Options
SwashBlogger
SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
Did/will you get a flu shot this year? Why or why not

Replies

• teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes, i am getting one this week...I work in a hospital so I will come into contact with it for sure this season, and the flu sucks. i also get the pneumonia shot every 5 years,too.
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    I get a flu shot every year. I almost died in 2011 from pneumonia with complications so I take every precaution available. One of my biggest goals is to stay out of hospitals. :p
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Of course, first, because I spend my days dealing with sick people and don't want to become one of them; and second, because I have to, job requirement.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Busiest quarter for me, so I can't afford to be laid up. I had the flu really bad years ago. Never again.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't want to.
  • Jenne50
    Jenne50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Got it already. Not because I am worried about getting sick, but because I don't want to make those around me sick - like my elderly father or my very young grandchildren.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Will I get it? Already did.

Why? It's the right thing to do, not only for me and my family, but for society as a whole.

We have a 2-week old daughter who can't be innoculated yet due to her age, so my wife, our son, and myself all have gotten our jabs to protect her. We have a duty as humans to protect those who are weaker. When it comes to vaccine-preventable illnesses, those of us who can get an immunization should be doing our part to protect those who cannot.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Yes, i am getting one this week...I work in a hospital so I will come into contact with it for sure this season, and the flu sucks. i also get the pneumonia shot every 5 years,too.

I got mine already. I work in a hospital and not only will it be required soon, but doing so also lowers my insurance premium

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    as an immunocompromised type, thank you tincanonastring! even before transplant, nothing steamed me like the antivaxxers. (and got my flu shot, too).
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yes, work made it mandatory since last year not enough of us got it to get the federal credit on it. Otherwise I am against getting shots that repeat two out of the three strands it did the year before. Plus it only works if you stay away from sick people since the flu changes every year and the strand that is a problem is not the one form 2012 and lowers your immunity for about two weeks. Since I can't work in a bubble I have a higher chances of getting something else while my body recovers from the shot.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    as an immunocompromised type, thank you tincanonastring! even before transplant, nothing steamed me like the antivaxxers. (and got my flu shot, too).

Don't even get me started. I literally fear for my daughter's life because of those pro-disease dirtbags.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    got mine 2 weeks ago today.........I happened to run into a man last year who almost died from the flu at a 24 hour ememrcency clinic, I took a friend who had a major ear infection

this man was there with his son who was so sick with the flu, they had to transfer him to a hospital........really scarry situation

soooo.......yes, get the flu shot, you wont be sorry
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I got mine a last Wednesday, my twinadoes got theirs the previous Thursday. They're free, and we've been doing it forever - no flu for anyone, so I'll just keep doing it. I don't have a really strong feeling about it. If you want to do it, do it - if you don't, and you get sick, stay away from me! My boyfriend doesn't get them...he just doesn't think there's a real compelling case for them.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Got mine this weekend! I normally don't get one but I got it this year because a) I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks and I don't want to pick it up there and b) me and my husband always seem to get the flu right before our Virgin Island vacation every year and we don't want to do that this year.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No, because the flu vaccine only protects you from the 3 types of flu that scientists GUESS (albeit an educated guess) will be prevalent this year. Also, waiting on long-term studies on the pros/cons of the flu vaccine... AND I hate needles. I see no reason to get jabbed when there's no guarantee it'll actually keep me from getting the flu (if scientists guessed wrong).

However if I DO get sick, I stay home so as not to infect others. Haven't had the flu since I got out of the military 14 years ago. When in the military, I was required to have the flu shot, but managed to get the flu anyway. Twice.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I will be getting mine this year: I attend a lot of on-site meetings at various hospitals/care homes for work and am not interested in catching anything or re-distributing anything to patients while on-site.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes I did get the flu shot. Even though I work in a clinic with state regulations stating if employees do not get the flu shot they have to wear a mask I would get the flu shot anyways. One year I did not get the flu shot, this was when I worked elsewhere, and I ended up getting the flu. I do not want to go through that again!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I haven't gotten one in over 5 years, and I haven't gotten the flu in over 10 years.

Getting the flu shot will not prevent you from getting the flu and will not prevent you from spreading the flu. All it will do is help you from getting killed if you get one of the strains of the flu the vaccine was created for.

My brother used to get the flu shot every year, and every time he got it, he ended up getting the flu.

Me? I have an incredible immune system. I can, and have, worked in an office where every single person got sick. Didn't even phase my body.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I work with 3-4 year olds. Some of them are medically fragile. All of them seem to ooze from every oriface of their little bodies at times! I get mine to protect me and them!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I always get a flu shot. My parents' next-door neighbor died from flu when she was in her early 50's! It's no joke.