Strength Training for Extreme Weight Loss

Options
So I've just started working out. I have a lot of weight to lose over 100+ pounds. I'm not your average obese person. I have a really high endurance for a fat person but I lack motivation. However due to the recent buffoonery (read my new blog post) I have been working really hard. I know that I will have loose skin but I'm wondering when can I start strength training. I know that body weight exercises are good for me at this point but I do calisthenics for my warm up before cardio. 100 jumping jacks, donkey kicks, modified push ups, calf raises in 5 sets of 25. I can usually get 50 squats in good form. I don't have any "usable" weights at the moment cause I can't afford them or a gym pass. My fam has the most random weights. 1 lb weights and one 15 pound weight! If there are any exercises that I could maybe utilize the one 15 lb weight that would be good! I'm down 15 pounds and I was noticing that i'm getting "bat wings". I'd like to start toning as soon as possible! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You could have started strength training 100 pounds ago.

Disabuse yourself of the concept of toning, it doesn't mean anything. Figure out what weights you have available, and what you can make it you won't be going to a gym. Make what you need, and use them. I have an ex-colleague that would take old duffels, reinforce them with whatever rubber and duct tape he had on hand... fill them with sand, rocks, dirt, and use them until they disintegrated. Then he'd sweep them up, and put it all into the next duffel.

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are great. And if you have weight to lose, they'll be even better. Just those (and a squared-away diet) will do you for a good long time.

When/if you do want to transition over to freeweights, I'd suggest shopping around for dumbells on Craigslist. Don't ever buy them new-- you'll get them for a fraction of the cost used, and they're just as heavy. If you really want to save money, just grab a set of the adjustable sort with the screw-ends (with maybe 100 pounds worth of plates).

Scooby's site will help you set up a weights routine you can do with just dumbells:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

That'll let you see if you enjoy weight training without a big investment or a gym membership.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    for the 15 lb weight do squats while holding the weight between your legs, split leg squats, overhead tricep extensions, bicep curls one arm at a time, overhead presses 1 arm at a time, bent over rows 1 arm at a time, lunges while holding weight... all of these plus some pushups will make a nice full body workout!