Running question: Does form and technique really matter?

Options
Ive read for the past few days the way to "properly" run is to strike midfoot to the ball of your foot and just touch briefly with your heel, along with never keeping your legs totally straight, and making sure to bring your foot up past the height of your knee every step.

As someone looking to start running with a C25K and naturally heel strikes, does this all hold true? or should I just run how im comfortable?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Just run in whatever form keeps you comfortable. If you start getting more "into" it and trying to go faster you can start thinking about that sort of thing. Until then though, just go out and run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree--just go out and run. If you start having a problem, you can work on changing your form or breathing or whatever. But I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with bringing your foot up that high. My favorite advice when I was a new runner was to pretend that you are running alongside a shoulder-height hedge, and that someone on the other side of the hedge is watching you. They should not see your head bobbing up and down, but going relatively straight. I was also told to try and concentrate on a mid-foot strike with shorter strides in the beginning and that worked really well for me. Do what works but keep in mind that when you do try and change your form you'll be working to unlearn a lot of muscle memory.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Feet higher than the knees? Somebody is leading you wrong, I'm sure. Not that I am an expert on running, but that sounds terribly unnatural. The only people I could imagine needing to raise their feet that high during their stride would be Olympic sprinters, but looking at imagery of Olympic sprinters it looks like not even they raise their feet that high.

sprinters1.jpg

Nesta+Carter+14th+IAAF+World+Athletics+Championships+8LZvn6BXb2hx.jpg

You might just be getting advice from an asshat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sciullo779 wrote: »
    and making sure to bring your foot up past the height of your knee every step.

i am training for a 10k at the moment and i'm pretty sure my foot has NEVER come up that high...

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Just run in whatever form keeps you comfortable. If you start getting more "into" it and trying to go faster you can start thinking about that sort of thing. Until then though, just go out and run.

Agreed.

The details do matter, but less so until you are set with the basics.
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And clearly I don't know how to use hyperlinks. Le sigh.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons on this. Certainly improving my running technique and form has been a huge part of my fitness journey - running is more enjoyable for me, with a smoother feel, I am faster, and less injury prone. But it's trickly to go making changes to your mechanics without expert supervision - you can easily make things worse by thinking mechanical thoughts while you run and forcing your body into unfamiliar movements.
    Rather than specifically trying to change your mechanics, there are some good drills and exercises you can do that will "naturally" help your technique. One of the best is 100 ups - it's very simple, it's definitely not going to hurt you, and it can help you get the feel of improved form. http://100up.info/the-100-up-running-technique-2
    Beyond these kind of simple things, I wouldn't do too much monkeying around with your mechanics without input/supervision from a good coach.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sciullo779 wrote: »
    .... or should I just run how im comfortable?

Run how you're comfortable. I find a short, rapid, pace works best for me as it's sustainable for a long time.

It sounds like you were given advice on sprinting, which isn't sustainable.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would Google chi running & pose running. While I believe that "proper" running form can prevent a lot of injuries, I also know that from experience, people can run with terrible "form" and have no problems.
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes! Chi running! I second that suggestion, as well!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    The only potential problem with the "just do it and not worry about form" suggestion is that you could get used to running with bad form and become injured. I had a stress fracture in my left knee (that hurt like he**, I will add) from overstriding which was due to heel striking. I had to work really hard to change my stride/form. Just my $.02.
  • sciullo779
    sciullo779 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Basically this is what Im talking about.
    youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The only potential problem with the "just do it and not worry about form" suggestion is that you could get used to running with bad form and become injured.

Whilst in principle I'd agree, in practice someone starting a C25K plan will take some time to find their form. At that point it's worth starting to do something about whether it's right or not.

Give someone on week one of C25K too much to think about, they'll never make it into week two.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Last year my daughter was a leg straight out in front of her runner because no ever fixed her form. She spent 10 weeks in a boot with a severe achilles tendon problem. This year the trainer at school spent weeks working with her on the form and pushing the concept of the majority of her body being over her foot as it touches the ground. He also stressed shorter more rapid strides for everything but her last 200 meters (she's a XC runner). Fingers crossed no issues with the achilles anymore and she just PR'd her 5K this weekend after missing the first 2 meets this year while in PT because the tendon issue had started again.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how is the akward runners video not up here yet???

because yes there are ways to be run more efficiently and improve speed and distance- and very importantly: reduce injury.

But- most of those things can be sorted out after you get some actual miles under your belt, all the form in the world won't help you if you don't have the lung capacity or strength to run a mile in the first place.

I wouldn't over think it when you're just getting started- as there is a fair bit of "just go do it" that should happen- but at some point you can stop and say- how can I be doing this better.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    unless you are experiencing discomfort in your feet, ankles, knees or lower back, i wouldn't bother to mess with your natural mechanics
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy yourself, don't overthink it! After you learn to enjoy it, you can tinker with your form and see what works for you based on your goals.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I started out walking which changed to jogging which changed to running. You just got to not over do it. Have fun with it and make sure you stretch before and after.

29509743.png