? Should I just repeat the last week a few times?

Replies

• SofiV79
    SofiV79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I would say just keep running as much as you feel happy with - who knows, maybe you will improve your finishing time!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want! Repeat the last week, start a 10K program, enjoy your accomplishment!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lizm223 wrote: »
    I'm obviously going to keep running, but how much? Should I just repeat the last week a few times?

Depends on your longer term objectives, but 5K doesn't need a taper, so I'd suggest just running 5K distances three or four times per week. Leave yourself about 72 hours before the race that are run free and you should be fine.

As above, you could go onto a 10K plan, but that'll take you back to run/ walk so you might find it a bit disruptive.

• sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i'd say just keep running 5k, maybe try and improve you speed if you want, chuck in a sprint every now and again or just run as normal and enjoy

congratulations by the way :)
  • lizm223
    lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all! I figured I'd throw in a few runs a week but since I'm a total newbie (literally had not run a mile ever before I started this) I didn't really know what was best. Thinking about maybe moving forward with a 10k after so maybe I'll get a headstart on that :-)