Off the wagon :(

Options
My biggest issue with my weightloss right now is that I eat my stress. I'm 21 years old, 283lbs (though with this last week of failure its probably gone up), and it seems no matter what I do I always fall into this state of depression where I give up on my diet for a week, stop exercising, and generally fill helpless about my body. Then suddenly, like tonight; I feel motivated again and decide that tomorrow will be the day I finally get back on track and stay there. This usually leads to some kind of binge eating on what I have deemed the "last day" of my fat life. But still two weeks late it happens again. I feel like the only way I'll be able to break out of this binge eating pattern is if I can finally break out of my depression and anxiety. Has anyone else gone through anything like this? Are there any good methods for motivating yourself when you first start to feel bad? And whats the best way to keep a small slip from becoming a week of binging?

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    1) i dont rely on motivation to get me anywhere. 2) i don't have an all-or-nothing attitude. 3) I don't restart on Mondays, or the next day, I just try to make the best choice @ the next opportunity.
  • gewent
    gewent Posts: 5
    Options
    I often find that when I'm feeling down a hot drink of tea without sugar (black with a little milk or green with no milk) and taking time to just enjoy the warmth of the drink really helps. By only focusing on a small simple task it can help you to stop thinking about other problems and you won't feel the need to binge as much. Just take every moment as it comes ^_^. You need to make time to just chill, it really helps.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If I slip up at breakfast, I keep to what I planned to eat for lunch and dinner. Just because you have one slip up, does not mean you have failed the entire day. The more you punish yourself for feeling that way, the more you are going to binge. It's a vicious circle and it will not stop until you understand that it's okay to slip up once in awhile.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Malorie, first off *BIG HUGS* Yes, I have been there before! And I think a lot of us have! One thing that I honestly think may help you, and I know has truly helped me more than anything, is I realized, I don't diet. Diets do NOT work for ME. They never have, and they never WILL. They might for some people, but not for me. I had to change my lifestyle.

And with that, I had to find something that *I* could live with, and it had to be reasonable. I had to find something where I could eat food- REAL food. Meaning, meat, veggies, fruits, carbs, and yes, chocolate, and fast food, too! I'm a real person. I knew if I went on some quick diet where I just ate salads or drank shakes, yeah, I might lose 30 pounds *well, if PCOS hadn't hindered me- but in theory* but I'd just gain it back when I began to actually eat food.

So, what I did, was take a look at what I ate realistically. As a woman with PCOS, the most important thing for me to do, is keep my daily carbohydrate check in count to lose weight. So, what I do, is plan what I want around that. There is absolutely NOTHING I can't or DON'T have. I just know the proper portions to have, and I stick to them. I drink enough water to where I'm going to end up with a hump like a camel (that I've always done, though- I swear there's something wrong with me, because I crave tap water).

But one thing that I do encourage you to do, change the way you're looking at food, and all of this completely. It's not a diet. It's changing your lifestyle. You're looking to make healthier choices. You can certainly incorporate some of the things you enjoy into meals, or even have them as meals! If you're in doubt about something, or just want to see what something might be, "pre-plan" so to speak. It can give you an idea of what a day might look like, if you're wanting for instance, to cook breakfast at home, maybe have pizza for lunch, have some fruit for a snack, then have a healthy dinner- it will tell you exactly how to prepare, and what your calories, ect are for the day.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up. You're human. We all make mistakes. My thing used to be, when I was stressed I would smoke. I'd smoke a pack of cigarettes in the blink of an eye. I felt SO much guilt over that. Then, it finally hit me one day- I'm in control. I can do this. After smoking for 23 years, I quit. I NEVER, ever thought I would. I really thought I'd go to my grave with a pack of Marlboro Lights Menthols beside of me. But I've been smoke free for a little over two months now.

When things get overwhelming, remember, I can do this, if just for this hour. Focus on getting through the hour. Whatever it is that you need to do to distract yourself- taking a walk, calling a friend, watching a television program, sending an email, taking a relaxing bath, do something positive to help you cope with the stress. Then, remember, just for today. I can do this, just for today. Once you've made it through the hour, work on the day. Don't worry about how long you've got to go- don't think about weeks, months, years- take it hour by hour, day by day.

You can do this! I believe in you! <3
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed was that whenever I tried losing weight in the past, I would make it a solid two weeks before falling off the wagon. It's hard to form new habits, and you really need to push yourself through the first 3 or 4 weeks until you start to WANT to do exercise and eat better. When you're feeling discouraged, just try to talk yourself into keeping at it for just a couple more weeks. Don't push yourself too hard! You'll just burn yourself out

If it helps you any, try to fall into it a little slower. Maybe don't cut out too many calories too fast, or focus on just getting moving a little each day. Try to form a new habit with this, and you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish. I started around your weight exactly (282 - though my highest was like 296) 90 days ago, and am currently down to 250. I haven't cut anything out food-wise that I didn't eat when I started this, but I've noticed that my cravings and emotional eating has drastically reduced. I would eat chocolate every day, and now I eat it once every couple weeks as a treat.

Another thing that has helped me is setting mini-goals. I don't think about my "ideal" weight or how much weight I still have to lose. Because even if you lose 1 pound, it's a pound you don't have anymore. Every day is a new day, and good luck!
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and eating disordered behaviours are an unpleasant combo, I feel you. I come from the other end of the spectrum (restricting, overcompensation with exercise, and purging) but I have the utmost empathy for you. Sometimes eating becomes more than just a day-to-day survival thing and can transform into a horrible, guilt-laden battle. Thankfully you have the power to change your perceptions! Good on you for taking control.
    My best "do it today" suggestion is to not keep bingable treats in the house until you have settled into a healthier day-to-day eating habits regime. Keep fat free cool whip in the freezer instead of ice cream (hey it's not ideal but you can eat the whole tub in one sitting and it's less calories than a big bowl of ice cream). Pre-cut carrot and celery sticks at the start of the week so when you need to mindlessly snack, there's a big container of veggies instead of cookies or chips. Once you get used to what portion sizes are actually appropriate, then you can reintroduce the occasional treat. I like to pre-ration snacks as well, in snack-sized Ziplock bags and keep the main bag in a weird cupboard so no grabbing and mindlessly snacking on countless handfulls can occur.
    Most honestly, the best advice I can give you is to talk to your doctor or a councillor. If you have diagnosable depression, then medication or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy might be the best way to tackle the underlying issues which may have lead to your weight problem. It's hard, but if you're seeking help from strangers on the internet, you know in your heart that you should be talking to someone.
    Good luck and best wishes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself.
    Stress does not go away. We can learn to manage it to some extent.
    For example: get enough sleep, do some exercise like walking, meditate, do yoga, learn breathing techniques. Therapy helps a lot.
    Also, set up your environment so that it supports you. Surround yourself with helpful tools in the kitchen for example.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel the same way you do so I don't have much advice. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE thingofstuff's reply.

Also, this is great:
    When things get overwhelming, remember, I can do this, if just for this hour. Focus on getting through the hour. Whatever it is that you need to do to distract yourself- taking a walk, calling a friend, watching a television program, sending an email, taking a relaxing bath, do something positive to help you cope with the stress. Then, remember, just for today. I can do this, just for today. Once you've made it through the hour, work on the day. Don't worry about how long you've got to go- don't think about weeks, months, years- take it hour by hour, day by day.

BUMP for more advice!