Need new pair of workout shoes suggestions!

Options
I've been in need of new workout/everyday shoes, since my new balances have run their course.
I typically do treadmill runs, sometimes elliptical, and for just everyday at work.

Can you guys recommend any brands that give you pretty good support and handle workouts well? I carry alot of my weight in my heels. I was considering those sketcher's shape ups/tone ups, but I keep hearing mixed feelings about them..
Thanks!

(I have wide feet, so I can't do puma or anything like that!)

Replies

• kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks - watch onlineshoes.com for sales!
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just got some MBT's and i am well impressed with them. Was walking a lot yesterday and when i got up this morning i had sore legs and bum so they seem to be working for me! Not sure about working out Yet. But for a good work out i love Nike shox :)
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have been using my shape-ups for my long walks and short jogs.. I haven't started running yet, so I might need to buy real running shoes when I do... people keep telling me not to use those for exercising... but I have seriously noticed a difference in using those and my old adidas shoes.. they help me keep my heart rate up easier.. it seems I have to go faster in normal shoes and even faster in sandals... I like them but maybe it's a taste thing?

As for my other exercises I just use EA Sports Active 2 right now and I usually just do it in socks it seems easier.. and if I use the treadmill, which I haven't in awhile I just my shape-ups there to.
  • Lucky79z28
    Options
    I got a pair of Brooks and love them! They are about the same price as others but I did have to go to a fitness store to get them.
  • mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    look at going to a athletic shoe store that specializes in fitting you to a shoe based on your activities. It will pay off in the end.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I need some new ones too, i have Nike's and i like them so i'm gonna go to Lady Footlocker on the weekend and see what they have. I run and walk mostly so that's what i need them for
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My workout and my everyday shoes are always different pairs.

Workout shoes tend to have mesh on them, giving more air circulation to reduce sweaty stickiness.
    If I wear mesh everyday-style, I will inevitably spill coffee or garbage or something nasty on my foot and the nastiness sinks right thru and just YUK. So I avoid using the same pair.
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    I like my Soucony shoes. My legs feel less tired in them and my feet don't hurt.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go into a running store and get fitted with a shoe that fits your foot properly. I started doing this a few years ago and now I don't have near as much problems with injuries.

Now the secret....Once you find the shoe that works for you, go online to zappos.com and you can usually get it cheaper their. My $140 pair of shoes were only $110 on Zappos.

A good pair of shoes are worth every penny....don't be affaid to splurge.

Good Luck!
  • hotpinkduck
    Options
    brooks are the only tennis shoes that support me enough to where i dont get shin splints!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    you should go to a speciality store and get fitted for proper shoes for your activities...this will prevent injuries in the future
  • hotpinkduck
    Options
    brooks are the only tennis shoes that support me enough to where i dont get shin splints!!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are Adidas Kanadia. I like them well enough. Wore them to Six Flags last weekend and they held up well. They are good runners though.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your foot and fit. If you run and live someplace with a great runner's shoe store, they are the best for fitting you for running shoes. Usually they even let you run in them for a day or two and bring back if they don't work out. All my running stores have had this policy. For running I've always found Saucony is best fit for me (I pronate on one side on my feet). For gym workouts and walking around I love Nikes and Nike Factory stores are a great option!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I love my Pearl Izumis. They're seamless inside, so if you have wider feet you don't get that problem of skin going between the body and the foot pad.

I would recommend going to a specialty store though... they'll analyze how your old shoes are worn, how you walk, the shape of your foot, etc. and let you know what would work best.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have Nike+ lunar fly and Nike+ Lunar glide, I like them both a lot! 6pm.com has a lot of good deals. Example- the lunar fly are $80 and on 6pm.com they are $68 I believe.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    I have the Sketchers Shape Up Shoes, so cute Black & White with Diamonds however, I don't feel they're for working out in terms of Aerobics etc. I've decided their more of a Novelty shoe instead. I mostly use them to Grocery Shop etc or too just look like your an athletic person because they Rock & I feel bouncy in them. I haven't noticed any toning with them. A friend of mine hasn't noticed any toning either. I think (for me) I would like a nice pair of Nikes to use on my Elliptical machine.

Right now I would be happy to wear any shoes but cut my (big) toe on a flooring sample & have been wearing flip flops this week & not been able to work out properly. It's odd that such a small thing can make/break a persons life. :sad:

Try them on & see for yourself:flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of New Balance but I can't just get the kind they sell in regular retail stores, I have to get the ones that cost over $100 in order to get the right support and fit. I also get Spenco arch supports (regular or for runners) for a little extra shock absorbtion.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I am on my 3rd pair of asics. Love them. I get a new set every 300 miles or so. Which for me is about every 6 months.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics Gel-170TR