"trigger" foods

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I've seen this mentioned a few times and thought it might make for a good conversation.

I'm going to start out very general and see where this goes:
Do you believe in the idea of trigger foods? i.e. the notion that some foods, even in small quantities, can and do trigger binges? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 servings more than you planned, I'm talking about everything within arm's reach.

If you do, is it mental thing? Physical? other?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have trigger foods that I'm not always able to handle well. For me, it's stuff that a lot of people may call "junk" and it can be salty or sweet, but having it in the house doesn't always go well.

That said, I've been able to introduce these things back into my life by cutting them out for a while and then slowly reintroducing them into my diet. I started by only buying a single serving out and not having a whole container in the house (such as going out for gelato with friends and getting one small serving). After learning correct portion control and learning to be satisfied with a single serving, I was able to have them in the house.

I find my bigger problem is that I mindlessly eat, and I'll do that with any kinds of food; I'll just rack up the calories faster when I have snacky foods in the house. This past week I've had some mini binges, and I really need to buckle down and be more mindful of my eating. But, that really has nothing to do with the foods themselves, it's more of a mental problem.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I think it's largely individual with a variety of different factors: Stress, social setting, connecting food to comfort and happiness, etc. I don't have any trigger foods. I have control over my eating habits.

If I want to eat a food I'll eat it, if not then I won't - so long as it fits into my macro/calorie goals.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In the context you're describing I don't have any trigger foods. Perhaps people with binge eating disorders might.

That being said I do think MANY people have issues moderating their consumption of certain hyper-palatable foods. The way you're positioning your post this wouldn't be a "trigger" food, but I think most people would consider them "trigger" foods as far as they are concerned.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a food that I will almost loose all control over myself. I have to utilize all restraint possible to not eat more than two slices of pizza, which fails at times. It's one of the foods that I'm trying to bring back into my diet slowly because I know it's a food that is a huge weakness for me.
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    totally have trigger foods, peanut butter, chocolate, ice cream anything decandent really I have one serving and I want another, and another, lets just say I only buy small tubs off ice cream not the 2l ones because I WILL eat it all by day's end :neutral_face:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe there are trigger foods. I don't know if the trigger is mental or physical, but kicking any bad habit or addiction comes down to mental dedication. Whatever is causing the craving, no matter how intense the want or need, you have to mentally overcome it.
  • MissDaisyHCG
    MissDaisyHCG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cereal, I can't just have one serving...sometimes I won't stop until the box is finished. I have stopped eating it all together.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that foods I have an intolerance to (anything containing milk and soy) can make me crave more. If I'm careful and stay away from most pacakged stuff I have no problems with cravings or binge eating. (It does mean I have to bake my own breads and cookies, but that's not really a bad thing!)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    In the context you're describing I don't have any trigger foods. Perhaps people with binge eating disorders might.

That being said I do think MANY people have issues moderating their consumption of certain hyper-palatable foods. The way you're positioning your post this wouldn't be a "trigger" food, but I think most people would consider them "trigger" foods as far as they are concerned.

Can you elaborate? It sounds like you're trying to draw a line between trigger foods and lack of will power to moderate?

Or am I totally misunderstanding?
  • trinitypinecone
    trinitypinecone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do believe there are trigger foods and think it is a physical thing that can then become a psychological thing too. For me it is wheat and suspect an allergy as wheat is a grass and I am so allergic to grasses. Learning about the dramatic changes made in wheat protiens in the last century as a byproduct of breeding for the mega food industry (short plants with heavy seed heads, disease resistance etc.) and the huge increase in people with gluten sensitivities supports this hypothesis. Fact is, bread would trigger major binges but gluten free bread does not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do believe there are trigger foods and think it is a physical thing that can then become a psychological thing too. For me it is wheat and suspect an allergy as wheat is a grass and I am so allergic to grasses. Learning about the dramatic changes made in wheat protiens in the last century as a byproduct of breeding for the mega food industry (short plants with heavy seed heads, disease resistance etc.) and the huge increase in people with gluten sensitivities supports this hypothesis. Fact is, bread would trigger major binges but gluten free bread does not.

If you were allergic to wheat, you would not likely overeat it. It would cause distress.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Can you elaborate? It sounds like you're trying to draw a line between trigger foods and lack of will power to moderate?

