Lemon Roasted Asparagus

Options
ChaseAlder
ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
Ingredients:

Asparagus (however many you want, there's no minimum)
Lemon juice (mine is in the little lemon shaped bottle, it works best for squeezing)
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil (I use the no calorie olive oil spray since it's only used for moisture)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil (it helps with dishes, but it's not necessary). Coat/spray foil covered pan with a light coat of olive oil.

Spread asparagus on cookie sheet in a row. Make sure they get lightly coated in olive oil, whether that means giving them another spray or rolling them around. Squeeze a little bit of lemon over the asparagus and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake until the tips look crispy-ish and the stalks are to your taste... for me, it's about 15 minutes for super thick spears.

Enjoy!

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Olive oil (I use the no calorie olive oil spray since it's only used for moisture)

Enjoy!

This sounds yummy and I LOVE asparagus in every way shape or form (mushy canned stuff aside). Question for you since you mentioned this olive oil spray ... how well does it crisp veggies up? I LOVE oven roasted veggies but I usually use EVOO and as you know, that can really add to the calorie count. Does that spray add enough coating to get veggies crip if you are oven roasting them??
  • ChaseAlder
    Options
    Yep! I just give the tips a little extra spray before sticking them in! The longer you roast them, the crispier they'll be, too. =)
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Yep! I just give the tips a little extra spray before sticking them in! The longer you roast them, the crispier they'll be, too. =)

EXCELLENT!! Great tip! Thank you so very much ... I roast almost all of my veggies and while I know you need some good fats like olive oil, there are days that little bit of oil puts me beyond my daily calorie goal!
  • Lacey34
    Lacey34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dry-roasting your vegetables at a hot temp? I spray my baking sheet with Pam, and put them in the oven plain and dry. I have found that they get a little brown and crispy quicker, so that I am not cooking the life out of them. (I Hate mushy vegetables) A hot oven is key- I roast at about 450.

When they are done, then I add a little of whatever I am topping them with. It seems like I also use much less topping this way. Just some food for thought.
  • whitneybrook
    whitneybrook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love roasting asparagus with olive oil. It seems like lemon would work so well, but for me lemon and asparagus together create a horrible off flavor. I attribute it to the curious nature of asparagus in general. My boyfriend doesn't notice the off flavor and keeps making asparagus with lemon. Wish I had those taste buds instead. I'm not knocking the recipe - just curious if anyone else has experienced off flavors with lemon/asparagus combo.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Have you tried dry-roasting your vegetables at a hot temp? I spray my baking sheet with Pam, and put them in the oven plain and dry. I have found that they get a little brown and crispy quicker, so that I am not cooking the life out of them. (I Hate mushy vegetables) A hot oven is key- I roast at about 450.

When they are done, then I add a little of whatever I am topping them with. It seems like I also use much less topping this way. Just some food for thought.

I did it once and burned the heck out of a batch of broccoli ... by did that smell ICKY! LOL ... I may have to try it again ... and be more watchful this time :)
  • ChaseAlder
    Options
    I have never tried dry-roasting veggies, I'll have to give it a try! My favorite way to make asparagus will always be on the grill though, but roasting works when firing up the grill isn't possible.