Treadmills

Options
I would love to purchase a treadmill for home, but am not looking to spent $1000. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality product but not super expensive?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is a superb product called the road outside your home. It comes at a bargain price of $0 and works so much better than a treadmill.

(please excuse the tongue in cheek)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Kind of depends on the features you want. If you just want it for walking, many brands up to $500 would be fine. If you're looking to run, you'll want a full size deck (60 inches long) and a top speed of 10 mph or 12 mph. Pretty much all treadmill will incline (uphill) 12% or 15% and some will decline (downhill) 3%. Generally, higher speed ratings will have a stronger motor and are built sturdier, so they will stand up better to the pounding of running, but you will be paying close the $1000 or more. Try shopping for the features you want online and in person. Dick's Sporting Goods often have good sales and Sears's Outlet stores have some good bargains. You can also look on Craigslist for someone looking to unload one. I got a decent ProForm for $700 that way.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    many treadmills become high priced clothes hangers in the home.....I would check Craigslist or Ebay for one.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    craigslist in your area the best time to buy a treadmill off of craigslist is March through June because people that get them for Christmas or for that goal of losing weight for the new year are all selling theirs then and you can get many good kinds pretty cheap

people do not like keep the reminder

sometimes freecycle will have a decent one
    I have also seen them on the rummage sale groups on Facebook
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    definitely check out ebay.. I got mine locally for £35/$60. Its a 'Life Fitness' tredmill, had been used twice and works an absolute treat. Its stable, pretty quiet and is plenty fast enough for me, its also folds away if I do need the space. Maybe try a second hand one.. if you use it regularly for say 3 months, think about upgrading if you think there is benefit? For me, my cheapo one does the trick, and whilst I do intend to upgrade at some point in the future, there are plenty of other things I need to use my money for first.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your local freecyle network, exercise equipment like this come up all the time

if you don't already you might want to try running outside before investing in one of these, it's much more fun and free
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Road is free. Well, you pay taxes for it, but it's free to use. Or buy one at the beginning of February off Craigslist from the hordes of people that invest in these dumb machines and never use them.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cheap treadmills have some problems that are likely to make them unsatisfactory. I have known of people to have good experiences buying a quality treadill used, but be prepared to spend some on maintenance/upkeep/repair. Stay away from the cheap department store treadmills.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the NordicTrack T6.1 Treadmill. I've had it since January and I'm very, very happy with it. It does everything I want and some. I use it every day, 3 times a day. It goes up to a 10 incline and 10 speed. Has preset workouts for speed, incline and calories. I love it.
    I'm a walker not a runner and it works great! Haven't had an issue with it at all.

Treadmill + Fitbit has been the best investment in my fitness journey. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Link to treadmill: http://www.sears.com/nordictrack-t6.1-treadmill/p-00624995000P
  • PaminTewksbury
    PaminTewksbury Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at getting one used that I'll be checking out this week as well. Good luck with your search.

I realize the road is free and more fun but sometimes you just can't do that. I have a small child that I'm not willing to leave alone at home for 30 mins or more while I get my run in. I don't know your situation but I'm guessing that you have your own reasons why the road may not be the best option for you as well.
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I co-sign on the craigslist suggestion. I got a treadmill, albeit older yet still totally functional, one on craigslist. The cost? I traded our kinect that we didn't use, and that was it! Ultimately, as long as it is electric and has adjustable speeds/inclines (my treadmill has manual incline capabilities), it will do the job. And yes, the road is great and all, but as someone who lives in New England, I know that sometimes the idea of going outside at all is far from appealing, let alone go running in sub zero, blizzard conditions. :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You don't look too heavy so you could get away with something cheaper if you want to run on it. If you're looking for something new, I wouldn't even consider anything under $500.

I bought the NordicTrack Commercial 1750 over 2 years ago and it still runs great and has loads of options, but it's also $1500+.
    http://www.nordictrack.com/fitness/en/NordicTrack/Treadmills/commercial-1750-1
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I realize the road is free and more fun but sometimes you just can't do that. I have a small child that I'm not willing to leave alone at home for 30 mins or more while I get my run in. I don't know your situation but I'm guessing that you have your own reasons why the road may not be the best option for you as well.

I agree with this. I don't like the outside vs. treadmill debate because I find it pointless. Others don't know the situation or the reasons behind the want.

I've adopted my husband's saying, "embrace the power of and". I do the treadmill during the day and walk with him outside in the evenings. Our oldest is finally old enough that she can watch her brother while we go out and walk.
    Last year we pulled them in the wagon and it was frustrating sometimes. The fussing and whining really got under my skin. So I'm very happy she is old enough and responsible enough to watch him and call us if any problems arise.

Also the weather is changing. It's getting darker earlier and it's getting cooler. Once DST kicks in it gets dark at 5pm. DH doesn't get off work till 5:30 and gets home at 6 pm. I don't like walking in the dark and there is the added stress of leaving my kids home alone while it's dark outside.

Granted, these are just *my* reasons but I'm throwing this out there to show some of the reasons for a treadmill.
    devangel.gif

• Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Yeah. There is a superb product called the road outside your home. It comes at a bargain price of $0 and works so much better than a treadmill.

You're a moron.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Got a treadmill a few years back for the price of "if you'll get it out of my house, you can have it." Sometimes it pays to have bribeable friends and a pickup truck.

They are a little like pianos though. They are big, heavy and a pain to move. If you are patient, and check craigslist, I'm sure you can get a great deal.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Mborroto25 wrote: »

You're a moron.
    Still, that's pretty spot-on accurate. Running outside is superior to a treadmill in pretty much every way and it will never break.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Mborroto25 wrote: »

You're a moron.
    Still, that's pretty spot-on accurate. Running outside is superior to a treadmill in pretty much every way and it will never break.

Yeah, it may have been a little rude, although he did apologize for that, so it's probably fair to give him a pass, but in terms of value, you can't do much better than a pair of running shoes and a small set of free weights. Lot's of people need and love the gym, I'm one of them, but you can get some serious results for less than it'd cost you to just use the gym from now till summer.