Or am I totally misunderstanding?

I think plenty of people end up eating far too many calories in part because of hyper palatable foods being much harder to moderate. I think most people call these "trigger" foods".

Your definition seems to be one where they eat some chips followed by going on a rampage eating everything in the house. I'm not sure whether or not that exists, but it wouldn't surprise me if people with binge eating disorders do that.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me, trigger foods can be any foods I like and don't eat regularly because they're not particularly great for my body (cookies, pizza, ice cream, etc.).
    I think it's all mental. At least for me, once I start eating, say, a cookie then the guilt shows up and I think "Oh what the hell, I'll have it all today so there's nothing left for tomorrow and I can start fresh". And thus I end up compulsively eating all the junk in the kitchen: junk I won't be allowed to eat tomorrow.
    But it can be trained. Ironically, I think if one starts eating these "trigger foods" with a certain regularity and promises themselves to have just one serving, one can slowly break the cycle. Yesterday I managed to indulge on a cup of my favourite ice cream (only! yay!), which is a huge deal for me.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sugar and refined, white flour. They are incredibly addictive and I can't stop once I get on a sugar/flour binge. And worse, they cause my blood sugar to crash a few hours later and make me crave more to bring my levels back up. its a vicious cycle.

After lots of soul searching and being honest with myself about my eating habits. It became glaring obvious that calories aren't my problem, its sugar and white flour. Once I cut those out, I've never looked back!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    Sugar and refined, white flour. They are incredibly addictive and I can't stop once I get on a sugar/flour binge. And worse, they cause my blood sugar to crash a few hours later and make me crave more to bring my levels back up. its a vicious cycle.

After lots of soul searching and being honest with myself about my eating habits. It became glaring obvious that calories aren't my problem, its sugar and white flour. Once I cut those out, I've never looked back!

Did you ever eat white flour plain, out of the bag?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I'm going to start out very general and see where this goes:
    Do you believe in the idea of trigger foods? i.e. the notion that some foods, even in small quantities, can and do trigger binges? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 servings more than you planned, I'm talking about everything within arm's reach.

If you do, is it mental thing? Physical? other?

Yes, for people prone to binging. I think it's psychological.

I'd also say that for people not prone to binging (like me) there still may be trigger foods--foods that are harder for us to stop eating or that we tend to overeat. I think that's also psychological, and often related to emotional eating, although sometimes it is just preference and an absence of cues to stop.

For example, if you give me a piece of naan (which is a food I tend to overeat), I'll eat it and be fine. But if we have a basket on the table that gets refilled, I'll keep eating unless I plan in advance not to. That's an absence of cues to stop eating.

Before I started working on emotional eating, there were certain go-to foods that I'd eat because I had a bad day (cookies in the office break room, say), and under those circumstances I'd just keep eating, because it would make me feel better, but only until it was gone. Now I know eating under those circumstances is a trigger. There are foods I connect with that, but now that the connection is largely broken they are much less likely to lead to overeating. But it's still really hard to control myself if I decide to eat under those conditions, even now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, trigger foods can be any foods I like and don't eat regularly because they're not particularly great for my body (cookies, pizza, ice cream, etc.).
    I think it's all mental. At least for me, once I start eating, say, a cookie then the guilt shows up and I think "Oh what the hell, I'll have it all today so there's nothing left for tomorrow and I can start fresh". And thus I end up compulsively eating all the junk in the kitchen: junk I won't be allowed to eat tomorrow.
    But it can be trained. Ironically, I think if one starts eating these "trigger foods" with a certain regularity and promises themselves to have just one serving, one can slowly break the cycle. Yesterday I managed to indulge on a cup of my favourite ice cream (only! yay!), which is a huge deal for me.

Yes, I agree with this too.

• onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Many people do not have emotional/psychological issues surrounding food. For those of us who do, I absolutely believe there are trigger foods and the best way to deal with it, is to keep them out of sight and out of reach.
    It takes a lot of work and trial and effort to break the habit of allowing trigger foods to result in binges. It can be done though.
  • Bread i.e. sandwich bread, pizza, bagels, etc. I've learned to cut these things out completely as they are huge triggers for me. If I happen to slip up and eat it, I try to keep it as minimal as possible and move on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Hyperpalatable is an excellent way of stating that.
    Love it.