Am I running really slowly?

Options
2»

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Don't worry, it takes me 17 minutes to run a mile. Just remember that motivation poster 'no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch' :-)
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Anyone who knows anything about running knows that we all have different pace, influenced by various factors. Who cares what the guy thinks?

I am almost like you. Used to run at 9min/mile for about 10 miles but after some injuries and moving away, I am now at 12++min/mile and only for 4 miles. But I am not giving up anyway. And already I can feel myself improving.

Sure, it's disheartening but don't worry about it. You will be right back to your optimum pace in no time. So don't give up.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    catpea33 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm fairly new to running (or rather, I've only just got back into it) and I run about 12 minutes/mile for my speed. I can run faster but can't maintain a faster speed for any great distance because my endurance isn't there. In the past when I was running fairly regularly but was still relatively new (<6 months), I was running at about 10 minutes/mile but, again, it wasn't something I could maintain for very long. A guy today told me that I am 'super slow' and so now I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I mean, I love running and will continue regardless but it's definitely dented my self-confidence a little. Does anyone else run this slowly? Did you get faster?

I guess I should mention as well that I used to be a competitive swimmer and middle distances were more of my thing. I wasn't much of a sprinter. Do you think that would translate into running too, i.e. I'd be better at the longer distances where you get to plod a little more?

Cat

I only run "fast" when I race. In my daily training, I run about 2.5min slower than my 5K pace, and about 1min slower than my marathon pace. When I first started out, everything was at the same pace, and I got nowhere for almost a year (in constant pain, lots of recovery days, and frustration with race results) until I slowed down. My aerobic capacity improved, I was able to run longer, I was recovering faster, and most importantly, I was able to start running more. So... it's ok :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile isn't a bad pace for just getting back into it, and as you run more your speed will increase. It all depends on what your goals/distances are, too (if you're always running long distances do you really need to increase your pace by much?). There are things you can do to help your pace, like speed intervals. I'm currently training for a half marathon and run fairly slow for my long runs--now that I'm tapering back down on distance I've noticed that I've cut ~30 seconds off my normal pace for shorter distances (4 miles or fewer).
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be doing 12 minute miles! You're a rockstar. Don't worry about him.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't believe someone would say that! Who cares what your pace is, just get out there and enjoy yourself.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The guy is full of cr*p. You're out there running for you, not for him.
    Prisoner.png
  • Billtrek613
    Options
    You are still faster than anybody sitting on the couch watching TV. :) Keep it up!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I can run faster but can't maintain a faster speed for any great distance because my endurance isn't there.

Well, there you go. Keep it slower and build up your endurance. The longer you've been running and the more miles you run per week, the better your endurance will be. Just be patient and do it correctly.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you. I like running, but I'm more of a sprinter than a distance runner. I "can" run at 8 min mile speed, but not for long. If I'm running at a consistent pace for distance, I run a 12 min mile. My "average" time (taking into account sprinting, walking, and solid runs) for a 5K is 11 min/mile. If you love it, just do it. Time isn't important and you will get faster the more you do it (seriously, I used to run a 15 minute mile - I could walk it faster than I could run it somehow).
  • sopranomama
    sopranomama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on getting back into running! :)

Second, run at your own pace, honey, and don't listen to that guy for one second! I started running last August, and back then I was struggling to run in thirty-second intervals at a 15:00/mile pace. I was really self-conscious about my speed, but I figured I had to start somewhere, and if I kept working at it I'd eventually be able to run faster and farther. Sure enough, as I trained for longer intervals and distances, the speed sort of naturally started to come along. Fast forward 14 months - last week, I ran five miles and averaged about 10:48/mile. Are other people faster than me? For sure! But I'm not running for them, I'm running for me, and I'm thrilled to death with the progress I've made. Keep at it, and you'll make progress too.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginning runner, it's normal that your pace is a little slower - nothing wrong with that. Keep it up and you will eventually see improvements... takes time - it won't happen overnight =) You will eventually find the pace that works for you - which is what's important. I keep trying to beat my PB - but seems like 6min/km is "my" pace. I'd love to run like a gazelle, it's just not in my cards =)
    -
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    When I was biking this weekend along a trail where there is a lot of art work, there was a mural with a person jogging that said "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch".

It made me think of your question. And everyone here is right, who cares what anyone thinks. Stick with it, you will improve! I've just been running 3 months and I'm not fast either. :wink:
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not only is that a perfectly respectable speed for a beginner, even pro runners suggest that you run slower than you are able most runs, because it builds your endurance, which actually can improve your speed in the long run. Keep on truckin'!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just ignore that idiot. A 12 m/m pace is perfect pace for for beginner endurance runs. Your pace will naturally increase as your fitness improves. Just run the speed you're comfortable with.

Keep in mind, to gain endurance benefits from your runs, you should be able to carry a conversation at that pace. If not, then you're going too fast.
  • abern921
    abern921 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some people need to mind their own business. I run between an 11:30-12 mm. I'm not fast but I get out there and run and that's all that matters. You just do what you've been doing! :smile:
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm fairly new to running (or rather, I've only just got back into it) and I run about 12 minutes/mile for my speed. I can run faster but can't maintain a faster speed for any great distance because my endurance isn't there. In the past when I was running fairly regularly but was still relatively new (<6 months), I was running at about 10 minutes/mile but, again, it wasn't something I could maintain for very long. A guy today told me that I am 'super slow' and so now I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I mean, I love running and will continue regardless but it's definitely dented my self-confidence a little. Does anyone else run this slowly? Did you get faster?

I guess I should mention as well that I used to be a competitive swimmer and middle distances were more of my thing. I wasn't much of a sprinter. Do you think that would translate into running too, i.e. I'd be better at the longer distances where you get to plod a little more?

Cat

You run faster then me.. I'm currently doing 14-15 min/miles. You are doing awesome!
  • Twinkie2530
    Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I ran my first mile tonight in 10:11 seconds. It may be slow to other people but it was fast to me! I felt super fit after I did it too! Don't let some jerk ruin your stride! You are doing amazing. :)